Any Telus users?

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm struggling to decide between the 800 on Telus or the 900 on Rogers. I really like the 800, but am unimpressed with my interactions with the Telus people so far - the other night I spent an hour with an English-challenged rep over a crappy phone connection and was having to ask him to repeat every sentence. Beats me why a phone company can't have a decent voice connection to their reps.

Anyway.

Do you have any experience to share with the Telus network? With their support when problems arrange? Has Telus been decent at rolling out WP updates in a timely manner?

Have you had any luck haggling over contracts? The guy I was dealing with the other night was unwilling to cut any deals at all, absolutely refused to move one inch towards matching my current plan with Rogers.

andruthetech

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Telus (have been for many years) and have a NL 800. In terms of Telus Mobility, their tech support it is out-sourced to the Philippines, maybe India as well, not sure. After 4pm local time I believe. I have dealt with Telus' support on only a few occasions and when I have it's been a fairly good experience. As a comparison, not anywhere as good as my cable provider though.

As far as contracts go, a contract is a contract, if you sign it be prepared to live with it. If roles were reversed, you'd want someone to live up to their end of the bargain as well, correct? :cool:

Plan matching is another story. I'd speak to someone in regular business hours who understands how the local competetion works so they can maybe match or come close to satisfiying your needs. That's the part about out-sourcing I don't like; how can someone a world away know about the local competition and how things work? All they are trained on is Telus and maybe a few info-bits about the other guys.

Last edited:

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I should probably try again re haggling. I was just wondering if it was corporate policy not to match plans, or whether other people had had better luck.

Not sure what you meant about "If roles were reversed, you'd want someone to live up to their end of the bargain as well, correct?" I don't have a contract with Telus at this point so there's no issue with living up to anything... I just want them to give me the same deal as I currently have at Rogers.

andruthetech

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I didn't realize you werent in a contract, lucky you! ;)

On another note, I'll be happy when my Telus contract is up. By that time Shaw will have something in place on the phone that will be much more preferred. :cool:

Strangis

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Telus and have the 800. I did everything in store... still had 20 months to go on my LG Optimus 7 contract so I'd have to pay an extra $200 for the phone.

The rep recommended calling customer retentions to see if I could get a discount (he expected 25% off). In the end, and with NO hassle whatsoever, retentions took $10/m off my bill for the remainder of the contract (for extra services). That combined with selling my own phone, was a net gain. :)

I've been happy with Telus customer service, but I live near the Eaton Centre in Toronto, so it's often easier to go in store. Once they know you're a savvy customer they'll treat you right (don't know how they treat noobs to the contract game though).

jddesigned

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I was interested in renewing and getting the 800 on Telus but my concern is if they will be supporting Nokia updates etc. I haven't heard if this phone suffers many of the same battery issues on Telus as it does elsewhere (if carrier additions affect known problems) so it would be a concern. I did email Telus asking and they basically said anything could happen but we're not saying we will.

Telus:
"I would recommend visiting our online web site for any new software release availability as this is where we will post the information and steps to update your O/S. This is the current info for the Nokia Lumia :
Overview?|? Nokia? Lumia 800?|? Phones & Devices?|? Support?|? TELUS Mobility

Please note that different wireless carriers will often utilize different network technologies and offer different features and services. Although Google Android updates may already be available through other carriers, the updates could have been made available to fix some issues TELUS clients might not have experienced.

As there is extensive testing involved in releasing any software updates, we need to ensure the update will be compatible with our network and services and that it is a necessary update and that it will not cause more harm then good before we can launch. We could even decide not to launch and possibly wait for a newer version that will better meet our standards and requirements."

Strangis

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I was interested in renewing and getting the 800 on Telus but my concern is if they will be supporting Nokia updates etc. I haven't heard if this phone suffers many of the same battery issues on Telus as it does elsewhere (if carrier additions affect known problems) so it would be a concern. I did email Telus asking and they basically said anything could happen but we're not saying we will.

Telus:
"I would recommend visiting our online web site for any new software release availability as this is where we will post the information and steps to update your O/S. This is the current info for the Nokia Lumia :
Overview*|* Nokia? Lumia 800*|* Phones & Devices*|* Support*|* TELUS Mobility

Please note that different wireless carriers will often utilize different network technologies and offer different features and services. Although Google Android updates may already be available through other carriers, the updates could have been made available to fix some issues TELUS clients might not have experienced.

As there is extensive testing involved in releasing any software updates, we need to ensure the update will be compatible with our network and services and that it is a necessary update and that it will not cause more harm then good before we can launch. We could even decide not to launch and possibly wait for a newer version that will better meet our standards and requirements."
In my experience, the battery life has been pretty good. A little bit better than my Optimus 7, and I've definitely been playing with it more. 90+% of the time it'll last all day, though on the rare heavy gaming days not so much. :)

I did notice that it was reporting the higher power draw that the 12070 update supposedly fixes, but I don't have the really fast drain when not in use.

Telus was always good with previous updates when I was on the Optimus 7, but I notice that as of now, they're not listed for the official update to 12070.

I suspect that this means that those updates will be rolled out with the 'Refresh', Tango, or whatever it's going to be called.

jddesigned

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, the battery life has been pretty good. A little bit better than my Optimus 7, and I've definitely been playing with it more. 90+% of the time it'll last all day, though on the rare heavy gaming days not so much. :)

I did notice that it was reporting the higher power draw that the 12070 update supposedly fixes, but I don't have the really fast drain when not in use.

Telus was always good with previous updates when I was on the Optimus 7, but I notice that as of now, they're not listed for the official update to 12070.

I suspect that this means that those updates will be rolled out with the 'Refresh', Tango, or whatever it's going to be called.
So you feel that light calls/texting - gaming 30 minutes during commutes and heavy surfing etc should get you to end of day then?

Strangis

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
So you feel that light calls/texting - gaming 30 minutes during commutes and heavy surfing etc should get you to end of day then?
Sorry, never saw a 'reply email'...

Yep. That should get you through the end of day...

I'll give you a recent example...

30 SMS (6 were MMS)
3 email accounts
about 30 minutes of Wordament
2.5 hours of podcast listening (including while playing Wordament)
about 30 minutes of phone calls
Checking out news (Pulse and News360)
a total about about 10 minutes YouTube playback
18 photos taken, one 4 minute video taken
4 tweets posted (including pics) and some Twitter browsing (using MoTweets)
not a lot of IE use though, probably about 15 pages

About half the usage is with WiFi, either in range of home or work router, while the other half (mainly podcasts/Wordament) was on 3G.

Removed from charger 100% at 7:30am - down to 30% at bed time (just after midnight)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss