Is there a way to totaly reinstall Windows from scratch?

Bure

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey

I'm a very new user of Win Phone and I need to know if there is a way to totally unistall and reinstall Win on a Lumia 800?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

You can do a reset Bure and restore your Lumia to it's state you got it out of the box.
(Settings / About / Reset My Phone)

Providing you haven't updated it to a newer version of the operating system in Zune.

Welcome along to WPCentral. :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
That will totally wipe your phone to an out of the box state, providing you didn't update it via Zune to a later version of the operating system than the phone came with.

EG if when you got the phone and it came with Mango (7720) and you updated it with Zune to 7740, you will be stuck with 7740.

It will totally wipe your phone though, you can't install windows yourself unless you flash a ROM onto your Lumia.

(No idea if they are even available yet for Lumias)

If you have used Zune to update, you could always try it's restore option.

What problems are you having with your phone Bure?

Bure

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
That will totally wipe your phone to an out of the box state, providing you didn't update it via Zune to a later version of the operating system than the phone came with.

EG if when you got the phone and it came with Mango (7720) and you updated it with Zune to 7740, you will be stuck with 7740.

It will totally wipe your phone though, you can't install windows yourself unless you flash a ROM onto your Lumia.

(No idea if they are even available yet for Lumias)

If you have used Zune to update, you could always try it's restore option.

What problems are you having with your phone Bure?
I guess I need to flash a ROM then :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Why won't a reset do, if i may ask?

Flashing a ROM is much more risky than the standard phone reset.

I have flashed plenty of ROMS on my previous Omnia 7 but
can't advise you about Lumia ROM flashing as i know nothing about what's
available for it as it's relatively new.

Do a reset before you even think about ROM flashing your Lumia. :)

Last edited:

Bure

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I got a Lumia today but it's demo phone so it contains om kind of demo OS (a demo screen saver etc), so I want to install a "clean" Windows version.

RustyU

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
There seems to be a few mentions of these demo phones around, I'm beginning to think people are nicking display models and selling them. Forums then get the aftermath/confusion to deal with.

Bure

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a few mentions of these demo phones around, I'm beginning to think people are nicking display models and selling them. Forums then get the aftermath/confusion to deal with.
Hehe. I got mine from my employer :-D
I work for a service provider.

Bure

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, every time one touches the phone so that the screen saver stops the phone indicates a new email when there is now new mail at all.
And last night the phone reseted it self to its demo origin (I had installed my Exchange account, removed apps etc. and all this was gone in the morning)

jj14x

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
@op - to second what TheWeeBear said, try the hard reset before you try to flash a new ROM. You have nothing to lose - it just may work. If it doesn't, you can try the other options

Settings / About / Reset Your Phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster