How good is the display?

aquib90

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I've waited long enough (about three months) for the Lumia and now just when I was about to purchase it, the Lumia 900 got announced. I was not aware of the pentile/rgb display technologies earlier, but now with all the fuss that Lumia 900 uses a rbg AMOLED display; I'm just confused. And I want to buy a phone now; I don't want to wait for the Lumia 900.

Is the 800's pentile display THAT bad? I've heard about text fringing, but I've never seen any proof for it. Even when I saw the demo for the 800, I was not able to spot any fringing/artifacts on the display.

Can somebody tell me/show some evidence of fringing/artifacts on the Lumia 800's display. I don't want to see magnified images showing green meshes. I just want to know whether the difference is really visible to naked eyes at normal distance from the phone or not.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've waited long enough (about three months) for the Lumia and now just when I was about to purchase it, the Lumia 900 got announced. I was not aware of the pentile/rgb display technologies earlier, but now with all the fuss that Lumia 900 uses a rbg AMOLED display; I'm just confused. And I want to buy a phone now; I don't want to wait for the Lumia 900.

Is the 800's pentile display THAT bad? I've heard about text fringing, but I've never seen any proof for it. Even when I saw the demo for the 800, I was not able to spot any fringing/artifacts on the display.

Can somebody tell me/show some evidence of fringing/artifacts on the Lumia 800's display. I don't want to see magnified images showing green meshes. I just want to know whether the difference is really visible to naked eyes at normal distance from the phone or not.

Some people say they can see it easily while some people can't even tell a difference. It honestly depends on what you think of it. I would go try one out again and open up a Word document and start typing. If you can't tell, then you simply cannot tell. No need to get bent out of shape over a spec that you don't even notice.

Also, I'd consider the 800/900 options. I am going to guess that it will be at least three months after the suspected/unconfirmed March release date (that makes June the earliest) for AT&T that other carriers will receive the L900. Unless you are on AT&T, I wouldn't even worry about the L900. If you are on AT&T and you're still wondering about the L800, then I would consider other factors, such as front facing camera, size of the model (if it fits in your sized hand well), LTE necessity, etc.

germcevoy

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not THAT bad but definitely noticeable to my (23 year old) eyes. Every tile has the mesh and text looks like it's ever so slightly out of focus. Will the 900's rgb matrix be lost to the larger screen size though meaning it won't be all that better? Plus you will have to make do without the 800's gorgeous curved glass.

RustyU

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
If a short sighted 30 year old can tell it's PenTile...

Seriously though, it seems that some people are more susceptible to it than others, annoyingly I fall into the 'PenTile seer' category. You do get used to it though, so it's not that bad.

To me, the Lumia 900 screen would be noticeable clearer.

Best thing you could do it go and look at one in a shop (or a Samsung Galaxy S/Nexus S, they use the same matrix) and see how YOU feel about it. Different people have different experiences.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
If you've tried a display model and couldn't see it then you should be fine.

Even knowing what I'm looking for I can't see it. To me text looks clear and sharp and colours look flat and clear. I don't see any mesh or blurring at all. :confused:

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Plus you will have to make do without the 800's gorgeous curved glass.

I've been using the 800 for about a month now, and I don't really notice it. But this, the lack of curved glass, is really unfortunate. It gives the 800 a great feel, it's too bad they didn't give it to the 900, even though the original intent behind it is related to the original N9 and it's OS design.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3