Root Access WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: root access?

Why do you say, "thankfully no root?" Just curious! You say that as though there is some burden it puts on you when a device is rooted...LOL!

The one issue is that if it can be rooted, malicious code can be installed. Some of us are tired of having to deal with unsecured stuff.

But there is the other side of being freed to explore and tweak a way. If you like sort of thing, sadly WP is not for you (at this time). iOS and especially Android is the platform for this type of freedom.

Thomas Denton1

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm with you. The WP OS is way to closed, way too locked down. And its true, I could do alot more with Windows Mobile a few years ago than I can with WP.

And I find the excuses of being very secure and not wanting to be open to viruses to be weak and lame. If you have a Windows PC, that is open, should your PC be as locked down and limited as WP? If you are smart, use common sense, etc you don't need to worry about viruses.

Its annoying there is no file manager, I can only download a few types of files from email and browser. I'm limited to one keyboard, one real true browser, one main SMS app, etc. They should open up the OS more and let devs give us more options and features.

I totally agree. And in all honesty, having root access is nice to get rid of bloatware. This isn't necessarily to speed it up in my case, but to free up storage space. You can't utilize any computing device at its full potential if you have limitations. The fact is, the simplicity pro does not outweigh the con of dumbing down a powerful machine. Being limited to one OS and blocking out options for dual booting frustrates me. My mac and my two PCs all have multiple OS platforms on them. my windows phone has better specs on it than my vaio, yet I'm limited to less functional software. Just saying, you don't have to deny the people who purchased your phones the option of optimizing their system to their own needs.

salim sayyed

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Why do you need it rooted? For Android people do that because it runs like sh*t with all the heavy firmwares made by Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola etc. and that's why they use custom firmware to make the smartphone run a little more smoother. And on iPhone only those who don't want to buy apps jailbrake their phone.
I don't see any reason to do the same on WP8, maybe only just for fun but you gain nothing in return.

salim sayyed

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Wp 8 izs not good os cant able to play multi format of videos , cant backup game files every you install you need to download again from net, most of the apps not available

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello all. I am new to windows phone. Have always used either android or iPhone. My androids were always rooted & modded, and my iPhones were always jailbroken & modded.
Is there such a thing on WP? I have spent hours on google & Bing and haven't found anything except something about a wp7 root toolkit, which obviously won't help me since I'm on wp8.
this phone has so much potential, Microsoft has it locked up too tightly.

thanks in advance for your answers/input

There is no such thing on WP. Microsoft already gave us options to pay apps Via phone bill/credit. Then our OS isn't loaded by bloatware from OEM (they can't do that) so I don't see any reason to hack our devices.

Still ms offer official way to deploy unsigned, uncertified apps. By creating developer account (like you do with preview for developer) you can download Visual Studio 2013. That gave you option to developer unlock your devices (1 devices for free 3 for 99/y or student) + deploy any apps to your phone (max 3 apps)

Benjamin Doddington

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phones can be easily unlocked to download paid apps+games for free (windowsphonehub.in for lots more about this), Windows Phone Power Tools can be used to view Isolated Storage and deploy .xap, Windows Phone Application Deployment can be used to deploy .appx and .appxbundle. WP7 can be rooted with WP7 Root Tools, WP8 is working on a root, with an sd card inserted and with pocket file manager (app store) view private system files and edit them. I recommend windowsphonehub.in for all of this.

joey crofts

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Root, on android is not because they run bad. The performance of an android typically far surpasses that of an iPhone or a Windows phone. I root my android phones for hacking purposes, and ROOT access purposes, as do most people who root.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss