Weird 810 issue...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So, on Friday night I was out with my boyfriend, and on the way back to his house, I tried playing some Words with Friends. My phone froze thanks to that app (not that shocking because it happens periodically). But then, when I reset it, something very weird happened... When I was about to be brought back to my home screen, I got a message at the top of the display that said there was an error with the SD card and that it wasn't being recognized. :eck: However, I don't believe there's any real issue because I'm still perfectly able to access my photos and music, which are all on the SD card.

This is something brand new that I've never seen until Friday night. Has anyone else experienced this?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've had that happen with other phones, after about the 5th or 6th time it happened the SD card went bad and erased everything.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm with palandri. I had same problem with off brand SD card that came with a phone. It died couple of weeks later. I had everything backed up, but had to replace card.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
A couple of years ago there was a professional photographers site that did real intensive testing of memory card, write speed, read speed, number of rewrites, ...etc. They found a lot of memory cards that did meet the specifications they advertised. Professional photographers need good, fast, reliable memory cards due to the number of photos they take. I always thought SanDisk made the best memory cards, but that site rated Lexar as the best memory cards.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So, on Friday night I was out with my boyfriend, and on the way back to his house, I tried playing some Words with Friends. My phone froze thanks to that app (not that shocking because it happens periodically). But then, when I reset it, something very weird happened... When I was about to be brought back to my home screen, I got a message at the top of the display that said there was an error with the SD card and that it wasn't being recognized. :eck: However, I don't believe there's any real issue because I'm still perfectly able to access my photos and music, which are all on the SD card.
This is something brand new that I've never seen until Friday night. Has anyone else experienced this?

My replacement phone is doing the same thing, I think it has something to do with Skydrive when a file doesn't properly upload to the server. If there is a broken file you will get that error. I'm also in the process of re formatting this card to NTFS since I put a lot of HD TV recordings on the card why chance the limitations of fat32. As of now I'm shutting down uploads to Sky drive and just store everything on the card. To many times have my 1080p vids been rejected on the upload and causing corruption to the SD as I mentioned it's just to iffy for video uploads.

Edit: It doesn't read NTFS file system I let the phone do the formatting and it uses HFS :shocked: So it's either fat32 or HFS...

Last edited:

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I had to get a replacement 810, and my 64GB card wasn't recognized in the new phone....luckily the card was new and nothing on it and BestBuy replaced it.
Sent from my Nokia L810 using Board Express

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I also had this problem on my 810. It would give me that message every time the phone was restarted. I put the card in my surface and it prompted me to fix the drive. No problems since.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have had the same problem as well. Only with my crappy, off-brand microSD card (Wintec I think). When I put in a decent card, haven't had the issue. Can really understand now why phone manufacturers are wary of adding a microSD card slot.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Edit: It doesn't read NTFS file system I let the phone do the formatting and it uses HFS :shocked: So it's either fat32 or HFS...
FYI:
SD cards are either formatted as FAT32 or exFAT, depending on it's capacity ;)

Back to OP, I would take the SD card out, and take it to a computer and run a chkdsk on it. Let the PC fix any errors, then put it back in the phone.

Just like any PC, an unscheduled reboot my cause filesystem errors on the HD, hence the chkdsk on reboot. For some reason the phone doesn't, or isn't capable, of doing a chkdsk on the SD card.

MJJOConnor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem and this is what caused it. The MicroSD cards are by default format in FAT format. This limits the file length that can be recognized. So when you take a panoramic picture, it has a super long name. When the phone boots up it sees what looks like a corrupt file name and gives that message. This was also messing with my music files too. How I found this out was I put the MicroSD card into my computer and ran a CHKDSK and it told me about the malformed file length of the panoramic picture files.

How to fix: I copied all the content off my MicroSD and then formatted to FAT32 (The phone doesn't recognize NTFS). I then copied all the files back and worked ever since.

Hope this helps.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I also had this problem on my 810. It would give me that message every time the phone was restarted. I put the card in my surface and it prompted me to fix the drive. No problems since.

Hmm... I don't have a Surface, just a Sony Vaio that runs on Windows 7. Would you happen to know if I could fix the drive of my SD card if I pop it into that directly?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Update: I put my SD card into its adapter and popped it into my laptop this morning to scan it. It fixed some errors and I didn't get that message when I put it back into my phone. Thanks again for the advice, everyone! :grin:

JKjeeper

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are getting "SD CARD PROBLEM" errors you can follow these simple steps to fix the issue which is caused by some activity on the SD card when battery is removed and/or reset, or battery removal without properly shut down.

1) Insert Memory card to PC
2) execute scandisk
3) put your Memory card back on the phone
4) turn it on, (problem solved)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar