Can I get some help with an internet issue?

TranquilKnight

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Internet Issue

Whenever I connect my 730 with wifi modem, internet connection (not WiFi connection, DSL light turns off) drops and reconnects. Sometimes it goes into loops of disconnection-connection and sometimes it happens just once or twice.

Here is what happens normally while connecting wifi:
-730 connects immediately and everything works fine. Windows store, web browsers, all other apps like Amazon, Flipkart, Bookviser etc.

Now internet connection drops...

Now when it reconnects after going off:
-730 takes too much time to connect to wifi and sometimes it doesn't connect.
-Web browsing doesn't work, store doesn't open and only working apps are WhatsApp and Telegram. That also only text messages. Images and videos don't download. Also, Windows phone version of WhatsApp notifies sometimes that there's a connectivity issue.
-Meanwhile internet access on PC is normal.

This is Windows forum so I've mentioned only L730 problem. However, this also happens in Android devices, icon turns grey, only WhatsApp and Telegram works.
Every single smartphone causes disconnection but none of the PCs.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Internet Issue

If this issue happens with any smartphone you use, it sounds like a problem with the modem or router.

Which modem and router do you use?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Whenever I connect my 730 with wifi modem, internet connection (not WiFi connection, DSL light turns off) drops and reconnects. Sometimes it goes into loops of disconnection-connection and sometimes it happens just once or twice.

Here is what happens normally while connecting wifi:
-730 connects immediately and everything works fine. Windows store, web browsers, all other apps like Amazon, Flipkart, Bookviser etc.

Now internet connection drops...

Now when it reconnects after going off:
-730 takes too much time to connect to wifi and sometimes it doesn't connect.
-Web browsing doesn't work, store doesn't open and only working apps are WhatsApp and Telegram. That also only text messages. Images and videos don't download. Also, Windows phone version of WhatsApp notifies sometimes that there's a connectivity issue.
-Meanwhile internet access on PC is normal.

This is Windows forum so I've mentioned only L730 problem. However, this also happens in Android devices, icon turns grey, only WhatsApp and Telegram works.
Every single smartphone causes disconnection but none of the PCs.

Every device is connected with Wi-Fi.

Then, how is it that the "internet access on the PC is normal", but at the same time the "internet connection (not WiFi connection, DSL lights turn off) drops and reconnects"?

Also, does your Wi-Fi router have a DSL light indicator? Which device were you referring to with the DSL lights turning off? If it is your modem DSL lights that go off, then whatever connects to your Wi-Fi router seems to have nothing to do with it... but since it seems apparent that this only happens when mobile phones connect through Wi-Fi, a causality seems to be established.

Do you have a different Wi-Fi router?

Or, try contacting your internet service provider regarding your DSL modem.

TranquilKnight

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site

Then, how is it that the "internet access on the PC is normal", but at the same time the "internet connection (not WiFi connection, DSL lights turn off) drops and reconnects"?

Also, does your Wi-Fi router have a DSL light indicator? Which device were you referring to with the DSL lights turning off? If it is your modem DSL lights that go off, then whatever connects to your Wi-Fi router seems to have nothing to do with it... but since it seems apparent that this only happens when mobile phones connect through Wi-Fi, a causality seems to be established.

Do you have a different Wi-Fi router?

Or, try contacting your internet service provider regarding your DSL modem.

I use wireless modem. DSL light turns off on this modem.

configure-bsnl-zte-modem.png

I mean after turning on modem it works fine for some time including phones. After some time connection drops and reconnects automatically. Now after reconnection all PCs can access internet but neither of phones can. Androids show grey WiFi icon and Windows Phones may/may not connect.

Yup I've used two different wireless modems. Same problem.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the clarification.

I've done some readings in the past few moments... came across a solution which other users have found to work. Basically, if you can go to your router settings then set the 802.11 to either "b" or "g" (not multiple); test which one works for your phones since there's a chance that only one of those two settings will work.

Other proposed solutions involve changing the gateway settings, manually setting a static IP address... but I think these are device-specific (and probably location-specific) solutions.

Let us know if this works.

TranquilKnight

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the clarification.

I've done some readings in the past few moments... came across a solution which other users have found to work. Basically, if you can go to your router settings then set the 802.11 to either "b" or "g" (not multiple); test which one works for your phones since there's a chance that only one of those two settings will work.

Other proposed solutions involve changing the gateway settings, manually setting a static IP address... but I think these are device-specific (and probably location-specific) solutions.

Let us know if this works.

Hmm...did everything you said. Now set to '54g auto'.
I already had assigned IPs to all devices. So I enabled DHCP server and removed all IPs and it worked until IP address conflict error appeared. Now I've assigned IPs to all PCs (not phones. Only PCs which showed IP conflict error.) and everything seems fine. In past half day disconnection-reconnection occurred only 2-3 times instead of every 20-30 minutes.

And what should be in gateway settings? I don't know anything about that.

Also, any idea why only WhatsApp and Telegram messenger worked?

Thanks for giving your time for helping me out :smile:

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Looks like our initial guess was partially correct after all.:cool:

I'm not sure about the gateway settings; all I know is that it has something to do with how the computer finds or connects to the device which connects to the internet (I'm not even sure about this!), and that the setting usually is 192.168.1.N where N is any integer from 1 to 255. I don't usually mess around with my gateway settings, but if ever you're going to change anything make sure to take note of the default value first.

As for why only WhatsApp andTelegram messenger is working, I also am not sure. It may have something to do with the type of connection, the bandwidth... or that the other apps are simply not updating on their own. The Messenger (FB) app, for example, has been noted by many users (including myself) to be one of those apps that suddenly does not update on its own.

No problem, you're welcome. Let us know what you find with your Gateway settings.:smile:

TranquilKnight

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site

Looks like our initial guess was partially correct after all.:cool:

I'm not sure about the gateway settings; all I know is that it has something to do with how the computer finds or connects to the device which connects to the internet (I'm not even sure about this!), and that the setting usually is 192.168.1.N where N is any integer from 1 to 255. I don't usually mess around with my gateway settings, but if ever you're going to change anything make sure to take note of the default value first.

As for why only WhatsApp andTelegram messenger is working, I also am not sure. It may have something to do with the type of connection, the bandwidth... or that the other apps are simply not updating on their own. The Messenger (FB) app, for example, has been noted by many users (including myself) to be one of those apps that suddenly does not update on its own.

No problem, you're welcome. Let us know what you find with your Gateway settings.:smile:

Hmmm...modem gateway is 192.168.1.1. I don't mess with it.
But I've noticed that every time modem reconnects default gateway of ISP changes from 117 series IP to 59 series IP & 59 always ends up being disconnected, reconnects to 117. So this suggests one of the problems is at ISP exchange. ISP engineer in my area says "Don't know why". I can't even change ISP, they're the only one.

At my end, changes as per your suggestions made connection much more stable :)

I think it's type of connection. All MSN apps show "An Error Occured" immediately. Windows Store shows "Can't connect" and all other apps keep showing 'loading'. WhatsApp/Telegram load messages but no media sharing.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Nice observation there.

"Don't know why" doesn't sound like a good response from an "engineer"; he (or she) should at least give you some re-assurance that he (or she) would be looking into your concern.

At least now things seem more stable now, hopefully your ISP would actually look into what you have observed.:cool:

TranquilKnight

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site

Nice observation there.

"Don't know why" doesn't sound like a good response from an "engineer"; he (or she) should at least give you some re-assurance that he (or she) would be looking into your concern.

At least now things seem more stable now, hopefully your ISP would actually look into what you have observed.:cool:

I googled about it and found that there are thousands of customers who have faced this issue. Hopefully they'll resolve this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb