Phone Update on Windows Phone 8.1

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I am continually getting a message to install an update on my Lumia 735 Windows 8.1 OS phone.

Can I set the phone so that it doesn't keep asking for an update to Windows 10?

I suspect this is Windows 10 which I don't want to install or it might be a Win 8.1 update. How can I tell what the update is?

Thanks,

Nevica

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, to get Windows 10 you would have to have installed and run the 'Upgrade Advisor' app.
Otherwise it is likely a Windows 8 or possibly firmware update.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
no update has been currently released for windows phone 8.1 . It has to be windows phone 10. Do you have upgrade advisor app installed in your device and have you run it even once?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, you can't make it stop prompting you for updates. That update is probably an update to get your phone ready for Windows 10 Mobile. Windows 10 Mobile is installed through the Upgrade Advisor app only. If you don't have the app, you wouldn't have Windows 10 Mobile unless you have Windows Insider installed on your phone.

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Here is a twist,

I do have upgrade advisor and I have run it. It is telling me to install the windows 8.1 update in preparation for WIN 10.

When I go to options/update

Here is what it says.

"An important update is available and you should install it as soon as possible.

You won't be able to use your phone while the update installs. This should take 5 to 10 minutes, but could take longer.

Lumia update for Windows Phone."

So it says it is a Lumia update and not a Microsoft update. What is this update please?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Probably some small firmware or other update. Remember, in order to get 10 (ignoring Insider) you would have to manually check a box saying "Enable Windows 10 upgrade"

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
A small firmware update taking 5 - 10 minutes to install????

I don't understand how it can be small if it takes 5 to 10 minutes to install.

It's more likely a preparation update for WIN 10. Can anyone confirm this please.

Thanks,

Daniel

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand what you are asking. So you want to update to W10 (because you downloaded and ran the Upgrade Advisor) - but now you want your phone to stop displaying that you have an update pending.
Why don't you just update then?
Please elaborate!
:confused:

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I want to stay on WIN 8.1.

I don't know what is the update it is asking me to install.. It seems that a 5 - 10 minute update isn't trivial! I am concerened it is WIN10 which I definitely don't want to install.

In the past I installed WIN 10 on the phone and didn't like it at all partly because a lot of software didn't work. Here Drive for a start which I use all the time. So I reverted back to WIN 8.1 so I could run the apps I wanted. I have no interest in messing around trying to get apps to work on WIN 10. I would rather have an operating system that does all I want it to (Which WIN 8.1 does already!)

Nevica

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
So how long did it take to upgrade to Win10 last time? 5-10 mins is a small update. To upgrade to Win10 should take significantly longer than that. Somewhere between 20-40 mins depending on number of apps, and other data stored.

Just do it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. It always says 5-10 minutes.
In my experience, most phone updates take at least 15 minutes even for trivial stuff, so your frame of reference on how long an update takes is a bit off.

The Windows 10 update would take more like 30 minutes or an hour.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
if this is the intermediary update to win8, that gets installed before win10, then afaik there is no stopping it now, you can delay it only for so long, and i think, it will automatically update now at this stage.....at least this is what i seem to remember from ages ago with my phone, when i had run the upgrade advisor. hopefully i am wrong and/or they may have changed how "insistent" it is forcing you to do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion