Quality Control Issues

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity. I've already had two phones replaced and now am looking at replacing my third. Is anyone else experiencing a sad rash of quality control issues, or do I happen to be the unluckiest Nokia owner around?

My first two phones I had replaced due a screen issue that looked like an led had burned out. Now my current phone's headphone jack appears to be on the fritz. Beyond going through the warranty process I've been wondering. Is anyone else having bad luck with their 810s? Just to speculate. IF this is a trend. Could this be attributed to the fact that Nokia has 3 different models for the 8xx line? While I do find T-Mobile and WP8 to serve me well... the weakest link here is, sadly enough, Nokia.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My quality control issues seem to be solely the battery... I've exchanged my 810 three times already. Then again, maybe that's not a quality control issue - how can they test the battery? I've felt pretty dang unlucky though :/ This latest 810 seems to be doing really well though in the battery dept so I think I'm done exchanging. Finally :)

My "guess" for your issue is a really bad batch of phones delivered to the store you got it from. A friend of mine had pretty crappy quality issues with her HD7 when it first came out and returned it three or four times... not realizing that she could actually return the phone to any T-Mobile store. She actually felt that the reps at that store purposely did something to their HD7 shipment because they were hardcore trying to talk her out if it and kept going on and on about how crappy they were and how everyone returned their WPs :p Meanwhile, she talked her whole family into buying HD7's and they never had one problem - they bought from different stores than her.

Maybe you could try returning to a different T-Mobile store and see what happens? I think you have to deal with corporate stores and not dealers though.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
At this point my 14 day exchange period is up. I think I'll wait a few months and wait for Nokia to fix their build issues. This doesn't appear to be a specific thing. It looks like the 920 is having a few issues as well. I'll get a full out warranty exchange later. On the plus side TMO has been rather helpful to me in these phone replacements.

jodahav

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't add much to the thread, but have had my 810 for two months and no problems. Battery is fine. One hard reset when it froze in an app (Risk of all things). I do have the occasional day in which my battery drains very fast. When I notice this, I just shut down and restart... seems to fix it. A lot of days I can stream ESPN radio all morning and still be in the 80s battery life.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I do think there were some quality control issues, at least initially. My wife and I upgraded soon after the 810's were releases. Had to return one bc the screen was weird. One half of the screen was a bit darker than the other. Now I see my screen has these weird splotches behind the glass. When I have the clock app come up on my wireless charging nightstand, and most of the screen is dark, u see these weird streaks and splotches. I've had the phone since late November, can I exchange it with the warranty? Art of me is afraid to bc I don't know what kind of handset I'll get in its place. Don't want to trade down.
But yeah, I think initially there were some quality control issues...

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Now I see my screen has these weird splotches behind the glass. When I have the clock app come up on my wireless charging nightstand, and most of the screen is dark, u see these weird streaks and splotches.

You have no idea how happy this makes me. While this is unfortunate, I'm kinda glad I wasn't the only one to experience this issue. I'm going to wait a few months before exchanging my phone under warranty. (Stupid headphone jack is messed up.) They should get rid of the bad Nokia stocks, and get the manufacturing issues sorted out. One thing I can say though is that I've never had a battery issue.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Haha! Glad to bring a smile to ur face! But just be aware that u might have to send ur phone to Nokia care first (or whatever their repair center is called). I got in touch with Nokia care and they said they would try to repair it first and if it was irreparable, then they'd send me a replacement. But the turn around is 7-10 days. I can't wait that long. Need it for work, life, etc. Haven't tried T-Mobile yet. But I don't want to get a bum handset in exchange so I think I'll jus t stick it out. I'm trying to view it as an idiosyncrasy that adds character to my phone. Or something like that...

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Without a doubt I feel very very unintelligent right now. I have manged to fix my headphone jack issue finally. For some odd reason I never considered the headphones to be the issue. In this case they are. So while the screen splotch issue baffled me... I am damn happy to report the rest of the phone seems solid. At least for now.

Now that I have been using the phone without headphones... I find the actual bottom speaker to be of weak quality. Sounds a bit hissy. Usable, but nothing to amazing.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a single splotch on my screen. It is only noticeable on white background. I doubt I'll raise the issue with Nokia because it isn't severe.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Interesting how this splotch thing wasn't just me. I've got splotches and smears but really isn't noticeable until the screen is really dark in a really dark setting. I'll be sure to check for a lot of things when 2years are up and its time for an upgrade.
And yes, the speakers are nothing to rave about. Actually it should be speaker, since upon taking the back cover off, its really only one...

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The issue of my splotch became very annoying after a point. The idea of looking at that horrid thing for 2 years was too much for me. I had to drag the salesperson to a back room to prove my screen was borked. He eventually saw the "light" so to speak.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)