Lumia 810 - can you change default search provider?

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I am just used to google and howit works. I actually hate google and use none of their products except search, which after 13 years of use, I am kinda stuck my in ways. I've tried Bing but I just seem to have a harder time finding the stuff I really want.

Now, I just received my Lumia 810, but one thing I totally didn't anticipate was NOT having the option in IE to change the default search provider. Is there some kind of app that will let me change it to google? Kinda like the Nokia Access Point app gets around the fact that t-mobile locks out apn modifications? I tried a search but didn't find anything.

Thanks!!

Greall55

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
re:

I am just used to google and howit works. I actually hate google and use none of their products except search, which after 13 years of use, I am kinda stuck my in ways. I've tried Bing but I just seem to have a harder time finding the stuff I really want.

Now, I just received my Lumia 810, but one thing I totally didn't anticipate was NOT having the option in IE to change the default search provider. Is there some kind of app that will let me change it to google? Kinda like the Nokia Access Point app gets around the fact that t-mobile locks out apn modifications? I tried a search but didn't find anything.

Thanks!!

juz go to setting in IE

Screen Capture (7).jpg

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
re:

I don't know where you got that image but I'm pretty sure there's not a single WP8 phone out there that can do the above...

I.E. my 810 doesn't have that option at all. Last time this came up, everyone (on their phones) didn't have that option either

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

ive looked as well nothing there

go to Settings and you'll see system illuminated, on the right you'll see applications dimmed ( my 810 on TM) swipe left to applications
and you'll see Internet Explorer in the menu -4th from the top OPEN Internet Explorer and go to advanced settings (tap) then scroll down beyond accept all
and you see above the 3rd bar default search provider and BING (tap) and you see Bing and Google no Yahoo tho.

Kaggz

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
re:

As another reader pointed out - the Amber update (there's a post about how to install it unofficially), enables that option. Before then, I didn't have that option of changing search providers in Windows Phone 8 either until I performed my update. I should also point out that Windows Phone 7 had this option to begin with (it's there on my HD7) - we lost it with the first release of Windows Phone 8.
NOTE: This doesn't change the behavior of 'Search' using the hardware search key on the bottom right - that one always gives you bing results, it just changes the behavior of searching by typing search terms on the "address bar" once you have already brought up the IE browser.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786