Thinking of returning my 8x for a 810

leaperk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a 8x yesterday but I am leaning toward getting a 810 instead. I thought that the HD screen would make a huge difference but after playing with it for a day I don't think that going back down to 800x400 will make a big difference on a day to day basis.

So here is what is pushing me toward a 810

1. Nokia Apps
2. SD Card slot - I am curious if Windows 8 apps will be able to use the extra storage? I noticed that the phone had 5 GB free to install apps to
3. Brighter screen with deeper blacks

The 8x is a awesome phone and I love the loudness of the speaker and how great music sounds with my headphones so I am curious if anyone is in a similar position.

tobygwinn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I went to the store yesterday honestly with the intention of getting the 8x...after comparing the 810 and 8X side by side...the screen even tho lower res on the 810 blew away the 8X screen and made it look dull and washed out. I was VERY surprised.. and after reading all the reboot and light bleed issues with the 8X, I went home and ordered the 810. I agree that its not as pretty on the outside, but all the features, lack of issues so far, and screen sealed the deal for me.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I went to the store yesterday honestly with the intention of getting the 8x...after comparing the 810 and 8X side by side...the screen even tho lower res on the 810 blew away the 8X screen and made it look dull and washed out. I was VERY surprised.. and after reading all the reboot and light bleed issues with the 8X, I went home and ordered the 810. I agree that its not as pretty on the outside, but all the features, lack of issues so far, and screen sealed the deal for me.

I think the 810 will grow on you. It's a very sleek modern design. It's very clean looking and the screen is AMAZING. WOW'd several of my friends... Best of all they kept asking what the resolution is on the phone. Everyone guessed it was higher than the 800x480. I don't think you will lose much going to the 810, and you will gain a whole lot.

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a 8x yesterday but I am leaning toward getting a 810 instead. I thought that the HD screen would make a huge difference but after playing with it for a day I don't think that going back down to 800x400 will make a big difference on a day to day basis.

So here is what is pushing me toward a 810

1. Nokia Apps

2. SD Card slot - I am curious if Windows 8 apps will be able to use the extra storage? I noticed that the phone had 5 GB free to install apps to

3. Brighter screen with deeper blacks

The 8x is a awesome phone and I love the loudness of the speaker and how great music sounds with my headphones so I am curious if anyone is in a similar position.

Can anyone confirm that the apps installed/downloaded will be able to use the extra storage (up to 64gb) on 810? Thanks!

Kaztronic HD7

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I had some time to compare the 810 and the 8X yesterday, and in my opinion there really is no comparison between the two when it comes to looks, and also feel. The 810 looks good, but honestly, it feels entry-level and fragile. As I was handling the phone, I kept wondering how well it would hold up over two years, and just how quickly the somewhat chunky and plain looking black 810 would begin looking worn and dated. On the plus side, the screen looked really good, better than I expected. The performance of the phone is also smooth as can be. To sum it up, the 810 looks and feels cheap on close inspection, and really didn't strike me as a phone I could see myself toting around in late 2014. The 8X on the other hand seemed as if it were in a different league altogether. The phone definitely has a bit of a wow factor to it, and is a phone that will get attention. The build quality looks absolutely fantastic. Were it not for the storage space limitations built in to the 8X, I would probably find it preferable to the 920 based on its looks and sound quality. It certainly would erase the irritation with Nokia's exclusivity approach.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I did the same comparison between the 810 and the 8X. I walked out with the 810. I like the wide body of the 810 instead of the thin body of the 8X, also I dont like the tapered design, I rather have it square. I like all black devices, color to me is just asking for attention.

Yeah, all black devices can look dull to some people, but to me it doesnt. The 810 is very light when held compared to what I'm used to with the HTC HD7. I like the rubber backing, or whatever material it is. You can hold onto it lightly and it wont slip like some phone would. The light weight and rubber back might feel cheap to some people, but at the end, they all break the same. To me, doesnt feel cheap at all.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I only touched a dummy 810 at the T-Mobile store yesterday since I have yet to get my phone. Also handled a dummy 8X. Both felt nice, but the 810 felt considerably more solid and durable. Nothing about it felt or looked cheap to me. The 8X felt kinda light, maybe too much so, but then again, I'm used to holding my iPhone 4 in a case that makes it heavier.

It's funny... People have been complaining left and right about the weight of the 920, which I played with at an AT&T store on Monday. I just have to laugh about that, because I could barely feel a difference between it without a case and my iPhone with a case. :lol: It just felt perfect in my small hand, even though it's bigger than any phone I've ever had. Yup, still lusting after a yellow Lumia 920. I'm sure I'll be more than happy with my 810, though. :D I'll get my 920 sometime next year.

leaperk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So I did end up swapping out the 8x for the 810 and I am happy with my decision. I will miss the extra screen real estate of the 8x but even with the HD screen I still had to pinch and zoom to view web pages and the end result was the same.

As a plus even though the screen is not HD the color saturation is very good and I am happy with the overall experience and the phone feels good in the hand. I can't wait till I can buy an new back cover for the device.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The thing that I'm finding is that all of the WP8 handsets look much, much better in person than they do in the pictures.
I absolutely hated the 810 when it was first introduced. The design looked horrible in all the pictures that I saw.
I stopped by the t-mobile store this afternoon to check out the 810 and I have to say that it looks pretty cool. The 810 wasn't even a consideration for me until I saw it in person. Now I like it better than the 8X and will likely be my choice.

Some thoughts:

• I was afraid that the removable back would look and feel cheap, but it's solid - the rubbery texture feels great in the hand and it fits seamlessly on the phone. I wouldn't dare put a case on this badboy - that's why they invented the swappable back, right?
  • The size is definitely a departure from the sleek, tapered build of the 8X, but in its own way, it's very stylish. The entire face is an uninterrupted pane of shiny, flat, black glass that looks very cool and very modern.
  • Don't be swayed by the lower screen resolution - you'll never notice the difference. It looks amazing with its deep dark blacks and the colored tiles really pop!

Intellectually, I know this is only a mid-range phone, but the emotional wow-factor is over the top!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
  • Don't be swayed by the lower screen resolution - you'll never notice the difference. It looks amazing with its deep dark blacks and the colored tiles really pop!
You're seriously right about that! Nokia made a good decision keeping the screen AMOLED on the 810 actually, because it makes the makes the colors pop and it's bright, much brighter than the 920.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I am really leaning towards this phone now after reading all the threads about problems related to the 920. I think I can live without pureview.

If only they made this phone without wireless charging, and made it a bit thinner.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that the apps installed/downloaded will be able to use the extra storage (up to 64gb) on 810? Thanks!

If I recall correctly, you can only use the sd card for music and photos

Sent from something uhmayzing using my pinkie

Clancynobi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am really leaning towards this phone now after reading all the threads about problems related to the 920. I think I can live without pureview.

If only they made this phone without wireless charging, and made it a bit thinner.

The Wireless charging is only when buying the shell, the default shell does not include it.

wprob

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
not sure about app usage with the SD card...i'm not really sure how WP8 utilizes the external sd...I would have to agree with cckgz4 at this moment and assume it's just for music, videos, and photos...

the screen on the 810 still amazes me. it really does "pop" and the blacks are so nice. i'll keep looking, but i've not seen anyone complain about it yet :)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I would have to agree with cckgz4 at this moment and assume it's just for music, videos, and photos...
That's correct. It'd be nice if apps could go on the card, but oh well. Apparently cards can be used to sideload apps, but they have to be installed on the device.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It does come with the thinner non charging shells. This phone is much thinner than what you see online. Honestly, this phone is amazing. It feels awesome in the hand and the matte shell does not feel rubbery but more satiny. The AMOLED RGB stripe display is unbelievable! I keep unlocking it just to look at those colors and I keep grabbing it to rub my hands on the case. This phone is also as durable as they get. With exchangable shells and gorilla glass front this phone will be in mint condition at the end of my contract. No bugs here on the 810 so far either. The best purchase I have made all year!

gfiz

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
So I'm 4 days in with my 810. Its my favorite phone to date. Consider I also have an iphone5 for work (company currently supports only BB and iOS), and I'm coming from a Galaxy S II as my personal phone. Granted, this is the first WP I have ever owned, so there is the newness of the OS...but trying to be completely objective of the phone, my 3 favorite qualities are the screen, the feel, and the camera.

Now full disclosure, I'm 6'5" with proportional hands, but I love the way the phone fits with one hand. Much moreso than my GS2. Not to mention the rubberized plastic shell just has a nicer feel than cold plastic. I will say though that my wife, who has a GS3, did not like the feel of my 810 comparatively.

The screen is gorgeous though and glad I went with it, even though I struggled with not getting a 720p screen initially. I actually liked this over the 8x in the store, and also presume battery life is better because of the lower pixels which is a nice side effect.

Lastly, I love the camera. I actually ditched at&t for tmo. Primarily due to the plans, but also because for pictures in light, I was not overly impressed with the 920, and that was huge factor with 3 year old twins. And since I've had the phone, I'm even more pleased with the camera than I expected. Now I am not a photo expert, I click and shoot. But compared to the pictures I took on my gs2, and even my iPhone5, I like thus camera the most, from ease of use out of the box, to the output of the pictures themselves.

jmcromer

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I went in to the store set on buying the 8x... but after seeing both phones side by side the 810 screen blew me away. Much more saturation than the HD 8x and text is no slouch either. It looks great. I have a 32 gig microSD in it now and think its great. the 8x looked washed out. Nokia apps out weighed the 8x Beats audio too.

The only thing that concerns me is a slight rattling i hear inside the phone. People are reporting a rattle in the 8x too. I posted about it to see if others are hearing the same thing. might be part of the vibration mechanism... who knows. If others DO NOT hear it, i'm taking mine back and swapping for a new 810. Love the screen and expandability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3