Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jab2980 View Post
    And all 3 posts were the factual and helpful to those who come here for answers instead of speculation.
    Apparently not, since Wyn6 actually posted proof that he did know what he was talking about in response to your snippy remark...

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts
    First of all, I am not an expert, however the current IMS wifi-calling is not the same as the original UMA (like my wife has on her BBerry) nor the Kineto version (I have on my Android phone). I believe that the IMS is a software only addition. I am told by T-Mo reps that the BBerry 9900 is no long "old school UMA" (which allowed hand-offs) but is also IMS. Theoretically, it is possible to do a software upgrade to a phone that would allow it to work over the current IMS system. When I purchased my Moto Defy, wifi-calling (Kineto) was preinstalled. But several Android devices received it as a OTA upgrade. Also, I know of at least one person who ported it over to his Nexus, and as far as I know, that phone never got it officially.

And... with all due respect to T-Mo reps, I have been told stuff by them in the past -- in good faith mind you -- that turned out to be not true. Such as: "The Moto Defy does not have wifi-calling and won't get it. I just did the official course on the device." (Wifi-calling was already on the phone). "None of the other Android phones can get wifi-calling OTA. It has to come installed." (Then almost all of them got it OTA). So, why don't we keep our minds open? And... an eye on the Developer's forum?

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Okay. So... the 9th has come and gone. As I said, I was skeptical myself as to whether this would actually work or not. But, despite adding the service on the website, it doesn't appear to work. Figured as much. So, perhaps this will come in an OS update somewhere down the road. And, so that people know that this wasn't made up, I've included a screenshot below of my services page.

tmo_wifi.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wyn6 View Post
    As I said, I was skeptical myself as to whether this would actually work or not.
    hmmm... didn't actually see any mention of being skeptical in this thread or the posts on any of the several sites you posted this on as the way to get wi-fi calling on the 810

just jerking your chain, it was a good try
    Thanked by:
    kittengirl likes this.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BfnC View Post
    hmmm... didn't actually see any mention of being skeptical in this thread or the posts on any of the several sites you posted this on as the way to get wi-fi calling on the 810

just jerking your chain, it was a good try
    Good thing I read you were joking as I was about to quote myself from earlier posts. ;) But, not a big disappointment to me either way as I have unlimited everything. So... using minutes for me is a non-issue. Too bad, though. Could've been nice for others. Maybe in the future.

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts
    Yes, it's an incredibly useful option. Keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calfee20 View Post
    It is not the minutes so much as the signal. Tmobile's coverage map has me as good or average signal. The wifi calling would allow me to call from anywhere in the house. I could replace my landline phone but the signal would still come from a physical wire, cable. The 100 minutes should be enough for me. What happens if you go over your minutes? Do they cut you off or charge outrageous prices.
    Overages on the $30 - 100 minute plan are $.10 per minute... So another 100 minutes is $10...

And PS - This was also a question on the Radar and the 710 forever... It won't happen... T-Mo hasn't sold enough 810's or 8X's to write out the software for WiFi calling - but hopefully we can see a Bobsled App in the near future? That worked perfectly on Android - and wouldn't be that hard to port.

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    I hate to beat this subject to death but I found this on Tmobile's site:

Cell Phones with Wifi Calling | Wifi Capable Mobile Phones | T-Mobile

This will list all of tmobile phones that will do wifi calling. If you then add a check mark to win phone under operating system the 810 pops up. So I called their 800 number to ask and I got confirmation that the 810 will do wifi calling. Somehow though I still don't trust this info 100%.............calfee
    Developer

They fixed their web page. Select WiFi calling, and Windows phone check box is no longer an option. Or select Windows phone first, then Wifi calling is no longer an option.
    Guz

iPhone 3G (broken)
    Blackberry 6320 (retired)
    Lumia 810 (current)

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Wow I knew you couldn't believe the phone rep. All she was looking at was the same info as me........I guess I will wait a while yet. I am never an early adopter.

nor has there ever been wifi-calling on windows phone unfortunately!
    Actually, WiFi calling was available in Windows Mobile 6. They dropped it when the OS was revamped for WM7. I hope it comes back.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzzler3 View Post
    It sucks if you use up your minutes during a call, it drops you. But, you can call the person back and continue on, being charged $0.10 per minute. Weird.
    Correction. It doesn't drop you. I know. I was on the phone with Microsoft Support for laptop errors and went over my allotted minutes and it immediately started taking money out of my balance. sadly, I had deposited $30 for next months bill and it took .90 out of that, and you cant add an amount less than $10 at a time to your balance. :P
    However, it WILL drop it if you have a balance of 0 or anything less than 10 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by bdpratt View Post
    Actually, WiFi calling was available in Windows Mobile 6. They dropped it when the OS was revamped for WM7. I hope it comes back.
    Correction. There was no Windows Mobile 7 (WM7). Its Windows Phone 7. and it wasn't "revamped". Even though its based on CE (at least 7.x is), it relies heavily on Silverlight and is a completely different OS. it only shares a few things with WM due to both using CE.

Also, windows phone needs wifi calling. sucks that it doesn't have it (Its weird how tmobile at one point seemed to tout Windows Phones more than any other carrier, and now we have yet to get a bobsled app and wifi calling, and the carrier has passed on 7.8 for devices (which is also weird due to their decent timing with Windows Phone updates in the past from what I've seen.)
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Hodges View Post
    Correction. It doesn't drop you. I know. I was on the phone with Microsoft Support for laptop errors and went over my allotted minutes and it immediately started taking money out of my balance. sadly, I had deposited $30 for next months bill and it took .90 out of that, and you cant add an amount less than $10 at a time to your balance. :P
    However, it WILL drop it if you have a balance of 0 or anything less than 10 cents.
    Odd. I've always kept some extra money in my account, just in case I do use up my allotted minutes, and when I do go over in a call, it drops the call and I have to call back.

Yea, the $10 increments is REALLY annoying.
    Guz

iPhone 3G (broken)
    Blackberry 6320 (retired)
    Lumia 810 (current)

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I'm well aware that using wifi calling will eat my minutes, but sometimes I can't get reception without getting at a wifi network. I just consider this dragging the damn connection in by the ear even inside older buildings.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Let's hope if they do bring it, they do it well. WiFi calling used to work great on my old galaxy s vibrant, and even older bb curve. But, on my wife's galaxy s3 it was so flaky she turned it off. Dropped calls 10' from router, wouldn't ring sometimes, she'd pick up but no voice. That was last fall, maybe there has been an update since then :)

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Mushroom View Post
    I'm well aware that using wifi calling will eat my minutes, but sometimes I can't get reception without getting at a wifi network. I just consider this dragging the damn connection in by the ear even inside older buildings.
    Um, if coverage is that bad, why do you keep T-Mobile?

Ok, my turn to beat on this subject some more. Did anyone see this thread over at the Microsoft forums? Seems like it should get enabled if you talk to the right people. I'm dying to get the 810 but need wifi calling as well. I would love to know if anyone else is successful if they pursue it like those guys on that thread did.
    Thanked by:
    Mystictrust likes this.

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Wow great post. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by waazzupppp View Post
    Um, if coverage is that bad, why do you keep T-Mobile?
    it's not the coverage per se but rather T-Mobile signal does not penetrate buildings as well. That's why T-Mobile's WiFi calling is so great. I've also had people tell me the call quality is excellent when I used WiFi

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure this just brought tears to my eyes. I've been begging for WiFi calling on Windows phone for a very long time. It's the only thing that's been keeping me from switching from android.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zapata View Post
    It's the only thing that's been keeping me from switching from android.
    Same here. I did just upgrade my Tmo SGS2 to Jelly Bean, but that's just to hold me over till they bring wifi calling to WP. Once that happens, I'll probably go with the 810 on their tasty new no-contract $30 all-you-can-eat data/text plan. The 720 would be my first pick actually, but doesn't look like it supports Tmo's bands. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by rainking430 View Post
    Ok, my turn to beat on this subject some more. Did anyone see this thread over at the Microsoft forums? Seems like it should get enabled if you talk to the right people. I'm dying to get the 810 but need wifi calling as well. I would love to know if anyone else is successful if they pursue it like those guys on that thread did.
    You rock. This is the closest we've come now to getting wifi calling on Windows Phone! A couple of screenshots, an actual end user with it enabled, and reports from someone else who heard from an employee about a limited beta test. Please let it come soon! Realistically, maybe August? *hopeful*

Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    You rock
    Lol thanks. Just had to share the news with my fellow wifi calling/WP/Tmo fans. FWIW I've also posted it on the two relevant threads that have been languishing on Tmo's forums:

810 thread

8x thread

Might be good for as many of us as possible to make our voices heard over there.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I just had a thought. Since the hardware between all WP8 devices is fairly uniform (compared to android) would T-Mobile's WiFi calling for WP8 work if someone decided to go the BYOD route instead of buying a T-Mobile-branded device. I don't see why not, but I'm no expert.

Good point, might be worth checking out if you want to roll a Rogers 920 on their network. Man, I'm lovin' that 720 though! Why, oh why won't it support Tmo bands???
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast