Lumia is made in what country?

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
For those of you who has Lumia, can you guys check and see where is nokia lumia made in?

Thanks.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

jason404

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It appears to be made in China, like everything else these days.

I have a sticker on the micro-SIM tray which has "Model RM-801", which I think is the internal designation for the Lumia 800, and "Made in China", "Nokia Corporation", a symbol for no disposal in household waste and something that looks a bit like a QR code.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
if that so. kind of dissapointing. I was hoping its not made in. china for that price.

appreciate if you guys can also check if your lumia is also made in china?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Nokia smartphones are usually made in multiple Nokia factories. Most of the time China feeds Asian market and Finland feeds European market. That's smartphones, low end phones are never made in Finland.

Lumia 800 has been a bit confusing in that part. There has been some reports that the 800 isn't assembled by Nokia at all, but by somebody like Foxconn or similar. Though some of the operator models are being finished in Finland.
Elop did at least confirm that Lumia 710 will be made in Nokia's Brazil factory and maybe in some others.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
yes I read somewhere about foxconn factory. but if it's made in china i guess its not made by foxconn.

since it's made in china, how do you guys honestly think about the built quality?

trmnta82

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Made in China.

And I honestly don't think that affects the build quality these days. Isn't it a bit racist to assume Chinese people can't do as good of a job as a Finnish person? Just because they demand less money for the job doesn't mean they're not qualified...

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it a bit racist to assume Chinese people can't do as good of a job as a Finnish person? Just because they demand less money for the job doesn't mean they're not qualified...
I don't think that assumption has anything to do with race, it's just a concern over the facilities in China versus those in Finland, which is a genuine concern, if mostly perception rather than reality nowadays.

On that note, my Lumia has near-flawless build quality except for a wobbly power button.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It all has to do with how Nokia is monitoring the manufacturing of their product. They stated that in order to ramp up quickly, they had to outsource their first batch of phones to a third party. Not that unusual really. But with the entire existence of the company riding on these new Windows phones, I am sure there is a Fin looking over the shoulder of almost every assembly line. Won't be a concern for me when Nokias reach the US mainland.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

for.doc

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It all has to do with how Nokia is monitoring the manufacturing of their product. They stated that in order to ramp up quickly, they had to outsource their first batch of phones to a third party. Not that unusual really. But with the entire existence of the company riding on these new Windows phones, I am sure there is a Fin looking over the shoulder of almost every assembly line. Won't be a concern for me when Nokias reach the US mainland.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
I have owned a couple of Nokias in the past. They have said "Designed in Finland," but made in China. My last (N900) was made in China. Wonderful build quality.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
In the Nokia community this made in somewhere else and made in Finland is age old question actually. :D Something that usually has been just concluded that there's no difference. Assembly process is standardized for the device, but just made in a different location.
At one point people where buying Made in Finland sticker from Ebay so they could sell their Nokia phones in a higher price...

I have owned a couple of Nokias in the past. They have said "Designed in Finland," but made in China. My last (N900) was made in China. Wonderful build quality.
Sure it wasn't made in Korea? Yeah N900 reads Designed in Finland on the metal backplate.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Made in China.

And I honestly don't think that affects the build quality these days. Isn't it a bit racist to assume Chinese people can't do as good of a job as a Finnish person? Just because they demand less money for the job doesn't mean they're not qualified...

It has nothing to do with an individual or race. It has to do with standards.

Unless these articles are lying, it's enough of a reason for me to try and avoid Chinese products when ever possible:

Chinese makers of shoddy goods rarely face U.S. sanctions | McClatchy

Recalls: Should U.S. companies share some blame with China? - Aug. 2, 2007

2007 Chinese export recalls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chinese Products Recalls and Recall Information

Editorials | Commentary: Beware of toxic Chinese toys | The Detroit News

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
nothing to do with race but it has to do with standard quality of everything, workmanship, materials, machinery, precision etc.
There is definitely a price you have to pay as a consequence for trying to get cheaper. Thats the way I see it.

in addition, it is also based on personal experience with products made in china.
Granted not all made in china has bad quality. For sure.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Surely a better question to ask would have been about the build quality of the Lumia then, rather than where it was made.

And on that note, the build quality is superb, as has been said in several reviews.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 800 and 900 were the last phones still assembled in Salo, Finland, my hometown. Whether you have a Made in China or Made in Finland Lumia mostly depends where you are located.

Finnish made phones usually went to Europe while Chinese made to the US and to the rest of the world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3