T-mobile's wifi calling

rainking430

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok, my turn to beat on this subject some more. Did anyone see this thread over at the Microsoft forums? Seems like it should get enabled if you talk to the right people. I'm dying to get the 810 but need wifi calling as well. I would love to know if anyone else is successful if they pursue it like those guys on that thread did.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Um, if coverage is that bad, why do you keep T-Mobile?
it's not the coverage per se but rather T-Mobile signal does not penetrate buildings as well. That's why T-Mobile's WiFi calling is so great. I've also had people tell me the call quality is excellent when I used WiFi

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this just brought tears to my eyes. I've been begging for WiFi calling on Windows phone for a very long time. It's the only thing that's been keeping me from switching from android.

rainking430

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
It's the only thing that's been keeping me from switching from android.

Same here. I did just upgrade my Tmo SGS2 to Jelly Bean, but that's just to hold me over till they bring wifi calling to WP. Once that happens, I'll probably go with the 810 on their tasty new no-contract $30 all-you-can-eat data/text plan. The 720 would be my first pick actually, but doesn't look like it supports Tmo's bands. :-(

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, my turn to beat on this subject some more. Did anyone see this thread over at the Microsoft forums? Seems like it should get enabled if you talk to the right people. I'm dying to get the 810 but need wifi calling as well. I would love to know if anyone else is successful if they pursue it like those guys on that thread did.
You rock. This is the closest we've come now to getting wifi calling on Windows Phone! A couple of screenshots, an actual end user with it enabled, and reports from someone else who heard from an employee about a limited beta test. Please let it come soon! Realistically, maybe August? *hopeful*

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I just had a thought. Since the hardware between all WP8 devices is fairly uniform (compared to android) would T-Mobile's WiFi calling for WP8 work if someone decided to go the BYOD route instead of buying a T-Mobile-branded device. I don't see why not, but I'm no expert.

rainking430

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Good point, might be worth checking out if you want to roll a Rogers 920 on their network. Man, I'm lovin' that 720 though! Why, oh why won't it support Tmo bands???

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Forget the 920, the Eos is where it's at.

Also, just showed those screenshots to my girlfriend. She was ecstatic and has decided that she can and will be getting the 521 when it's released. Same boat as me, no WiFi calling no deal.

rainking430

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
FYI the latest posts on that MS thread give you the steps to supposedly get it working right now. Can anyone try this and confirm if they've had success?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
FYI the latest posts on that MS thread give you the steps to supposedly get it working right now. Can anyone try this and confirm if they've had success?
Call in, get Wi-Fi calling added to your account, get special sim card, hard reset? Well, having Wi-Fi calling added to your account is either because it's in a testing phase right now, or T-Mobile is guarding it by making you call in to get it. The way it's always worked is you got Wi-Fi calling as a software feature to make calls using your minute bucket (no calling in or talking to customer service, it just WORKED on Android), and you call in to get the plan to allow unlimited calls over Wi-Fi that don't take away from your minute bucket. Unless that process has changed, of course. This was back when there were actually minute buckets - doesn't really matter, now :p

I've hard reset my phone too many times already for random stuff. The last time I did it, I lost access to both iheartradio and USAA since they got pulled from the WP8 marketplace- and USAA is never coming back. Not gonna do it again unless multiple people can confirm this on an 810. This is a very important feature and one of the reasons I've been happy on T-Mobile.

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I saw that thread. I'd trade my Lumia 710 in for a 810 if it had wi-fi calling enabled. I'll lose my cell connection when I'm in buildings, but always have wifi access. Hopefully someone will be able to document a process for getting it to work. As far as I've seen, it's just the one guy so far.

I tried the online chat with t-mobile and didn't get any answers. Maybe I'll call and ask for tech support later.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I saw that thread. I'd trade my Lumia 710 in for a 810 if it had wi-fi calling enabled. I'll lose my cell connection when I'm in buildings, but always have wifi access. Hopefully someone will be able to document a process for getting it to work. As far as I've seen, it's just the one guy so far.

I tried the online chat with t-mobile and didn't get any answers. Maybe I'll call and ask for tech support later.
I tried that both with TMO and Nokia, as per manufacturer, this has WiFi capabilities but its on carrier to enable it with firmware update. am not too hopeful since carrier has EOLed this set now.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I started this thread on 11/16/2012. I finally have a phone, a Nokia 521 and I updated the phone several hours ago to install Wifi calling. This should be available on all phones and carriers.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
The 1318 update is supposed to be the one with the WiFi calling added in... There is no time frame on this coming to the 810 yet... I know that 1308 was shot down due to connectivity problems and I'm hoping that they have moved past 1314 in testing and gone straight to 1318... This would also include access to Storage Check as well... This will NOT include the Data Sense update that should be rolling out later this summer if T-Mobile chooses to support it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion