Any way to enable LTE on 810?

ezrunner

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
as long as it has the proper radios built in then should be able to with a software update. im not sure if it has the proper radios though

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, LTE goes up for T-mobile in 7 cities on Tuesday. I'm guessing the update should come out soon after. I check tmonews.com for that.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
lol Yeah, we're at T-Mobile's mercy but T-Mobile did say that it would enable LTE via update. Maybe it'll come packaged with the next Windows Phone update or it might be a standalone update. Hopefully we find out tomorrow with their LTE launch.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, this goes against everything we've heard so far. I emailed John Legere about this issue. He got me in touch with the right person. Here is his reply:

"I?m following up as per my note last night. Unfortunately, the Nokia Lumia 810 is not upgradable to LTE. While it is true that it has a chipset that is LTE-capable in certain circumstances, the variant that was used in this device can?t be enabled for LTE.

The good news is that we have a number of excellent LTE devices coming for a variety of OSes so keep checking our website for announcements.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You know, from what I've been able to discern with LTE, it tends to suck battery life out of most phones. So... maybe it's a good thing that the 810 won't do LTE :wink:

dexi

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
According to THIS news Nokia 810 will not get an update which would enable LTE. On the other hand the author of the news gives us a light of hope by saying that people over there were almost never right. Oh well, 3G is sufficient for me so far.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
According to THIS news Nokia 810 will not get an update which would enable LTE.
Thanks to jgbstetson, who found this out a few posts up and tipped Daniel for the story ;)

The good news is that we have a number of excellent LTE devices coming for a variety of OSes so keep checking our website for announcements.
Sorry T-Mobile CEO, but the only way this is GOOD news is if one of those "variety of OSes" is Windows Phone, and it looks like you've hit every platform (iPhone, BB, Android) but the one asked about. Unless he's providing a vague hint... one can only hope.

I'm slightly disappointed, but only because I put way too much faith in a rumor [my fault]. I still like my 810 :)

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to jgbstetson, who found this out a few posts up and tipped Daniel for the story ;)

Sorry T-Mobile CEO, but the only way this is GOOD news is if one of those "variety of OSes" is Windows Phone, and it looks like you've hit every platform (iPhone, BB, Android) but the one asked about. Unless he's providing a vague hint... one can only hope.

I'm slightly disappointed, but only because I put way too much faith in a rumor [my fault]. I still like my 810 :)

I don't know why, but the more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. Not so much that it's not coming, but the BS marketing response they've given along with this news to other tech sites. From Tmonews: "T-Mobile is committed to enhancing customers? experience with our devices, including providing upgrades to device features and operating systems, and T-Mobile aims to deliver software upgrades when it will provide a better experience for our customers."

Really, you're committed, except when you aren't. Also, the story varies slightly. From the response David received, it sounds like they can do it, but have no plans to: "While the Nokia Lumia 810 features a chipset, which provides the hardware capability to support both HSPA+42 and LTE, the device will not automatically access our LTE network and, at this time, it will not receive an update to do so"

So the senior director says it can't, this person says it can, but we won't. Who the **** is in charge here?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I think it's all about what is bringing in the money... and yeah it's a business, but they're really only committed to devices already proven to bring in customers... not necessarily all the devices they bring to market, no matter how recent. They're providing the update to enable LTE on unlocked iPhones which T-Mobile never even sold! That says it all to me right there.

I don't see how it would be so bad for them to enable the LTE update for the 810 (if indeed possible) so they could actually say they have an LTE device for every smartphone operating system in their portfolio, for maximum customer choice. Now I'm actually starting to doubt the news that T-Mobile was legitimately excited about Windows Phone and was happy with the sales they've seen from it so far... particularly because of what you just brought up, jgbstetson. An official statement would be nice, or at the very least a re-imagined Lumia 810 with LTE (alongside some new WP8 with LTE... dreaming here)

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is a business. And I imagine they will focus their efforts on the iPhone for the foreseeable future. Maybe summertime will bring us new Lumia hardware we're dreaming of. If it doesn't, I'll start emailing executives and complaining loudly again :)

Miscellaneous Rant

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it's all about what is bringing in the money... and yeah it's a business, but they're really only committed to devices already proven to bring in customers... not necessarily all the devices they bring to market, no matter how recent. They're providing the update to enable LTE on unlocked iPhones which T-Mobile never even sold! That says it all to me right there.

I don't see how it would be so bad for them to enable the LTE update for the 810 (if indeed possible) so they could actually say they have an LTE device for every smartphone operating system in their portfolio, for maximum customer choice. Now I'm actually starting to doubt the news that T-Mobile was legitimately excited about Windows Phone and was happy with the sales they've seen from it so far... particularly because of what you just brought up, jgbstetson. An official statement would be nice, or at the very least a re-imagined Lumia 810 with LTE (alongside some new WP8 with LTE... dreaming here)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss