Internet Sharing

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
All right. While the setting is in the Settings of my 810, when I tap "Turn on" it gives me a message that Internet isn't currently available.

It certainly works on my fianc?e's HD7 and I can even see my device and the pass code as it attempts to cycle on. So, has anyone gotten this to work on their device?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Odd. Same error here. I really hope T-Mobile didn't block tethering for people without tethering plans (although, it makes sense for them, haha :p). I'm not sure if the internet sharing option can "talk" to the sim and see the plan or not though. A call to T-Mobile tech support maybe? I might do that later and see if they can give me a definitive answer.

Edit: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5005#Tethering__Smartphone_Mobile_HotSpot__WiFi_Sharing
To use Tethering or Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (Wi-Fi Sharing), your rate plan must include the Smartphone Mobile HotSpot add-on feature.
Well, that sucks. I guess if I really need to tether, I'll have to use a microsim-to-sim adapter alongside my old Android phone :(

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I also have the 810 and tried the Internet Sharing option and I received the "need to have certain plan to share" message. For over a year, I was able to Internet Share with my HD7 and no be charged. I guess it's a different story with all the new WP8 devices.

However, I still 2nd line that uses the HD7 phone and I can still internet share at no cost.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I guess they decided they could use that extra bit of revenue. The mobile hotspot feature is 10 bucks a month. I'll get it if I really need it. Right now it comes in handy for my fianc?e's Surface, but the HD7 is hers, so no issues there. I was looking at it for when the Surface Pro hits. Guess I got time to decide.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile quietly changed all of that, now you have to pay for tethering ...but if you get the unlimited, no throttling add-on, you can't get the tethering add-on at all.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Internet Sharing has been completely ruined on Windows Phones. It is essentially carrier bloatware on your phone because it has no use for anyone who doens't have an unbranded phone.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up my 810 today and I can confirm that the Internet Sharing/WiFi Tethering works. I have the 5GB data plan which includes that function.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
xda will likely have a fix for this in a few weeks
I would be VERY interested in knowing if they can actually pull this off. The new shared kernel is supposed to be very locked down and supposedly they blocked a method they were using to be able to flash ROMS over. I wonder how long it will take to crack it? :)

JaviPR

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
hi,

I recently got a T-Mobile Lumia 810 with the 2GB plan which does not include tethering. I was about to return it and get an android phone as having tethering is a make or break feature for me and I refuse to pay 15$ for it when I can enable it on any android with ease.

I know that Nokia has an app called "Access Point" which enables editing and addition of APNs but if you search store via your tmobile lumia 810 that app wont show up. I was able to sideload it tho by going to the Microsoft Windows Phone Store on the web on my pc and clicking on the 'manual download and install' which lets you save the app to your pc. I then copied the app to an SD card and inserted the SD card to my Lumia 810. You then goto Store on your phone, and choose SD card (it takes a few minutes for the app to register the SD card if u just plugged it in, at least it did for me) the downloade app will show up under 'Compatible Apps', I installed it from there and what happened was this: In the 'Settings', at the bottom, a new 'Access Point' appeared which let me choose Tmobile APN and set it. After I did that when I went to 'Internet Sharing' I was able to turn it out and setup my wifi hotspot and connect my PC and android phone to the Lumia 810's Internet!

What I do not know is if Tmobile will notice that im tethering and then charge me for the feature heh. Ill be sure to find out I guess.

Can also use this QR code to install the Access Point app from Nokia:

nokia accesspoint app.png

to scan it use the Search on the phone, click Vision icon and focus the code, a web url link should appear, click on it to install Nokia's Access Point.

Let me know how it goes for all!

JaviPR

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Also this Access Point app will let you add other network's APNs if you happen to be using an unlocked 810 on another carrier. AFAIK.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Holy c@#$, that's awesome! I've had that installed for just in case I have to travel out of country. I've had it set to T-Mobile ever since I installed it, but I never bothered to try flipping on tethering.

I don't need tethering, except in those rare occasions, it's nice to know I can cheat when needed.

Let us know if T-mo tags you for using it ;)

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
JaviPR,

Thanks for the information. I tried it but it didn't work for me. I already Access Point installed on my Lumia 810. I set the AP to T-Mobile:
APSetting810.jpg
After I set it, I tried to enable Internet sharing, but I got the same message saying that I don't have tethering plan. So I rebooted my phone. After rebooting, I can enable Internet sharing. I was able to network my laptop to the phone. But when I try to goto a website from my laptop, I got this message from my laptop:
TetheringRejected.jpg
So it doesn't work for me. Do you have other non-default settings or applications loaded on your device?

Thanks.

JaviPR

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
The first time I tried it I loaded up google and facebook but now I went again and tried it and I also got the Tmobile tether plan walledgarden page...

so sorry this doesn't work out ...

however for people using a 810 on another provider the access point app should be able to let them connect to that provider's internet network afaik.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
That's cool. Thanks. Guess I will wait for the XDA forum for a hack on this. Worst case, I will put my SIM card back into the 710 when I need to tether.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
After I set it, I tried to enable Internet sharing, but I got the same message saying that I don't have tethering plan. So I rebooted my phone. After rebooting, I can enable Internet sharing. I was able to network my laptop to the phone. But when I try to goto a website from my laptop, I got this message from my laptop:
View attachment 26166
So it doesn't work for me. Do you have other non-default settings or applications loaded on your device?

Thanks.
You're halfway there... getting that far means it's possible on the 810! YES! (Note: This is the same screen that most people with non-tethering plans get when they try to tether these days)

All you have to do is use a browser on your laptop, such as Firefox, that allows you to change your user agent string. Change it to the user agent string for a mobile browser and it'll work.

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
You're halfway there... getting that far means it's possible on the 810! YES! (Note: This is the same screen that most people with non-tethering plans get when they try to tether these days)

All you have to do is use a browser on your laptop, such as Firefox, that allows you to change your user agent string. Change it to the user agent string for a mobile browser and it'll work.

I am having the same problem... When ipad, laptop and another mobile phone is tethered with the Nokia 810, all of them go to the t mobile page above, and cannot do data for email or apps such as Facebook, etc....

Darthhen... Have you tried the T-mobile ipv6 one?? What is that??

Also Mystictrust... You said you got "T-mobile APN".... Do you have the APN settings for that?? Maybe we can manually add them.

Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos