Lumia 800, Hype or All That

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
This is my first post (of hopefully many) in this forum. I have been a long time Blackberry user and I am currently rocking an Android (Sony Ericsson) while waiting for the Lumia to hit the streets in Denmark (in January).

First reports I heard about the Lumia was not exactly overwhelming and I was thinking: OK, can they really do this. (the much anticipated turnaround for both Nokia and Windows Phone)

So I have spend a lot of time to read just about all the reviews I have been able to find and I am feeling more and more reassured. You see first off I thought that they "Just installed Windows on a N9", I mean - How hard can that be?

But learning the fact that this is a completely diffferent phone that has been put together from scratch in such a short time, has given me the impression that they really CAN do this.

But what is Your take on the 800?

Is it just Hyped? Or is it really alt that!

BR Mio, a soon to be Lumia 800 owner.:cool:

jason404

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It's a great phone, and a great OS. It's a design masterpiece - ergonomic, durable, functional and beautiful. It deserves a place in a design museum much more than any iPhone.

I wish the camera was a little better and I hope battery life will improve with the forthcoming OS updates, but otherwise, I honestly think that this is the best phone currently available.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Agreeing with jason404, the Lumia 800 is a superb phone from Nokia coming into the Windows Phone ecosystem. The design and screen quality allows you to actually enjoy using the phone and the feel/handling is unmatched (for me personally). It's always down to personal preference, but I'd certainly recommend the 800.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It's a really good phone with a real high-end feel (the glass front and casing are awesome) and amazing ability to cling to signal, and it's probably the only Windows Phone I'd put on par with the minimalist but striking design of the iPhone 4. Plus the Nokia exclusive apps are a major selling point. But it does have a few niggles too. I've had a few software blips (two instances of a totally black screen after a call when the phone is still on - assume this is a proximity sensor error - and one instance of random reset), and the camera is a bit weak at the moment and needs effort to coax decent shots (though some of that - hopefully a lot of it - will be fixed in the upcoming camera update). Do't get me wrong, it can take great photos - they just take work to get tweaking settings and the auto settings/defaults can give you some howlers. It's also bewildering that the free case doesn't have any protection for the one bit of the phone (the silver back panel) that scratches really easily! I'm also a bit worried about the flimsiness/fiddlyness of the charge port cover/SIM slot.

My only other bugbear is the screen being pentile, meaning you can see fringing/pixellation in some instances. The contrast and colour are fabulous though.

I'd say all round it's the best WP7 phone there is with the best exclusive features and the nicest, most standout hardware (unless sheer physical screen size is your thing, then the Titan might edge it), and easily has potential to extend that lead with a few software tweaks - which I hope it does very soon. Then it will go from very good to truly great.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
and the camera is a bit weak at the moment and needs effort to coax decent shots (though some of that - hopefully a lot of it - will be fixed in the upcoming camera update)

Very odd how the default setting is for macro!

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
When I first held my Lumia my initial reaction was "Man this is the best phone I have ever held" the unibody design is fantastic just the feel of the device is amazing plus the screen is just top notch.

Thats just the hardware part of it

Now in terms of the software first I was like ok its the same old Mango nothing to much different from my Samsung Focus. So I got all my settings setup accordingly and got a few 3rd party apps and man the more I played around with it the more I got hooked.

The tiles look so much better the phone is brought to life the screen the colors everything even the grib I consistantly am amazed on how well built this phone is.

The keyboard is great better than my focus
The screen size is good to even though its a bit smaller it renders web pages with ez
The OS is blazing fast not too much faster from my Focus but I notice apps such as FUSE load faster with multiple feeds
Zune marketplace looks great!
I havent gamed on it
Camera is good I aint to anal about pictures its good enough for me

The only downside is that the Lumia isn't future proof I will get a new Lumia next year because of LTE, FFC NFC etc

Is it wortht he price I paid for 800$ I would have to say for me yes its an amazing phone but for others I say probably not wait until Lumia hits your country with updated features.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
$800 is too steep for me... I haven't even done that much with unlocked devices like the Nexus One or the original iPhone that was originally $600 (got a $100 credit for the early adopters).

The Lumia 800 does make my mouth water just a tad bit w/o even seeing it or holding it in person :blush:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion