Ear buds?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I really need some new ear buds to go with my 810. I've only had straight ear buds for playing music in the past, but this time I'm thinking of getting some that have inline controls. So I have no clue what to look for. So could someone school me on inline control ear buds?

I know what I need, forward/back buttons, and volume control.

zedmartinez

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone uses a very small subset of headsets. Anything labeled as "for iPhone" will not work. The audio will, the controls won't. I haven't tested all of them, but in theory any Android-compatible headsets not explicitly for the Galaxy series should work fine. Off the top of my head, the only premium buds I can think of that are compatible are Nokia's Purity line, the HTC urbeats HTC had made for the One series Androids (available at cell phone stores like AT&T, but not in stores like Best Buy, at least around here), and the Kilpsch S4a (although it's only a one button, the Purity and urbeats are three button units). I use the urbeats, and while they're a bit bass heavy by themselves, the 7 band EQ on my 920 let me counteract that and get pretty good sound out of them. I can;t find anywhere if the 810 has the EQ also, but it has the Dolby so I'm hopin maybe it does. if so, the urbeats are easy enough to come by, and if a bit sticky at $100 for sound that needs some help, the three buttons and mic work perfectly 100% with Lumias.

CaFe88

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
yea any iphone compatible headsets w/ inline controls don't work. ive tried my bose mie2i and it doesnt work with my lumia 810 but the headphones that came with my galaxy s3 inline controls work perfect.

CaFe88

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Bose now makes MIE2 for Android and Windows phone:

Bose IE2 Headphones - Audio Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones

I have bought a lot of headphones over time and these are by far the best I have ever heard/purchased for this price range. A co-worker bought them when they first released and still uses them daily. I wish they had the MIE2 when I bought my IE2 for the controls.

i had those prior to losing them and they worked fine for calls but no inline controls.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I was bouncing around Nokia's USA web site and ran across this:

What type of headsets can I use with my Nokia Lumia phone?

Always use compatible headsets and accessories with your phone.

Nokia Bluetooth headsets: for example BH-108, BH-109, BH-111, BH-112, BH-214, BH-217, BH-218, BH-219, Nokia Luna (BH-220), BH-504, BH-505,BH- 609, Nokia Essence (BH-610), Nokia J (BH-806), BH-904, BH-905 and BH-905i .

Nokia Wired headsets: WH-902 and Nokia Purity by Monster stereo headsets WH-920, WH-930.
Nokia Lumia has an American Headset Jack (AHJ) 3.5 mm connector which is different than the OMTP (Open Mobile Terminal Platform) pin-out in all other Nokia non-Windows products outside of North America, the differences can be seen in the below diagram:

Connector_interface.jpg

The Nokia headsets with OMTP interface may not work properly with your Lumia because the pin-out is different, the user may experience:

• Audio may be dampened.
  • Microphone may not work.
  • Answer/End buttons do not work (digital protocol not supported).
  • Occasionally, the audio is turned down to ?0? when the headphones are plugged into the phone thus ?turning off? the audio.
It is advised to use the wired headset that came with the device WH-902 or the Nokia Purity by Monster stereo headsets WH-920, WH-930, BH-940. The OMTP headsets can still be used with a special adapter as an alternative, an adapter you can get from your local Nokia Care point or phone retailers.

Please note that Nokia headphones without a microphone having the 3.5 mm audio jack will work normally, but Nokia headphones (with microphone) with Nokia AV/OMTP pin-out do not work properly with Nokia Lumia.

Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 introduces a universal audio connector, it enables the use of both American Headset Jack (AHJ) headsets and standard Nokia OMTP headsets.

Further reading I find on Wikipedia:

American Headset Jack: an alternative pinout configuration for 3.5mm audio connectors. This configuration can be found on devices such as Apple iPhone, and is not compatible with the configuration found in many other devices which conform to OMTP specifications. When a non-compatible headset is connected, audio may be poor or non-existent.

So.. the Lumia 920/820 should be able to use either or. Now does the 810? I'm guessing yes.

I still need to find an inexpensive set of earbuds that have song forward/back/pause controls (I ride and love having music when I ride, but need to skip around what's playing).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans