My first battery issue on the 810

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I've been getting about 21+ hours of battery life with regular usage (about 14 or so when I stream iHeartRadio for my long drives twice a week) - no problem there. After snagging a screenshot of my battery life last night (shortly before it hit 22 hours), I put the phone on the charger.

nodmdd.png

I woke up this morning, unplugged the phone, and went to the gym. I came back an hour and a half later and I had 66% battery life!!!

I had done only ONE thing different: I left the phone on the charger all night instead of unplugging it after it being fully charged. With my battery life now having the same issues many of the 920 owners are experiencing, this leads me to believe that either Windows Phone 8, or Nokia's battery, does NOT actually shut off the charge when it is fully charged. It is my understanding that most devices these days have a safeguard in place and stop charging once it is at 100%. What if Nokia and/or the WP software doesn't have this safeguard?

I'll give it a few more days, ensuring to unplug the phone after it's fully charged (and never charging overnight again), and see what happens. If battery life continues to suck, I will exchange it where I bought it (Microsoft Store). If they won't let me exchange it, I'll just return it, come back later, and buy it again. I bought if full price so I have 30 days :)

Last edited:

wprob

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
that's weird....i don't use battery saver...and i always get all-day battery...i leave it plugged in all night as i sleep. if i think of it this weekend i'll leave it unplugged and use it and see how long it lasts...i've been loving my battery life so far

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... I normally charge my phone(s) overnight, too. I was going to let it sit without the charger plugged in last night as it was at 46% and said there was over a day of power left, but I worried that I would wake up to a dead battery, so I charged it anyway. So, wait... Mystictrust, are you saying that after charging your 810 overnight, the battery was only at 66%?! :straight:

I never thought the charge would stop once the battery reached 100%. Most of the time, I would charge my iPhone overnight and it would definitely reach 100% way before I would wake in the morning. I've never had an issue with its battery as a result. Are you sure that batteries stop charging when they get to 100%?

falsehopess

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I had random battery issues crop up with my htc arrive strange thing they would just go away. My 810 has sat on the charger every night since I bought it and battery life has been great.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So, wait... Mystictrust, are you saying that after charging your 810 overnight, the battery was only at 66%?! :straight:
Not quite. After charging overnight my battery was at 100%, but after an hour and a half of not even touching the phone it had dropped to 66%.

Glad to hear others are leaving it plugged in overnight and not getting what I got. So either it was a one time fluke or I've got a bad battery. I probably will end up exchanging it.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I think I may be having battery issues as well. The first day I received it, I gave it a good, full charge. Last me 16 hours with 20% still left. That was 2 days ago. Today, i charged it fully and 1:30 hours later it's showing at 87% and that I have & hours left to go! What?! I'll keep my eye on it but it doesn't seem right....

*edit* Straaange. Turned my phone off and on, now it show 84% but it tells me i have 18hours left! Some kind of software glitch?

devindg

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's a software glitch. The estimation that the phone gives you most likely depends on current use patterns (i.e., estimation is dynamic). Suppose, for example, that you are browsing the web, using Skype, listening to music, etc. and you check your phone for an estimate; the estimate, in this case, should be low. Why? Probably because the phone ``thinks'' (projects) you're going to continue to use your phone in this way. If, however, you were to leave your phone alone for say, five minutes, you should find that the estimate for time left will be much higher. Hope this helps.

wprob

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
ok...just checked my phone...it's 6.48pm and i've had the phone off the charger all day since 5am...so 14 hrs and i've got 22% left, moderate usage in the morning, light in the afternoon, moderate for the last hour or so. i'm happy so far...i'll continue to keep an eye on it and see what, if any, apps affect that.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Not quite. After charging overnight my battery was at 100%, but after an hour and a half of not even touching the phone it had dropped to 66%.

Glad to hear others are leaving it plugged in overnight and not getting what I got. So either it was a one time fluke or I've got a bad battery. I probably will end up exchanging it.

Oh, gotcha now. Wow, that sounds really bad. That sucks. Maybe you should test it out a couple more times to see if it happens again or if it was a one time thing?

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks devindg, I think you're right on. It makes sense and from what I have observed, this is what is happening.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh, gotcha now. Wow, that sounds really bad. That sucks. Maybe you should test it out a couple more times to see if it happens again or if it was a one time thing?
That is an EXCELLENT idea! I mean, I'm within my 30 day window, who cares if it happens again - I'll just exchange it for a new phone! Then again, maybe I want to do it anyway so I can get a new receipt and then get a free set of those awesome Nokia headphones (seriously? Nov 20th? Why didn't Nokia set their promotion to the day the 920 came out since it came out first? Ridiculous)

My battery life without having it plugged in overnight is outstanding again
25iok8o.png

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... Can the battery really survive two full days on standby if it's only at 19%? I let my phone get to 20% last night before I put it on the charger, and it had been 13 hours since it had been charged. I'm getting probably slightly lesser battery life than what my iPhone gave me, but it's fine. Can't really expect smartphone batteries to last two days between charging. My Nokia E73 Mode has the most superior battery life of any phone I've owned - I only had to charge it every FOUR days! :excited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I would LOVE to test it out but I know I'll be using my phone over the next 2 days and it'll probably only last that long if a barely use my phone :p That estimate on remaining time is high because I hadn't picked it up in hours and the only thing I did before taking that screenshot was send a text and play a word on Words By Post. It only says there are 5 hours left now (and it's at 11% - 1 day and 14 hours since last charge).

Four day battery life is ideal!

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean to hijack a thread and apologize if I should have just created a new one. I'm just curious as to how anyone is getting so much battery life out of the 810. I get about 8 to 10 hours from 100% to phone shut down. This typically includes some text messages and continuous music playback via the standard music app playing music from the SD card. I have disabled most background apps, most of the radios: location, bluetooth, (only voice and 4G). I have very few live tiles.

scrannel

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
One quick question: how is your signal? If you leave your device with wifi on, for example, and there is no wifi signal, some devices will keep searching -- same for cell/data signal -- and my experience is this will use battery as it searches. If you are in a marginal signal area, for example...

Paul Wilcox

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok, totally newbie here, just got my phone 2 days ago. Pretty heavy use after the first charge, so wasn't too suprised that I depleted the battery in 5 hours. But I charged it over night, had a full charge this morn, didn't use it all that much and it has only lasted 6 hours! Also, how do you do the screen capture from your phone?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, totally newbie here, just got my phone 2 days ago. Pretty heavy use after the first charge, so wasn't too suprised that I depleted the battery in 5 hours. But I charged it over night, had a full charge this morn, didn't use it all that much and it has only lasted 6 hours! Also, how do you do the screen capture from your phone?

Goto settings -> Background tasks, uncheck Nokia Drive if possible and the other ones which you dont use...

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Other apps I can turn off background task and even check that box for turning it on the next time I open the app but for some reason the Nokia drive app won't allow me to check the box. When I tap it it just disappears and the 'block' box reappears. I don't want to completely disable the background, just whenever I don't open it. Any info?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills