Thinking about a Lumia 735

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey, guys, one question. Does Lumia 730 have glance screen on Windows 10 mobile? I know that it doesn't have it on Windows Phone 8.1, and I don't hope for much, but it would be great if it had glance screen on Windows 10 mobile. :)
No change unfortunately.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. :)

I may get it these days from a friend of mine, that's why I asked. :) So it's going to be a trade for me - changing glance screen for much better camera than the one I have with Lumia 532.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, thinking about getting this phone for my daughter as a replacement for her 820 coz its the same size...but two questions...

Confirm it works on ATT with LTE if you have RM-1039?
Confirm it is still supportable by MS and can be upgraded to the Anniversary Update (without needing to be an Insider?)

All this because her 820 can't be upgraded to AU so her new Garmin Vivosmart HR band won't get notifications...

Need <5" phone!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, thinking about getting this phone for my daughter as a replacement for her 820 coz its the same size...but two questions...

Confirm it works on ATT with LTE if you have RM-1039?
Confirm it is still supportable by MS and can be upgraded to the Anniversary Update (without needing to be an Insider?)

All this because her 820 can't be upgraded to AU so her new Garmin Vivosmart HR band won't get notifications...

Need <5" phone!
It should work just fine on ATT. Yes it is officially supported by MS so all you would need to upgrade is the Upgrade Advisor app.

What is important to her? The Lumia 550 is also around that size, but the camera isn't as nice.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
She even won't give up her old 822 when we switched away from Verizon. Still uses it for games and pictures coz the camera is better than the 820. Both are sub-5" and have Qi charging which is also important to her coz our cars have Qi cradles in them.

I just put a 735 in my cart at B&H. Need to wait until Saturday evening to process. Will discuss with her tomorrow if she wants to make the switch.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a 735. Unfortunately, I cannot source brand new local stock which leaves international sellers/models as my only option. I found an RM-1038 variant on eBay for $AU159.99 in Hong Kong. It's a bit much for a two-year-old phone, but I prefer to pick one up brand new rather than used, scratched and grimy for half the price.

Just a quick question: Because it's an international model (and foregoing an adapter, which I have anyway), is it possible to use an existing USB charger with AUS plug from my 640 or 635? Will there be any problems or is it perfectly interchangeable?

Last edited:

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick question: Because it's an international model (and foregoing an adapter, which I have anyway), is it possible to use an existing USB charger with AUS plug from my 640 or 635? Will there be any problems or is it perfectly interchangeable?
I'd think that micro-USB is universal, no matter where it's from, no?
FYI, we just ordered the 735...should arrive on the 4th...

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Got it. Upgrading to Win 10 first. Need to get a nano-SIM card at the AT&T store. Will let you know how it goes.

A couple of questions for when you're ready.

How'd everything go? Is the screen a bit ghosty during transitions or fast movements on screen? And what's the performance like in W10M?

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Just came back from AT&T store this evening. The tech took a bit of time figuring out how to get the nano-SIM to activate (I was a bit worried for a while). Thing works like a champ now. Screen is crisp and sharp, transitions are smooth and fast. I didn't use it "in" Win8.1 mode very long - went straight to W10M upgrade. Seems fine as-is. Everything works as advertised - daughter is installing apps now and getting used to the on-screen nav controls. No camera button but not a biggie. I bought an extra battery for $11 and needed to order a (white) Qi wireless charging back cover because it didn't come with it...and the only place that sold white was Verizon! (we're on AT&T). Doesn't matter coz she'll have a purple shock proof case on it. The biggest loss will be no Glance on it. That stinks. Otherwise, a good $90 purchase.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I also installed w10m right away after getting the phone before the New Year. It works great. I switched to it from Lumia 532, so I thought I would miss the glance screen, but l actually I don't. I just grab it, double tap or something, and I also see everything in an instant.

Those who upgrade. Some say that Lumia camera is still better than Windows camera, so if you want to keep it, after the hard reset on w10m turn of automatic updates in the Store, and don't update Lumia camera. I use Windows camera only, but I'm just saying.

Oh, and only do the hard reset right after getting w10m, that is the version 1511, and after that setup everything including calendar, and that don't do any hard reset after getting the 1607 version. No need for that, and you will avoid the calendar live tile issue.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
^ I would say so.

I noticed the picture quality degradation too when I moved to W10, fortunately Sight Camera360 saved the day.
It's my primary camera app now.

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
She even won't give up her old 822 when we switched away from Verizon. Still uses it for games and pictures coz the camera is better than the 820. Both are sub-5" and have Qi charging which is also important to her coz our cars have Qi cradles in them.

I just put a 735 in my cart at B&H. Need to wait until Saturday evening to process. Will discuss with her tomorrow if she wants to make the switch.

Well, from a camera perspective, it sounds like it will be a side step rather than a upgrade. Both have Zeiss optics, where the 822 is 8 mp, the 735 is 6.7 mp. The 735 does have a faster lens at f/1.9 compared to f/2.2. Doesn't sound like the 822 has OIS so that's not missing much.

As an alternative (if you were toying with the idea and hadn't purchased the 735), a Lumia 830 might also be worth considering. 10 mp PureView camera and just a hair bigger at 5".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss