Victim of ebay + stolen property

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
So I purchased a brand new L810 few days ago on eBay and it arrived today via usps priority. I went to tmobile store and got a micro sim card. Activated it and inserted it. I received a no-service icon on the top left. Called tmob and after about 20 mins of troubleshooting they rep asked where I purchased the device and I told him eBay. He said the Imei# is blocked as the device was marked stolen. It appears it was stolen from a tmob store by a store employee from what I gathered. At any rate, I emailed the seller as he indicated that refund is an option on the original post. That was 4 hours ago and he is yet to respond.

The downside is I've to file a complaint with eBay/ paypal to get back my $400. In the mean time, tmob was unable to reactivate my old regular sim card so I had to drive back to the store to get another reg. sim to use with my old phone (hd7). As it stands, I doubt the seller will respond as I have a gut feeling he Robert A. Palati in Arizona knew what he was doing. I also think he's going to close his seller acct although he has had it open since 1999. Thing is I've to try to resolve the issue with the seller (at least make some efforts) b4 filing a complaint with eBay / PayPal. The purchase is covered for sure but I'm unsure how long it takes for eBay/PayPal to investigate and process a refund for situations like this. Another strange thing is b4 I purchased the item, I had emailed him to ask about shipping and his name appeared as Ian. On the pig, it is Robert Palati.

has anyone here had this kind of experience? It hurts to think people still do things like this on eBay.

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My experience with eBay/Paypal in a similar matter was positive. I can't remember exactly how long they took to refund my money, but it wasn't excessive. Rest assured you'll get your money back within a reasonable period of time.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My experience with eBay/Paypal in a similar matter was positive. I can't remember exactly how long they took to refund my money, but it wasn't excessive. Rest assured you'll get your money back within a reasonable period of time.

Same here.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What was the Sellers' feedback rating? If it was anything in the 99% he might not have known. Most high sale count and big time "good" sellers wouldn't risk their accounts on sale of a stolen item.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't use ebay or paypal anymore unless I absolutely have to. Fortunately I have not had to at all recently. Ebay, and more so, PayPal are just terrible. I don't trust my money going through either party.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
eBay and PayPal are good at getting your money back, and it's even better if you use American Express through PayPal.

scrannel

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
eBay and PayPal are good at getting your money back, and it's even better if you use American Express through PayPal.

Right but Paypal has a transaction cut-off with a credit card. I simply tell sellers: I have the money, if you insist on Paypal, you don't get it. 99% of the time they will make an "exception."

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I got the refund back from the seller after I activated a refund process on eBay and returned the phone. Now if I can find a way to buy a Lumia 920 from Rogers...I'll be golden. Kind of doomed since I don't know anyone there and Craigslist isn't an option for me or I'd have to drive to Montr?al or something. Sort of glad the Imei# thing happened as after removing the tmob apps and few other Nokia apps I didn't like, I ended with up 5.08gb but not sure its enough for future app installs and os updates. I had already bought a case and a 32gb card. Not sure what to do with case for now tho. The card I'll use for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99