Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Anyone in here using an unlocked Lumia 800 (rm-801) on AT&T's network? I would like to know how it works on AT&T (data reception - H+, 3g, edge, call signal). Please provide your location as well. Thanks
    Developer

I've been using an unlocked 800 on At&t for a couple months. Working fine. What do you mean rm801? I use it mostly on WiFi being out in the sticks with edge service. But edge is faster than I expected. Occasionally H shows up in the status bar for hspa+. Voice quality is vg.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

My WP App: Walk-Run-Bike-Drive - GPS Routing Tracking Mapping
    My Win8 App: Route Planner 8

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input. It's nice to hear from someone that's satisfied without the H+ data connection.

I've been doing quite a bit of research about the different variants of the Lumia 800. Apparently, the rm-801 (Europe, Asia) supports HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100 while the rm-819 supports HSDPA 850 (AT&T's H+) / 900 / 1900 / 2100. I hope this all make sense.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    I am using my 800 in at&t no issues with it at all. Call quality is good I get between 3 and 4 MBPS on HSPA no + though. On WP7 thats not bad for data speeds. I live in Fort Worth, Texas.

Have the unlocked international version. And yes, I have had problems on AT&T with 3G/HSDPA. As I understand it, the international version only has one of the two main 3G bands that AT&T uses. In places where I normally have 3-4 bars of 3G on my Focus, I would have ~1 bar on my Lumia, toggling between that and EDGE (which drains the battery quite quickly!)

I wish this wasn't the case, as I really wanted to start using the 800 as my main device...

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Thanks for the comment, Dave. Let's hope I get something similar to that here in Sacramento, CA.

PTK8o, where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by syang87 View Post
    Thanks for the comment, Dave. Let's hope I get something similar to that here in Sacramento, CA.

PTK8o, where are you located?
    I'm located near Minneapolis, in Eau Claire WI. I've tried looking at coverage maps, and can't see a difference.

It's strange, because I have full HSDPA at home, but the wonderful battery-killing EDGE/minimal HSDPA at work.

In Chicago with the 801 on AT&T - we're blanketed with hspa+ here (i think 1900). Lumia should be able to take advantage of that, but I'm not sure that's the case.

What APN settings are you folks using? I've tried the "wap.cingular" and "phone" apns while selecting ATT 3g and ATT LTE, but I can't reliably tell which one works the best.

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I'm looking to get rm-801 in NYC so i guess its not a good idea. I guess I'll be looking for RM-819 model. I have ATT Sim card for Straight Talk

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bver100 View Post
    In Chicago with the 801 on AT&T - we're blanketed with hspa+ here (i think 1900). Lumia should be able to take advantage of that, but I'm not sure that's the case.

What APN settings are you folks using? I've tried the "wap.cingular" and "phone" apns while selecting ATT 3g and ATT LTE, but I can't reliably tell which one works the best.
    I've heard of editing your apn to wap.cingular but never heard of changing it to "phone".

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex1114 View Post
    I'm looking to get rm-801 in NYC so i guess its not a good idea. I guess I'll be looking for RM-819 model. I have ATT Sim card for Straight Talk
    If you haven't purchased one yet then looking for a RM-819 would be more beneficial. Unfortunately, in my situation, I've already purchased a RM-801. I'm impatiently waiting for my unlock code. :-/
    Thanked by:
    kalex 

I've heard of editing your apn to wap.cingular but never heard of changing it to "phone".
    Android Central has a discussion talking about how some phones weren't setup properly to access hspa+ http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-settings.html and I've seen reports that this helps on a variety of devices. I imagine that the lumia won't automatically pull the phone APN, but there's no way to actually check that i think?

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bver100 View Post
    Android Central has a discussion talking about how some phones weren't setup properly to access hspa+ http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-settings.html and I've seen reports that this helps on a variety of devices. I imagine that the lumia won't automatically pull the phone APN, but there's no way to actually check that i think?
    Wow. Those are impressive gains.

Maybe you can test by downloading Bandwidth in the Marketplace?

Wow. Those are impressive gains.

Maybe you can test by downloading Bandwidth in the Marketplace?
    Did some quick tests, i'm hitting about 1-2 mbps down, .5-1 up when testing in Chicago. To be fair, I don't know what the speed usually is, but i assume more. I also do not know whether chicago uses the 850 mhz or the 1900 mhz space - though research online has said that they use 1900 for hspa because 850 is already very saturated for voice. But that's something that I can't reliably believe, i think.

Spammer Alert! Mods ban the above person