Volume levels too low.

TheTrueScotsman

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, my first post....

I recently got a Lumia 800 and I must say I love WP and have traditionally been a fan of Nokia. I work for UK mobile network so got a good deal via staff.

Previously I had an iPhone 4G but have used BlackBerrys too, but before the iPhone I had a Nokia 5800 xpress music.

My problem with the Lumia is simply the volume is too low. I suffer from around 20-30% hearing loss so I need good volume out of a my player and the Lumia is nowhere near as loud as my iPhone, my wife's Samsung, nor my BlackBerry Playbook (which on max is deafening even for me!).

The Lumia is likely loud enough for most people but for me it is near unusable as a music/podcast player except in the quietest of environments.

My 5800 had exactly the same issue and I wondered if this was the same on all Nokias or maybe I've got a faulty device.

I use reasonably good Sennheiser in-ear 'phones but am waiting in the bundled Nokia Monster headset being delivered to see if this makes a difference.

I've updated the software to the very latest version (12072) but to no avail. Can anyone confirm if their L800 volume on their device when on full volume is noticeably lower than an iPod / iPhone's?

Many thanks

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
The 710 is very quiet too, compared my previous phone (TouchPro2) it sounds like a mouse competing against an elephant lol.

Realistically though, the TP2 is a very loud phone by nature (it's partly geared for conference calls), so the comparison is unfair; comparing it to my K800i though, the volume still seems very slightly lower than the K800i.

It's certainly not as loud as I'd want it to be, I suspect the 800 may have the same/similar speaker circuitry and thus volume, and if so, I hope Nokia can enhance the volume in their Tango updates. It never crackles etc, so I'd imagine there would be some headroom to increase it, I know on the TP2 I installed a cab file (gotta love the WinMo days) and it made it even louder than by default - which I liked - with only a light hint of distortion; the trade-off for me was more than worth it.

It's another one of those cases, where Nokia really need to concentrate on getting the basics right before anything else, to avoid upsetting and alienating their customers any further.

ivanhorv

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 800 is pretty damn loud when listening to music on earphones, but on speaker I find it to be too quiet. Same goes when it's ringing. I'm on 12070 because update 12072 is still unavailable to me.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Battery isn't much of an issue for me. My 710 is easily giving me a day with moderate usage. That's fine for me. The phone (and thus battery life) becomes useless when in a quiet environment and you're not able to hear it.

There is a couple of really loud (pre-amplified?) ringtone available on one of the ringtones apps, I currently use one called "Nokia Hybrid" and it is a LOT louder than any of the included ringtones.

hiwatt666

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Battery isn't much of an issue for me. My 710 is easily giving me a day with moderate usage. That's fine for me. The phone (and thus battery life) becomes useless when in a quiet environment and you're not able to hear it.

There is a couple of really loud (pre-amplified?) ringtone available on one of the ringtones apps, I currently use one called "Nokia Hybrid" and it is a LOT louder than any of the included ringtones.

Is Nokia Hybrid a ring signal (included in the phone signalslist) or an ring signal app ?

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
It's available from the "free ringtones" app. There are quite a lot of LOUD tones on there, that I use for alarms and the like. There is also a cool one called Nokia Techno that I came across today.

dorin.sacrieru

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I found a solution to quiet ringtones. I use Audacity and in the efects menu, I use the VST from izotope ozone(you have to install izotope ozone and the effects load up automatically). VST Izotope Ozone has a maximizer effect, which makes them louder without much distorting the ringtone. There are also VST maximizer efects free on the web that you can use with Audacity.

This rezolved my quiet lumia 800.
I hope this helps you !

ABude

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've just got a shiny new all up-todate Lumia 800 and it's heading towards being the worst phone I've ever owned.
Yes the volume is extremely weedy and that's not helped by the ringtones not repeating - so for instance "nostalgia" is an old fashioned telephone bell ring which should be OK but in use it just rings once and then silence while the vibrate keeps going. Every other phone I've ever owned keeps repeating the ring tone until answered or the answerphone kicks in. Seemingly not so with the Lumia. Plus there seems to be no way to set profiles so the phone behaves differently in the office/home/meeting and no way to have music on a medium (Or really quiet in the Lumias case) setting and ring tone very loud (barely audible). There seems to have been a problem (or several) with the 800 when released which made the volume very very loud, this was fixed with a software update - seems they throttled it back too far. I've tested in CPW and both the 610 and 820 are noticeably louder than the 800 but none anywhere near the volume of the wifes galaxy II. So Nokia what is the point of a phone which one cannot hear ringing when you are out shopping?
While I'm moaning Zune (the software needed to move data off or to the phone) is the worst - even badder than I-tunes and it's main purpose seems to be to enable microsoft to snoop on your every action (ditto the phone). Bluetooth is only any use to transfer your contacts from your old phone (which it does very well), try to shift a music or photo file and that same phone is suddenly not supported! Clearly the reason there's no SD card is to tie you to the snoopy incomprehensible Zune software.
The camera is allegedly 8Mp but the photo quality is pretty poor, specially in low light and you have to go through the dreaded Zune to do anything with your fuzzy images.
It's a shame because the Windows OS is almost really great, but as it is the phone is next to useless unless I get a job in a library.

Adam Garwood

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Lumia 920 yesterday, and when I uploaded music to it had the same problem. I was pissed to say the least. BUT I went into the settings on the Windows Phone computer app, and checked the box under the videos section that pertains to quality or size... if you check the "highest quality" option, the volume issue is solved. At least, it was for me. Hope this helps

NickBollockov

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Greetings, got my 920...the transfer music, videos etc app for Windows 7 on my PC failed despite it reading everything in my iTunes library so I had to copy everything over manually via Explorer but the volume levels on playback on all the songs are different and some very quiet indeed and it's pretty annoying to say the least. I'm tempted to delete my entire music library and start all over again at the highest recording level...has anyone else had success in the app for transferring or anything I'm possibly missing? I'm with Telstra in Australia and there has been no updates for WP8 and the only 'audio' options on the phone are for equaliser and the Dolby playback.

Thanks

Srikanth Vellanki

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nokia 800 and the volume level while on the phone call are really low...When you connect the headphones and bluetooth the other person on the phonecall gets to hear very low voice and also the resound. I have approached the nokia support and they have told me that this problem will be resolved with the update 7.8.

I cant believe that and lets see if it is going to resolve otherwise I have raised a compliant and have the reference no. noted. How can it be true that they have release WP 7.5 without testing the wired headset or bluetooth headset. Its such a common way of using the phone

Emcho420

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
So...... ? I mean if I wanna save my baterry I'm just going to lower the volume .. The problem is that when I'm trying to listen music with my friends we almost can't hear it from my Lumia 710

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)