How's your Lumia holding up?

DeZerT

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
So I've been using this phone in its official case for a while, but now it got loose, so that the earpiece gets covered by the silicon at times, muffling the sound, and it also doesn't look that good anymore. I was thinking about throwing away the case and go naked, but I'm concerned about the durabilty of this hot glossy white polycarbonate shell...
Maybe somebody who hasn't used the case since day one or so can provide some feedback about wear and tear and that kind of things, I'd appreciate it a lot, and maybe it could be useful to some other users too :)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just want to be sure you are using a Nokia gel case, and not an imitation. Used the black for a month and switched to cyan when it finally arrived. Both of these look like new and the material does not look like it will ever stretch or become deformed.

The cheaper jelly cases are made from a softer stretchy material than can deform with use.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

DeZerT

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Just want to be sure you are using a Nokia gel case, and not an imitation. Used the black for a month and switched to cyan when it finally arrived. Both of these look like new and the material does not look like it will ever stretch or become deformed.

The cheaper jelly cases are made from a softer stretchy material than can deform with use.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
Nope, it's the stock one...the issue I have is due to the top part shifting a little when I push my phone against my ear, it just got a (very) little loose due to my finger pushing against the flap every time I need to open it to plug the phone to my PC or just in order to charge it. It moves of something like half a millimeter or so, but it's enough to mess with the earpiece because the hole is very small...

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my black 800 without a case since launch and its in perfect condition, other than scratches on the chrome camera surround.

That said, I've never dropped it or put it down somewhere stupid. Or done anything that might have damaged it in any way; so it might be my care rather than the phones durability that has kept it like this.

sp8y

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I have two of the original black soft covers that came with the phone from Nokia & both don't fit very tightly at the top. The case seems to be a bit to big so obscures the earpiece.

On the other hand I bought a genuine Nokia Pink (or is it Magenta) soft case for my wifes Lumia 800 & it fits perfectly - seems to be a tighter fit than the originally supplied black covers.

I've started to use mine without a cover & screen protector as I'm normally pretty careful with my phones so hopefully can get get away with it - I much prefer the look of the phone without covers/screen protectors. Wifey, however, has the pink case & a screen protector & has already managed to scratch the protector so for her it's good protection.

DeZerT

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree that this phone looks and feels much better out of its case, it also slips very smoothly in-out the pocket which is good. However I was wondering if the polycarbonate gets worn or something cause of basic things like sliding the phone in and out of the pocket, laying it down on the table etc. I'm not that clumsy, I mean I hardly ever dropped any of my phones so I'm not really concerned about that...I may think about getting a pouch or something tho, but I don't really like that kind of stuff...

Last edited:

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
i go through stages of putting the cover on and then leaving it off because it is nicer without. the biggest danger of scratching phone is putting it in your pocket and you have keys or security cards with metal on them. i try and make sure i don't put them in my pocket at the same time and phone stays in good condition when i don't use the cover.

i tried some clear body skins but they were really hard to put on and gave up. i think if i managed to put them on ok they probably would've been good but too hard to put on without bubbles and making a mess of it.

DeZerT

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
i go through stages of putting the cover on and then leaving it off because it is nicer without. the biggest danger of scratching phone is putting it in your pocket and you have keys or security cards with metal on them. i try and make sure i don't put them in my pocket at the same time and phone stays in good condition when i don't use the cover.

i tried some clear body skins but they were really hard to put on and gave up. i think if i managed to put them on ok they probably would've been good but too hard to put on without bubbles and making a mess of it.
I once tried a gadgetshieldz full body film. I managed to apply it nicely somehow, but I got tired of it real quick: it feels like carrying around your phone wrapped in plastic, I can't get used to it.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I used that stock case for about the first month but it got a bit loose around the volume rocker. It also made it a bit annoying to clean the edges of the screen and the silver bit on the camera. I've since switched to a "sock" type case and I like it. The phone feels so much more awesome, it's easier to clean and when it's on my desk I just put the phone on it so I don't scratch up the back. So my lumia is still in pretty pristine condition.

nematombo15

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I used the case for two months, got rid of it till i dropped my phone on the concrete floor. The side at the mic jack hit the ground bad and has a dent but the phone no problems what so ever. I now put the cover when leave the house and remove when in door. Its a very strong phone.

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Never had a case on mine. It's looking a little battered on the corners TBH, but it's been dropped many, many, times, often onto concrete/tarmac. It got kicked around a club briefly at least once too. The screen though is still perfect, no protector or anything. It's stood up to abuse like a Nokia should :p

ZeldaLover

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
My cyan case is getting quite mucky.. I'm considering replacing it with a flip over case that also protects the screen.. But then it tends to look quite bulky so a little unsure. Is there anyway it could be cleaned up to look new?

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
My Black 800 has aged gracefully. The polycarb actually looks great when it has been worn a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maseroche

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The phone itself has held up quite well. Still looks as good as new. Only thing is that the simcard's removable tray has a wobbly top cover.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had it since release day and never used a case.

I have scratches on the chrome around the camera lens. I also have a few small scratches on the case and the display, but they aren't visible during normal use (only visible from a sharp angle). It also has three larger "scars" from being dropped on concrete:
- two "bruised" corners
- one dent on the top across the sim-tray

Still works perfectly. No flaking paint (because there is no paint). No cracked glass. It might not look as pretty as on the first day, but it's no less usable!

Nokia Lumia Screen 900 Hammer Test - YouTube

allibone

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Mine is almost destroyed, cracked screen, dented top right corner, dent in right side of phone, all from 3 seperate incidents.

Don't know whether to get the screen fixed (new screen is in region of ?80-?90) or wait until the new range comes out but to be honest I am not that keen on the new Lumia's. the 920 is ridiculously large and the 820 has too low a resolution screen and I'm not keen on the industrial design of the 820 either. If they had brought out a 4" Lumia 800 then i'd have bought it one release day.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My white 900 has been a (storm) trooper since I acquired it in May. It's hit the wooden floor in my office from about .7 meters (2.5 feet) countless times - truly countless, as I stopped counting at 10 a few months ago - as the cats will pull it down from the desk when it's plugged in as they walk by. I do not know why they *must* traverse over the outlets, but they do. I've dropped it once from about 1.2 meters (~4 feet) onto a concrete sidewalk in front of our office, and twice it's hit the ceramic tiles of the kitchen floor being knocked off the counter from about a meter (~3.5 feet). The only thing that's changed about it's looks is the camera surround, but otherwise it hasn't dented, deformed, or scratched in any way.

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
My cyan was fine until two weeks ago. Had it since Feb and used the case for the first couple of months but then decided to take it out as the phone is just too damn nice to hide away. Felt like having a new phone, the case is good but it feels like added bulk in the hand. I try to take care of my phones and apart from the odd faint scratch on the camera plate (unavoidable without a case) it's been fine and looking extremely fine. Then last week I was out cycling, stopped to make a call then went to put the phone in the pouch on the back of my cycling jersey. Thought I had it in until I heard a 'CLUNK'! and looked down. There was my 800 lying on the pavement. It got off fairly lightly; slight dent on the bottom left corner but the screen is unscathed. Dent irritates me though. You probably wouldn't notice it if you didn't know it was there.... but I know it's there. Still the best phone I've ever had though.

Ivanr53

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I have been using mine since launch earlier in 2012 with this impressive device and OS, being a fanatical Windows Mobile user from my first Windows CE phone to the last Windows Mobile version 6.5. I am impressed by the UI and everything about this new Windows Phone OS inclusive of high quality of the design and manufacture standards and will replace with Nokia again.

The few problems with this phone were caused by external factors like network connections and some applications found on marketplace, these were all resolved turning this device into a little gem.

The built in IM Ms Messenger platform which has been part of the old OS now even functions seamlessly without the problems of the BBM and Whatsapp etc.

As a phone used for business and pleasure it does the job beyond expectations and I will be looking at the Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows Phone 8 as a replacement for sure.

I have used my Lumia with it’s original cover protecting and maintaining the phone scratch free. My current battery life is around 21hours, which suits my needs. Definitely not a Symbian, Apple, Blackberry or Andriod fan.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Bought cyan Lumia 800 on the first day in launch back in late 2011 and it's holding very well here. Never used case, like i never do with any of my phones.
No marks on the body or anywhere and i have dropped the phone couple of times.

The back camera strip in other hands i full of scratches, something i was expecting as owner of Nokia N9.
Not planning to sell it even as i will get Lumia 920 later this year.

Btw i absolutely adore how the cyan color changes depending on lighting. Love it. Though makes me a bit sad cyan Lumia 920 wont be available on launch at least.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs