T-mobile's wifi calling

eternalemb

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm a t-mobile rep...trust me, no WiFi calling on the 810. I happen to be the Windows Phone rep in my store and have had the 810 for about a month (before it launched) and have attended trainings for the Nokia and HTC devices hosted by Microsoft. No UMA. Sorry. Seems weird considering how much we (t-mobile) push WiFi calling as a differentiating factor among our competitors, but that's how it is at the moment...

CaFe88

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
i work for t-mobile and own the nokia lumia 810 and no there no support at the moment nor has there ever been wifi-calling on windows phone unfortunately! adding the feature wont do nothing for you if the phone doesnt support it.

scrannel

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
First of all, I am not an expert, however the current IMS wifi-calling is not the same as the original UMA (like my wife has on her BBerry) nor the Kineto version (I have on my Android phone). I believe that the IMS is a software only addition. I am told by T-Mo reps that the BBerry 9900 is no long "old school UMA" (which allowed hand-offs) but is also IMS. Theoretically, it is possible to do a software upgrade to a phone that would allow it to work over the current IMS system. When I purchased my Moto Defy, wifi-calling (Kineto) was preinstalled. But several Android devices received it as a OTA upgrade. Also, I know of at least one person who ported it over to his Nexus, and as far as I know, that phone never got it officially.

And... with all due respect to T-Mo reps, I have been told stuff by them in the past -- in good faith mind you -- that turned out to be not true. Such as: "The Moto Defy does not have wifi-calling and won't get it. I just did the official course on the device." (Wifi-calling was already on the phone). "None of the other Android phones can get wifi-calling OTA. It has to come installed." (Then almost all of them got it OTA). So, why don't we keep our minds open? And... an eye on the Developer's forum?

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay. So... the 9th has come and gone. As I said, I was skeptical myself as to whether this would actually work or not. But, despite adding the service on the website, it doesn't appear to work. Figured as much. So, perhaps this will come in an OS update somewhere down the road. And, so that people know that this wasn't made up, I've included a screenshot below of my services page.

Tmo_WiFi.jpg

BfnC

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
As I said, I was skeptical myself as to whether this would actually work or not.

hmmm... didn't actually see any mention of being skeptical in this thread or the posts on any of the several sites you posted this on as the way to get wi-fi calling on the 810 :wink:

just jerking your chain, it was a good try

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
hmmm... didn't actually see any mention of being skeptical in this thread or the posts on any of the several sites you posted this on as the way to get wi-fi calling on the 810 :wink:

just jerking your chain, it was a good try

Good thing I read you were joking as I was about to quote myself from earlier posts. ;) But, not a big disappointment to me either way as I have unlimited everything. So... using minutes for me is a non-issue. Too bad, though. Could've been nice for others. Maybe in the future.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
It is not the minutes so much as the signal. Tmobile's coverage map has me as good or average signal. The wifi calling would allow me to call from anywhere in the house. I could replace my landline phone but the signal would still come from a physical wire, cable. The 100 minutes should be enough for me. What happens if you go over your minutes? Do they cut you off or charge outrageous prices.

Overages on the $30 - 100 minute plan are $.10 per minute... So another 100 minutes is $10...

And PS - This was also a question on the Radar and the 710 forever... It won't happen... T-Mo hasn't sold enough 810's or 8X's to write out the software for WiFi calling - but hopefully we can see a Bobsled App in the near future? That worked perfectly on Android - and wouldn't be that hard to port.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I hate to beat this subject to death but I found this on Tmobile's site:

Cell Phones with Wifi Calling | Wifi Capable Mobile Phones | T-Mobile

This will list all of tmobile phones that will do wifi calling. If you then add a check mark to win phone under operating system the 810 pops up. So I called their 800 number to ask and I got confirmation that the 810 will do wifi calling. Somehow though I still don't trust this info 100%.............calfee

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
They fixed their web page. Select WiFi calling, and Windows phone check box is no longer an option. Or select Windows phone first, then Wifi calling is no longer an option.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow I knew you couldn't believe the phone rep. All she was looking at was the same info as me........I guess I will wait a while yet. I am never an early adopter.

bdpratt

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
nor has there ever been wifi-calling on windows phone unfortunately!

Actually, WiFi calling was available in Windows Mobile 6. They dropped it when the OS was revamped for WM7. I hope it comes back.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
It sucks if you use up your minutes during a call, it drops you. But, you can call the person back and continue on, being charged $0.10 per minute. Weird.

Correction. It doesn't drop you. I know. I was on the phone with Microsoft Support for laptop errors and went over my allotted minutes and it immediately started taking money out of my balance. sadly, I had deposited $30 for next months bill and it took .90 out of that, and you cant add an amount less than $10 at a time to your balance. :p
However, it WILL drop it if you have a balance of 0 or anything less than 10 cents.

Actually, WiFi calling was available in Windows Mobile 6. They dropped it when the OS was revamped for WM7. I hope it comes back.
Correction. There was no Windows Mobile 7 (WM7). Its Windows Phone 7. and it wasn't "revamped". Even though its based on CE (at least 7.x is), it relies heavily on Silverlight and is a completely different OS. it only shares a few things with WM due to both using CE.

Also, windows phone needs wifi calling. sucks that it doesn't have it (Its weird how tmobile at one point seemed to tout Windows Phones more than any other carrier, and now we have yet to get a bobsled app and wifi calling, and the carrier has passed on 7.8 for devices (which is also weird due to their decent timing with Windows Phone updates in the past from what I've seen.)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Correction. It doesn't drop you. I know. I was on the phone with Microsoft Support for laptop errors and went over my allotted minutes and it immediately started taking money out of my balance. sadly, I had deposited $30 for next months bill and it took .90 out of that, and you cant add an amount less than $10 at a time to your balance. :p
However, it WILL drop it if you have a balance of 0 or anything less than 10 cents.
Odd. I've always kept some extra money in my account, just in case I do use up my allotted minutes, and when I do go over in a call, it drops the call and I have to call back.

Yea, the $10 increments is REALLY annoying.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm well aware that using wifi calling will eat my minutes, but sometimes I can't get reception without getting at a wifi network. I just consider this dragging the damn connection in by the ear even inside older buildings.

wp_fan_central

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Let's hope if they do bring it, they do it well. WiFi calling used to work great on my old galaxy s vibrant, and even older bb curve. But, on my wife's galaxy s3 it was so flaky she turned it off. Dropped calls 10' from router, wouldn't ring sometimes, she'd pick up but no voice. That was last fall, maybe there has been an update since then :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05