Poor battery life because of background tasks?

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Worth considering leaving it off. However I finally got the 11501 so I tested it today with all my normal stuff on except location and it is looking pretty good. More than 50% left after 15 hours use. So tomorrow I'll test with location and see how it goes.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

pete007

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I got a remark that I have too many backround tasks running. That's ok but how can you see the list what is runnung in the background? You are saying here that just go to settings and background tasks but there is nothing like that in my phone. I have Lumia 800 updated yesterday to the latest patch. I tried to find something in the market place but no luck.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
jimski: I assume you did not do these tests on the Lumia 800. So it is still possible that the Lumia 800 for some reason handles background tasks wrong. In addition to that you didn't have the same background tasks. Maybe one of these applications exposes a very specific bug.

My phone battery is still far better than before I uninstalled all background applications and the diagnostic app.
True on both points. But in order to prove something you need accurate results. So fully change your phone before going to bed. Turn off all the things (background tasks, etc.) you believe to be a problem. Set your phone down fo X hours untouched. Then make note of the battery percentage in the morning. Repeat the test the next night, with the same things turned on, setting the phone in the same place for the same number of hours. Repeat everything twice to verify your results. No more guesses. Facts are god.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

baba.bhagat

Banned
Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I got a remark that I have too many backround tasks running. That's ok but how can you see the list what is runnung in the background? You are saying here that just go to settings and background tasks but there is nothing like that in my phone. I have Lumia 800 updated yesterday to the latest patch. I tried to find something in the market place but no luck.

Go to Settings -> swipe to "applications" -> background tasks

Siat

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I update the firmware of my lumia around a week ago. The battery life improved tremendously! I was getting at least twice the amount of battery life then before the update. All well and good, I decided to download a few apps and this did not affect my battery life until i downloaded YouTube pro.

The next day the battery was back to the pre-12070 update. I noticed that it must have been an app and uninstalled YouTube pro (I made sure that it was this app by checking the discharge rate from the diagnostics app which was 250mA with the app and 80mA without it) I tough i had solved the problem but the battery is still not as good as when i first downloaded the update (the discharge rate is randomly 250mA or 80mA)

Is a hard reset the only way to make sure that everything is as should be? I would like to try and avoid the hassle of downloading every app again...
Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance!

ChrisK91

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I tough i had solved the problem but the battery is still not as good as when i first downloaded the update (the discharge rate is randomly 250mA or 80mA)

I noticed the same thing. The rate increases sometimes to around 250mA. I don't think it's a bug. Maybe there is a Background Task working right at this Moment or emails are synching. I guess this could also be related to connectivity for instance when the device connects to your WiFi or to another cell tower.

Siat

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the same thing. The rate increases sometimes to around 250mA. I don't think it's a bug. Maybe there is a Background Task working right at this Moment or emails are synching. I guess this could also be related to connectivity for instance when the device connects to your WiFi or to another cell tower.

Yeah, it could be but the problem is that the battery life in real life is much worse. The battery is at 80% after 3 hours of doing nothing! When I had done the update this was discharging at around 1-3% every hour...

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, my battery life isn't too bad because I use the 800 quite heavily during the day. At my desk I pretty much have it constantly plugged to the PC usb to keep the battery up. But also I've turned off auto-brightness. I LOVE my display nice and bright and I find on auto display goes to medium too often and medium doesn't cut it for me. So obviously having it on high all day will drain the battery as well.

But just wondering if there are people out there who have brightness on high and use the phone heavily but find the battery still lasts the day. Yes I've updated to the latest but wanted to make sure the battery running low because of my high usage and high brightness level, not perhaps a problem.

I also had about 8 apps working in the background so I just stopped a few apps and now only have 3 apps working in the background (apart from the ones that don't allow you to manually change) so I might notice a difference now as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro