Any Portico Issues?

NocTurnerV

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Meaning you need to run down the battery (preferably to self shutdown) and then recharge, at least once. After you should see a nice improvement in battery longevity.

I can vouch that this worked for me. Once I let it run down to the point where it shut itself off, the battery life seems to be back to normal. Its definitely worth a try for those having issues!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
On what information is this based? Official MS or Nokia recommendation?
Experience.

Also, practically every manufacturer of things that use Lithium batteries, recommend that you charge cycle a couple of times when you get a new device, so it can "calibrate" it's battery meter. Well, when you do a major update like Portico, you tend to loose the calibration information for some reason (lazy programmers?) so it's good to do a charge cycle.

With my 810 after the update the battery meter was saying I could barely get 12 hours off a charge. Previously I would say I could get just over 24 hours off a single charge (I use my phone a lot during the day). I decided it was time to do a charge cycle. i made sure the phone had a full charge, I then turned on every feature I could (Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi during lock, long timeout for lock screen, etc.), turned off the "Battery Saver". Then I queued up all my songs, plugged in some cheap headphones and cranked up the volume to 30 (without wearing them), and surfed the net till the phone powered down (it took awhile, but it powered down right before I went to bed luckily). Proceeded to charge the phone overnight.

In the morning, I went through and changed my settings back to what I had before, Bluetooth off (I don't have any other Bluetooth devices), NFC off (don't know anyone else with a NFC phone, nor do I have any NFC tags), WiFi off during lock (I have unlimited cellular data, so no big deal), lock screen timeout back to 1 minute. Things are back to being better than before. The phone now says I could get around 36 hours of use before a charge is required. Last night when I went to bed it said I still had 65% charge left (it's never been that good) before I plugged it in.

So try it, it only costs time to do it.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Experience.

Also, practically every manufacturer of things that use Lithium batteries, recommend that you charge cycle a couple of times when you get a new device, so it can "calibrate" it's battery meter. Well, when you do a major update like Portico, you tend to loose the calibration information for some reason (lazy programmers?) so it's good to do a charge cycle.

With my 810 after the update the battery meter was saying I could barely get 12 hours off a charge. Previously I would say I could get just over 24 hours off a single charge (I use my phone a lot during the day). I decided it was time to do a charge cycle. i made sure the phone had a full charge, I then turned on every feature I could (Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi during lock, long timeout for lock screen, etc.), turned off the "Battery Saver". Then I queued up all my songs, plugged in some cheap headphones and cranked up the volume to 30 (without wearing them), and surfed the net till the phone powered down (it took awhile, but it powered down right before I went to bed luckily). Proceeded to charge the phone overnight.

In the morning, I went through and changed my settings back to what I had before, Bluetooth off (I don't have any other Bluetooth devices), NFC off (don't know anyone else with a NFC phone, nor do I have any NFC tags), WiFi off during lock (I have unlimited cellular data, so no big deal), lock screen timeout back to 1 minute. Things are back to being better than before. The phone now says I could get around 36 hours of use before a charge is required. Last night when I went to bed it said I still had 65% charge left (it's never been that good) before I plugged it in.

So try it, it only costs time to do it.

very good. Thanks for this

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Experience.

i made sure the phone had a full charge, I then turned on every feature I could...
FYI: there's at least one app in the marketplace designed to drain your battery for things just like this... And it's supposed to drain it very quickly, so no turning on everything and just waiting.

mky4b11

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
i've power cycled my phone about 3-4 times already, did a soft reset, and the screen brightness calibration as well. and am still seeing pretty drastic battery use compared to before the update. i used to be able to get 20-24 hour use with wifi on, and normal weave browsing, taking a few pics, and occasional 2 minute phone calls.

yesterday, after power cycling it once more, i decided i would i barely touch/use my phone and see what kind of life i get. fully charged at 10am, and it died at 3am while i was asleep. according to the battery graph, it only stayed on in standby mind you, for 17~ hours. whereas before, i could go to bed with 40~ percent at 11pm, and wake up with 30~ percent at 8am. now if i try that, my phone will die. will try a hard reset now, even though i barely got the phone configured to my liking after so many weeks with it lol.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Portico only seemed to stop my random reboots. Battery life was neither better or worse post update. I haven't had any issues after a factory reset and manually flash Portico. Battery life now is better than ever and I'm actually able to use the phone and have my notifications on. I still get nowhere near what some people have listed but I make it thru the entire day on one charge with my usage. I don't know what's been suggested yet. Might try uninstalling and reinstalling your apps. Might be a bad process somewhere. Short of that, factory reset and then return if necessary. It has to be a process hang. Whether in an app or OS is anybody's guess.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Screen issue is pretty silly. Doing the "calibrations" does nothing. I'm not running into a dark room each time I need to restart the phone. I'm not Garrus, and I do no like "calibrations" in my free time.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually i have turned off xbox sync, uninstalled nokia music, and reinstalled skype and whatsapp and now my battery seems to work better...after the portico update..

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Powered down my battery til it depleted twice because the first time, it seemed to be worse than before. Now i'm definitely getting more battery life.
Here's a question; with this whole switch to outlook from gmail craze going on, i'm thinking of taking the plunge. Yes, I will have to do a hard reset to log in with new ID if i do. Will portico show up as an update automatically, recognizing that it is not on my phone? Or do updates roll out in regions and thus, if i got it earlier, it won't show up anymore?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I will have to do a hard reset to log in with new ID if i do. Will portico show up as an update automatically, recognizing that it is not on my phone? Or do updates roll out in regions and thus, if i got it earlier, it won't show up anymore?
After installing Portico, it is flashed to your device and there is no way of undoing it. Even after a hard reset. No worries.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Will portico show up as an update automatically, recognizing that it is not on my phone? Or do updates roll out in regions and thus, if i got it earlier, it won't show up anymore?

After installing Portico, it is flashed to your device and there is no way of undoing it. Even after a hard reset. No worries.

Correct, AND you will notice that the hard reset goes faster than previously. I've already tried it, btw

The two "gotchas" that still linger is MS still doesn't backup/restore the layout of your start screen, and the Nokia exclusive apps/updates still hang at the auto download after the reset. You'll have to cancel the downloads that error out, then you can go into the store and select "Nokia collection", then tap each app you have and then select update if you are in a hurry.

But the Nokia OS feature updates, you have to wait around for them to show up as app updates in the app store. Or find all the direct links here on WPCentral for each of them.

mky4b11

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Just an update. After a few days of power cycling, I am getting great life again. Broke my old record uptime of 21 hrs, got 25 hours last night. Sweet.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is necessarily related to portico bc I've only noticed it within the last few days but has anyone else noticed the touch responsiveness a bit laggy? Not jerky bc it's still smooth but on the start screen it seems to take a bit more than I recall to scroll. Maybe not so much of a lag but a delay (I suppose that's the same thing)

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I've not had an issue with battery life at all. If anything it has been drastically improved even though I had no issues with it in the first place.

What I have noticed, however, is a lagginess when changing songs in the music hub. I will click on an album or song title and there is a noticeable lag between the touch and the response. Its also manifested itself randomly while typing. Ill get about 8-10 characters typed and then the OS plays catchup and they pop in really quickly. This was never present prior to the Verizon Portico update. It hasn't occurred at all during this post so I can't really say how often it occurs. Very intermittent.

EDIT: Mr. Tofu, I didn't read your post before chiming in. I've had the same issue as you can see.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills