Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jmcromer
  • 1 Post By dexi

Does anyone else hear a slight rattle in their 810? Seems to be coming from around the camera lens area.
    I wonder if its just my phone or others as well. If others, it might be part of the vibration device or something.

I would be less concerned if others are hearing it as well.
    I can't speak personally just yet because I'm still waiting for my 810 to be delivered, but 920 owners have been reporting a similar issue. Is this rattling occurring when you're using the camera, or when the phone is on vibrate?

I hear it when vibrates...AND if i tap the upper part of the phone back or shake the phone a little I can hear rattle. its inside the housing for sure... close to the camera area.

I removed the backing, the simcard+tray, and microSD card. can still hear the rattling.

No rattling here. I'm shaking my phone like a salt shaker and I hear nothing. You might consider exchanging it for another device.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    no rattling here either. i've heard reports of some rattling because of the inductive charging contacts on the back of the phone being loose, as they are...and not held in place by the back of the phone. i would assume IF this is true, that either the back of the phone isn't secured properly, or of faulty design....and that the wireless charging covers would prevent this from happening.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it might just be a faulty/defective unit. :)

Will go into tmo today and compair to their live display unit...and exchange if necessary. Will post back result
    Hmm... Well, my 810 had the vibrate feature turned on when I got it yesterday and it did vibrate at one point when texts loaded. However, I didn't notice any rattling. It could be your device, as others have said.

Stopped by the t-mo store and listened to two other phones. Could hear rattle in both when shaking like salt shaker back to front. Can hear it clearly with back of phone removed. Convinced it is not just my phone and must be design flaw or something in the design/build.
    Hmm... Odd. My phone is vibrating as I'm using Messenger by Ashterisk to text with a friend and it's not rattling at all.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcromer View Post
    Stopped by the t-mo store and listened to two other phones. Could hear rattle in both when shaking like salt shaker back to front. Can hear it clearly with back of phone removed. Convinced it is not just my phone and must be design flaw or something in the design/build.
    With your back cover off, if you look at the left edge (phone facedown) aout 1/4th of the way down and on the right edge about half way down you will see copper contacts. These are for wireless charging, I believe. If you tap on them you will notice they move. This is what you're hearing while shaking your phone.

Now, the back cover should hold these in place and prevent that from happening. Make sure your cover is completely secure. Take it off and put it back on top first (camera side) and snap it together going back toward the bottom (USB port) making sure to press down on all sides.

I don't hear it in mine. But, when I was looking at the SD slot I noticed a rattle and soon figured out it was these contacts which are meant to be loose by the way. A wireless charging back may also fix this as it may come fully in contact with the contacts.

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    OP is correct. We have 4 Lumia 810s on a family plan and 2 of them rattle when they vibrate and the other 2 do not. Thanks for pointing this out. We will be going to the store tomorrow to check about swapping them out. Unless most of the units do this then I will consider it a defect.

The rattle is definitely not coming from the connectors on the right and left edges of the phone. Sound coming from inside the housing close to the camera lens. Whatever it is, its not accessible from the outside. Checked all screws and connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by TJWINS View Post
    OP is correct. We have 4 Lumia 810s on a family plan and 2 of them rattle when they vibrate and the other 2 do not. Thanks for pointing this out. We will be going to the store tomorrow to check about swapping them out. Unless most of the units do this then I will consider it a defect.
    please post back if you get non rattling phones when you go back to the store...you'll inspire me to stand my ground and get them to replace mine ;)

Thanks

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    please post back if you get non rattling phones when you go back to the store...you'll inspire me to stand my ground and get them to replace mine ;)

Thanks
    LOL! Will do....

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    .....and you are correct it's definitely NOT coming from the connectors.

The rattle is definitely not coming from the connectors on the right and left edges of the phone. Sound coming from inside the housing close to the camera lens. Whatever it is, its not accessible from the outside. Checked all screws and connectors.
    ok, I was wrong...rattle IS coming partly from the simcard loose in the tray and partly from the connectors along the edge.

With the sim and tray removed if you hold both connectors with ur fingers at same time no rattling. If you do the same thing with the sim And tray IN the phone you can hear rattle from sim.
    ok, I was wrong...rattle IS coming partly from the simcard loose in the tray and partly from the connectors along the edge.

With the sim and tray removed if you hold both connectors with ur fingers at same time no rattling. If you do the same thing with the sim And tray IN the phone you can hear rattle from sim.
    I was actually wondering if it could be related to the SIM tray. I noticed when I got my phone on Monday that I had to push it all the way in (same with the microSD card) to ensure that nothing was loose. Were you able to fix the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    I was actually wondering if it could be related to the SIM tray. I noticed when I got my phone on Monday that I had to push it all the way in (same with the microSD card) to ensure that nothing was loose. Were you able to fix the issue?
    Yeah... used a sliver of tape along the back edge of the sim tray holding to the phone body....seems to keep the tray from rattling. When the back of the phone is secured the connectors are then secured.... all better:-) THANKS!
    metalchick719 likes this.

And BTW, T-Mobile isn't too keen on any exchanges, at least not in the Wheaton, MD Store. When I went in today to inquire about an exchange (7 days into ownership) I was told to hold on a second by Andrew. He went to the back of the store with my receipt only to return minutes later explaining that that couldn't do an exchange because they were "out of stock". I left the store and 5 minutes later I called inquiring about purchasing a new 810...I was told by Andy (a different representative) that they had plenty in stock and would be available when I arrived. Surprise surprise. l went back and resolved my issue with Andy and ultimately ended up not doing the exchange but I'm sure they'll think twice about lying again... or maybe not. Beware.

I am experiencing the rattling around my camera lens as well. I will be going to T-Mobile this weekend to address. Thanks.

I had the same problem, and I wanted to exchange my phone. TMobile wanted $140 as deductible. So I said to myself that I will repair the phone by myself. just before I wanted to use the screw driver I checked once more for possible sources of the rattling. I pulled everything from the phone. I checked that the rattling comes from the pins which connects the wireless charging cover with the phone. They are in the middle of the phone on the sides of the battery.

The other source was the SIM card. The noise was very close to the camera and I thought that I dropped the phone somewhere and something broke inside. I squeezed the aluminum drawer for the sim card, so the sim card did not have any space to rattle, and the rattling almost do not exist anymore.
    Thanked by:
    sixseven likes this.

Does any one know if this will cause problems to the phone?

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    This is pretty much a Lumia-wide issue. There are a lot of theories that involve the SIM card tray, the floating lens camera, etc. The truth is, in my opinion, it's a combination between a manufacturing and design defect.

I've had 5 Lumia 900's and a Lumia 920 (yes, you read that correctly). Two of the 900's had the rattle defect when the phone vibrated and my current 920 does as well.

I HIGHLY suggest that you do not do a swap through T-Mobile over the phone as you will most likely receive another refurbished device with defects that are more troublesome. If possible, exchange it at a local retail store and you MIGHT get lucky enough to get a handset without the rattle defect.

I seem to suffer from the rattling problem as well. It does sound like its coming from the camera/sim card area. I can not pinpoint exactly what the cause is.