Bummer! Lumia 800 does NOT sport Gorilla Glass, nor Anti-glare polariser

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 800 does HAVE sport Gorilla Glass AND Anti-glare polariser (I was dumb)

The Lumia 800 DOES have Gorilla Glass :) CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS | NOKIA

**EDIT: OK I WAS A FOOL!!! It HAS gorilla glass

Nokia's customer service sucks! =(

Do those features matter to you for Nokia's "real windows phone"? Share your 2 cents.

**EDIT: Actually Lumia 800 does have Anti-Glare Polariser, because it's the same as ClearBlack Display, check here ClearBlack Display = Anti-Glare Polariser? YES! .

Official Response I got from Nokia:

----------------------------------
Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Nokia Careline.

We are happy to hear of your interest in the Nokia Lumia 800.

With regard to the specifications that you have mentioned, kindly do note that these are not sported by the Nokia Lumia 800. For the official specifications of the Nokia Lumia 800, kindly refer to the link below:

Nokia Lumia 800 Specifications - Nokia - UK

We hope that these have cleared up any confusion regarding the mobile.

You may check our website for updates and other Nokia related information. Kindly refer to the link below:

Support - Nokia - UK

You may also call our Customer Care Hotline at 0845-045-5555, Mon-Fri 9am-7pm (except bank and public holidays).

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions.

Yours sincerely,

AmXXXXX F.
Nokia Service Professional
UK & Ireland Team
Nokia Care

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Country:UNITED KINGDOM]
[Language:English]
[Gender:M]
[Contact topic:Nokia devices and accessories]
[Contact subtopic:Support, Service Points or repair]
[Message:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am about to pre-order Nokia Lumia 800 but part of the specs is confusing and I would like to get some inputs from Nokia.

As Nokia Lumia 800 is the close brother of N9, I am curious if Nokia Lumia 800 also sports a gorilla glass screen as N9, and if it also has the anti-glare polariser as N9 does.

I checked throughout the website but didn't find details on my questions. I would much appreciate it if you could answer me as soon as possible, so that I can initiate my pre-order process.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
XXXXXXXXX]
[Phone model:Others]

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
You assume that Nokia customer services know what they're talking about. You have already proved they were wrong about the Anti-Glare Polariser.

The display unit (beneath the glass?) is different from the N9 as it's a different resolution, but why would they manufacture a different curved glass component from the N9?

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
You assume that Nokia customer services know what they're talking about. You have already proved they were wrong about the Anti-Glare Polariser.

The display unit (beneath the glass?) is different from the N9 as it's a different resolution, but why would they manufacture a different curved glass component from the N9?

They do know what they are talking about. And yes, Nokia does differentiate Anti-Glare Polariser from ClearBlack Display. What I proved is that they are based on the same secret sauce.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Regarding your second point: I highly suspect that the screens for N9 and Lumia 800 are the same, but the curved glasses are not the same.

Look at it this way, what they need to do is just to make the 54*480 stripe at the bottom of N9 screen glow white when needed. If you look at the Lumia 800 glass closely, you can clearly see that the touch buttons are painted on the other side of the curved glass, to black out the white glow and form the button shapes.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
To be honest i don't think 99% of potential purchasers / users care if it has Gorilla glass or not, if they like the look and function of the phone they'll buy it.

I purchased my Omnia because of WP and the design of the phone, didn't bother me whether it had gorilla glass or not.

And i did know about Gorilla Glass's existence.

Just my thoughts. :)

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
To be honest i don't think 99% of potential purchasers / users care if it has Gorilla glass or not, if they like the look and function of the phone they'll buy it.

I purchased my Omnia because of WP and the design of the phone, didn't bother me whether it had gorilla glass or not.

And i did know about Gorilla Glass's existence.

Just my thoughts. :)

I can't say for the market, but as I usually put my phone in the pocket, I certainly want Gorilla Glass.

Feels a bit weird cuz they downgraded N9 then put WP7 on this. No FFC I can understand because of the buttons, but not even just a simple scratch resistant glass? Seriously?

Another problem is, where to find a screen protector for the curved glass that will fit perfectly?

=S

After putting those case and protector on, Lumia 800 just lost its beauty... =(

Ok fine, I just hope Focus S doesn't have gorilla glass so I won't be jealous. =D

Last edited:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I hope you enjoy your Lumia 800 when it arrives, gorilla glass or not desmonium. (Love it's design loads) :)

(No benefits over my Omnia 7 so don't wan't a Lumia)

I'm patiently waiting for something new in the Super Amoled camp, will wait till new Year and see if i can be tempted to import a Samsung Focus S if it's not forthcoming here, or even a Nokia Ace if it emerges from vapourware. (HTC Titan's pixelation is putting me off it)

Exciting times ahead for sure. Decisions, Decisions. :)

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh i wouldn't worry about screen protectors, give em a few weeks and they'll be here.

You can get them for the Dell Venue Pro and you can't get a more curved screen than that. LOL

dell venue pro screen protector | eBay

Omnia's hard button is a plus.

Hah. Dell Venue Pro's curvature is from left to right. Wrap a sheet then you will be fine.

But Lumia 800's is both side-to-side and top-to-bottom, more like a dome. ;) not easy this time.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh well you'll just have to get a sock for it desmonium.

Yes one up on the Focus. (Same phone)

Well 2 up really, because it's not plastic. (Sorry Focus owners) ;)

If only they'd bring out the Focus S here in an Omnia 7 style case, I would be in phone heaven. Sigh.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh well you'll just have to get a sock for it desmonium.

Yes one up on the Focus. (Same phone)

Well 2 up really, because it's not plastic. (Sorry Focus owners) ;)

If only they'd bring out the Focus S here in an Omnia 7 style case, I would be in phone heaven. Sigh.

I really don't understand why Samsung doesn't case all their phones in an aluminum body like they did with the Omnia. It gives a very solid feel, and it looks fantastic. Why they continue to use lightweight, sometimes cheap, feeling plastic here in the States I do not know.

However, I will still be getting the Focus S, to hold me over until Nokia drops their US line.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand why Samsung doesn't case all their phones in an aluminum body like they did with the Omnia. It gives a very solid feel, and it looks fantastic. Why they continue to use lightweight, sometimes cheap, feeling plastic here in the States I do not know.

Yeah, i don't get the thinking behind that either 3migo.

Could you get me a Focus S too please ? Oh and preferably without the AT&T nonsense on the front LOL ;)

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

However, I will still be getting the Focus S, to hold me over until Nokia drops their US line.

To provide the thinnest and lightest phone, for some marketing purpose. (8.5mm and 110g)

Think about it this way, with cheap plastic, there is no need to add any case or protector and you don't feel heartbroken if it gets scratched. Now that's called robust and elegant, compared to iPhone with huge ugly rubber case?

=D

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
While Gorilla Glass is very hard to break, it does scratch, if you want to prevent scratches use a screen protector. I'm not a big Samsung fan, but those 'cheap plastic' Samsung phones were generally more durable than the HTC phones I've owned.

isir

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

First post around here so Hi! first of all. Looks like you have a nice community.

Just wanted to share a link I have seen today in Nokia's twitter: Nokia Connects | 8 things you didn’t know about the Nokia Lumia 800

Nothing really interesting other than the point 8: "The screen is lit up by an AMOLED Clear Black Display, fortified with curved Gorilla glass to make your gestures feel smooth like silk. The Gorilla glass is perfect for protecting the Lumia 800 against scratches when it’s in your pocket with coins and keys."

So we are getting different information from different sources. It would be nice to know if it actually has Gorilla glass or not!

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

First post around here so Hi! first of all. Looks like you have a nice community.

Just wanted to share a link I have seen today in Nokia's twitter: Nokia Connects | 8 things you didn?t know about the Nokia Lumia 800

Nothing really interesting other than the point 8: "The screen is lit up by an AMOLED Clear Black Display, fortified with curved Gorilla glass to make your gestures feel smooth like silk. The Gorilla glass is perfect for protecting the Lumia 800 against scratches when it?s in your pocket with coins and keys."

So we are getting different information from different sources. It would be nice to know if it actually has Gorilla glass or not!

Many blogs say it has gorilla glass but most of it is based on the assumption that 800 got same bold as N9. Really have to dig into Nokia's official specs for N9 and 800 to see what is going on.

L

lumic

Many blogs say it has gorilla glass but most of it is based on the assumption that 800 got same bold as N9. Really have to dig into Nokia's official specs for N9 and 800 to see what is going on.
What makes you think that their spec sheets are correct? They've already revised them numerous times after false reports of a microSD slot and such. The people who put up those sheets are very, very prone to error and often just copy and paste.

I honestly couldn't care less about Gorilla Glass branding, it's not impossible to fortify glass in other ways or separately. However, I have no idea why you'd think that the addition of glowing capacitive buttons would mean that at totally different glass would be used.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
What makes you think that their spec sheets are correct? They've already revised them numerous times after false reports of a microSD slot and such. The people who put up those sheets are very, very prone to error and often just copy and paste.

I honestly couldn't care less about Gorilla Glass branding, it's not impossible to fortify glass in other ways or separately. However, I have no idea why you'd think that the addition of glowing capacitive buttons would mean that at totally different glass would be used.

Look. they only took off certain points from the specs sheet, but not adding anything. That surely says something.

Nokia won't be dumb enough to afford such a mistake in terms of marketing. Go check all the hands-on done by Nokia's people - not bloggers, they mentioned how beautiful the screen if but never the Gorilla Glass.

You can choose to believe it has gorilla glass and even try knifing some Lumia 800. I am not against it. Just try not to let your affection overwhelm your reasoning.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Beat me to it mojav.

Anyway whilst reading this I decided to dig out my old Omnia 7 which is beaten up everywhere but the glass. The glass being in perfect condition.

I never look after it, it goes in the pocket with the change it gets dropped and I even let my boy play on it and other than the cosmetic nicks and scratches on the casing the screen is as good now as it was when I got it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos