Expanding Memory?

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
So I have a 16GB microSD card that I pulled from one of my devices and I know it works because I've used it.

I inserted this same card into the 810, but looks like the phone doesnt detect it. I go where you see how much available space you have and where it states SD, it's greyed out.

Anyone know how to get this going?

Thanks.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I would pull it out and put it back in again.

If that doesn't work, you might need to format the card.

I did that several times but still nothing. When I get home tonight, I'm going to place that same card into another device to make if it's good or bad. Hope it's the card. Just got the phone last night and made the settings to my liking.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
SOB! I just placed a 32GB microSD card and it wont detect it. Still states "no card found."

So after trying out two different cards, it could be the phone not detecting the cards.

Just so I'm clear, to add on the microSD card, I have to do this:

1. Remove battery
2.Insert SD card.
3. Power phone
4. Go to Settings-->Phone Storage
5. I select SD card-->format <this is where both options of remove card or format card is greyed out>

If all worked like it supposed to, the format card option should be lit up, correct?

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Well it turns out it's the cards, not the phone. So I know for sure that the SanDisk 16GB Class 4 does not work and a PNY Class 10 does not work.

When i went to TMobile during my lunch, we tested out a SanDisc 2GB card and the phone detected right when it booted up. I just didnt get the class number.

So just a heads up if anyone else runs into the same issue.

With this said, does anyone here that has an 810 and has added a microSD card, what brand, size, and class are you using? This will be helpful for me and others.

Thanks

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
:excl:

How do you determine the class of your microSD card? :confused: I've only ever gotten them from T-Mobile directly when I've gotten new phones, but this is the first time I ordered one on my own. Mine is a 32GB microSDHC made by SanDisk. Says "SanDisk Ultra" on it.

Uh oh... I just dug out the paper packaging for it from my recycling and it says "Class 10" on it. But I don't see "PNY" anywhere on it.

Also says it's compatible with both Windows Phone and Android... So, I'm guessing I'm good.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site

How do you determine the class of your microSD card? :confused: I've only ever gotten them from T-Mobile directly when I've gotten new phones, but this is the first time I ordered one on my own. Mine is a 32GB microSDHC made by SanDisk. Says "SanDisk Ultra" on it.

Uh oh... I just dug out the paper packaging for it from my recycling and it says "Class 10" on it. But I don't see "PNY" anywhere on it.

Also says it's compatible with both Windows Phone and Android... So, I'm guessing I'm good.

The PNY is a different brand. To know the class on the card, there's a number with a circle around it, that's the class number.
Cool, then I'll look into an Ultra class 10. I think Best buy has them for $29.99. Thanks!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, now I have to get home tonight, get the box, go to the store, and exchange it. This blows. I spent most of my evening last night downloading apps and arranging them in certain places and removing apps that I didnt want.
Make sure you have the phone set to backup everything. When you restore, it should re-download and restore all the apps you had on your phone (not sure if uninstalled apps will uninstall themselves upon restore though)... the positioning on your start screen won't stick, though :(
Well it turns out it's the cards, not the phone. So I know for sure that the SanDisk 16GB Class 4 does not work and a PNY Class 10 does not work.

When i went to TMobile during my lunch, we tested out a SanDisc 2GB card and the phone detected right when it booted up. I just didnt get the class number.

So just a heads up if anyone else runs into the same issue.

With this said, does anyone here that has an 810 and has added a microSD card, what brand, size, and class are you using? This will be helpful for me and others.

Thanks
Glad you got it working and that it's not a defective unit... had no idea there were restrictions on the types of cards. I have a "SanDisk Mobile Ultra" 32 GB card, Class 10, UHS Speed Class 1. It has a huge Android dude plastered all over the middle of it and the wording at the top says, "Ideal for Android smartphones and tablets".

I can assume that maybe the Class 4 doesn't work in the phone because it's too slow for the phone and MS set some high speed expectations... but the PNY Class 10 throws me for a loop. Either way, I'm a little disappointed that there isn't really anything mentioned about microSD cards in the manual... anywhere. In fact, when I was swapping my regular sim for a micro, the T-Mobile guy told me that the slot on top of the sim tray is for a microSD (he tried to put my old 1 GB card from my android in there, but I declined...)... if that guy hadn't told me where the slot was, I would have no clue where to put the card. It shows the little etched image on the piece you insert it into, but no text, so you really have to be looking for it. (Side note: Weirdest sim tray I've ever seen)

PNY is another company that also makes memory cards. If you have a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 then you'll be fine since that seems to be what I have.

falsehopess

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmm just ran into this as well with one of my 810's I had bought my self a sandisk class 10 32gb card. Installed just fine. Had another Komputer bay 32gb card that was bought to upgrade a dell venue pro and its not being recognized. I used an adapter to computer and its not being recognized by my pc either. Hope its just a bad card and not a bad phone.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
The SanDisk I have is not an Ultra and other here that mentioned theirs work, is an SanDisc Ultra. So that might make a big difference. I went ahead and ordered a 32GB Ultra from Best Buy. Hope I dont have any issues with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb