Nokia Lumia 800 Battery Update Starts Today

Oliver Sainsbury

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Also posted this in the comments section of the "Windows Phone 8107 rolling out for unlocked and beyond" article. I figured it was relevant to both the article and this discussion. Hope this does not annoy anyone.

Nokia Lumia 800 on 3 UK. Not sure if the phone is locked, but it is branded with the 3 splash screen. I did have a quick look for a non-3 sim card to test whether it is locked or not, but could not find one.

Just updated to OS version 7.10.8107.79 which also included the Nokia firmware update to 1600.2483.8106.11500.

The updates seem to of fixed an issue I had when scrolling length ways up and down the screen. If I scrolled and left my finger on the screen, the screen would shift up and down for as long as I kept my finger on the screen. This never happened while swiping the width of the screen. I wonder if this problem was related to the disappearing keyboard issue. However, this problem did not alway occur and I have just updated the phone, so I can not say for sure that it has been fixed.

Additionally, the battery status tool in the diagnostics app now shows a 'Full Charge Capacity' of 1483, previously it ranged between 1507 and 1524. Unfortunatelty, I have not received the updated battery status tool that displays a graph even though I uninstalled and reinstalled the diagnostics app, which is susposed to correct this according to a seemingly knowledge person on the Nokia Disscussions forums. (Edit: I actually do have the graph. I did not see that it is actually under 'Detailed Battery Info' in the diagnostics app, which I do not remember seeing before.)

Like other people have noted, the soft keys no longer display when the brightness is set to medium or high. However, I think this was done on purpose as the only time most people would set the screen brightness to medium or high is when they are using the phone under bright light and illumination would not be necessary. Moreover, I think the sensitivity of the automatic brightness setting has been adjusted and now selects a more accurate screen brightness setting, well in my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

So do you think it has improved things for your 800 or do you need a little more time to
test your battery out maybe ?

Maybe another little update will be forthcoming from Nokia.

Anyway thanks for sharing your findings so far, and welcome along to WPCentral Oliver Sainsbury. :)

RustyU

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
The jittering scrolling thing you mention can be reproduced, you need to have the phone plugged in. Mine still does it after the update.

I had to uninstall & reinstall the diag app to get the battery graph, so whoever mentioned that is right, dunno why it's not working for you though.

I think you're right about the soft key lights, that was my first thought too.

Oliver Sainsbury

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
@TheWeeBear I need more time to determine if the update has fixed things. However, it will be difficult for me to say whether or not the battery has improved as I have only had the phone for 8 days and apart from yesterday I have done nothing but play with it. Yet, yesterday (pre-update) I was able to get the phone to last 17 hours with moderate use, which included a bit of messaging, listening to Nokia Mix Radio, and some messing around just for the enjoyment of it. So, I guess I never really had a serious battery issue, even though it would not charge past 1343 mAh prior to the update.

@RustyU I am glad to hear that someone else had the jittery scrolling problem, I tried searching for it yesterday but only found one post mentioning it and no helpful information (not on this forum). I will try and reproduce the problem when it is plugged in some other time, right now I want to leave it off the charger to test the battery. However, I noticed the scrolling issue pre-update when the phone was not plugged in and did not notice it when the phone was plugged in post-update. That said, it was an intermittent problem so it might appear again at some time in the future.

Also, I update my post to reflect my finding the new and improved battery status tool.

I am happy to hear you thought the same thing about the soft keys.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Max Charge up to 1483 from previous max of 1300

Click to view quoted image

So do you think it has improved things for your 800 or do you need a little more time to
test your battery out maybe ?

Maybe another little update will be forthcoming from Nokia.

Anyway thanks for sharing your findings so far, and welcome along to WPCentral Oliver Sainsbury. :)

I do not have my charger with me so have trickle charged via the USB which has just comleted and I am now 100% and the interesting thing here for me anyway is prior to the update my phone would only every charge to around 1300 this time it claims to have charged to 1483 which is my current max charge capcity.

They seem to have reduced the max charge down from 1503 to this new max of 1483-1486

In theory this will give me a fair chunk more of battery time to play with and should see me crest the evening hill even if I get side tracked with some Fruit Ninja.

I Will need to get my phone back into its normal routine of overnight charge then in use from 6:30AM and see if it does actually get me into an evening without me thinking should I be looking for my charger?

Message to self pick up phone from desk when you leave...

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I applied the update last night, and then charged my phone up to the 'new' maximum level.

This seems to be helping significantly. Coupled with the overall improvement that seemed to occur after a few charging cycles, I'm confident based on the discharge rate so far, and 'typical' usage for me, that it's comparable to my last smartphone - an iPhone 4.

Time will tell of course, but I'm happy that Nokia have rolled out updates to improve the experience we have using the product, and I hope that they continue to do so.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I applied the update last night, and then charged my phone up to the 'new' maximum level.

This seems to be helping significantly. Coupled with the overall improvement that seemed to occur after a few charging cycles, I'm confident based on the discharge rate so far, and 'typical' usage for me, that it's comparable to my last smartphone - an iPhone 4.

Time will tell of course, but I'm happy that Nokia have rolled out updates to improve the experience we have using the product, and I hope that they continue to do so.

I am hoping to surpass the iPhone 4 experience in that it matches my Omnia 7 now if that happened I would be a happy bunny.

I will have the looks and the stamina :)

M

mkr10001

3g wasn't working at work today so couldn't give it the usual work out. I thought it was down to the update but it worked fine when I got near home.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
so far i only have the softkey not lighting up issue, i check the diagnostic my battery was showing 1483 yesterday and now its 1469, kind of odd hope it doesn't drop again

interesting thing is if you check detail battery page it show max capacity is 1503, usable 1469 so im guessing this is sort of done on purpose to make the battery last longer (at least according to the battery science site someone posted not long ago - don't charge to full is what it says)

Oliver Sainsbury

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else's screen dimmer when set to auto? I have got the Nokia update installed bbut no 8107 yet.
In my first post in this thread I mentioned that, " I think the sensitivity of the automatic brightness setting has been adjusted and now selects a more accurate screen brightness setting...".

Previously, I always though it was too bright when the ambient light level was low. It seemed to me that it never dropped below the medium brightness setting. Now it does.

Last edited:

germcevoy

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Battery still poor sadly. Might be too early to call but the battery is just draining way to quick when the device is idle (battery saver doesn't improve matters). I'll do a reset and give it a week but if no better then its back to Symbian until the 900 is out. Maybe the bigger battery and hopefully better optimized software will do the trick.

yloop

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I got the update right away last time, still not had anything through this time. Fingers crossed it does the trick, having to charge at 3 in the afternoon is getting wearisome!

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The battery is holding up BUT the Full charge after being on the Nokia charger dropped to 1276 when it was 1483 when charged via my laptop and cable.

So this morning the batterystarted on 1276 as its full charge meaning that I am exactly the same as before charge wise. It is definately holding up better but I want my 200mAh back!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99