Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I almost feel like I should have either picked the 8X or chugged along with my Galaxy Nexus and gotten an unlocked 920. This is the one thing that I jumped to WP8 for...MSFT handling updates more directly. If they throw the 810 to the boneyards, I'm not so sure if I want to stay on the platform.

I won't. It's not worth it. I was a first week adaptor. I bought it outright for 500. To have a something worth that much that I purchased with the understanding their would be updates, well, that's a lot of money. I deserve more. We all do.

I would expect Nokia or Microsoft to step up and get us the update.

I don't trust T Mobile. All the phone companies are scum and they simply don't care about their customers. We're something to bleed. That's it

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't trust T Mobile. All the phone companies are scum and they simply don't care about their customers. We're something to bleed. That's it

^ This. Someone posted a comment on WPCENTRAL this week that was funny yet sadly true: T-Mobile got hooked into the Apple breast and was too busy feeding to remember anything else.

I was almost a first week adopter. I actually thought about returning my 810 a few times too during the 2 week grace period. But it grew on me and I kept it. I'm satisfied with the phone itself. It was the first phone I bought OEM accessories for in the past few years, and I've changed phones alot too.
I still will keep my 810 after all. I've seen the quick EOL hook too, with my fav WP7 phone - Samsung Focus S. Both the 810 and Focus S are alike - solid, workmanlike, great performers. I didn't buy it for what it could do in the future but as a sign of belief in WP8 that I didn't have to fight as hard as I did with the Focus S for updates that MSFT said they would honor during the phone's life cycle. If MSFT screws us 810 owners over, that's it for me.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Can MSFT bypass tmo and send us updates directly? What about the Nokia updates like storage check. Can Nokia push those directly or are they at the mercy of tmo? Yeah, if support for the 810 dries up, I am considering leaving the platform as well. It's just getting the middle child treatment and in the end, its the consumers who get shorted. Not only that, I'll be done with tmo. I've defended them and supported them and all we get is a big "I'm sorry, who are you?" No thanks.

mky4b11

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Can MSFT bypass tmo and send us updates directly? What about the Nokia updates like storage check. Can Nokia push those directly or are they at the mercy of tmo? Yeah, if support for the 810 dries up, I am considering leaving the platform as well. It's just getting the middle child treatment and in the end, its the consumers who get shorted. Not only that, I'll be done with tmo. I've defended them and supported them and all we get is a big "I'm sorry, who are you?" No thanks.

I been feeling the same. the 810 being eol'd makes me look forward to the catwalk or whatever. But at same time, I just barely had my 810 5-6 months and feel abandoned. Although I have grown to love the phone, I wouldn't mind going back to my android days of custom roms and being able to provide support yourself if you needed to as far as updates went. I do not miss the random crashes and horrid battery life though.
I can only hope nokia/msft will keep supporting our phones.

/rant

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Out of frustration i actually bought a new rogers 920 for 320 bucks, atleast i am assuming i will get better treatment. I am still keeping the 810 before i pass it on to my dad (he has the focus and a lumia 900).

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure we'll be able to force firmware updates on our phones as time goes by. All I know is I'll be buying unlocked phones in the future. TMO really was to fast in dropping this hot potato.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've only owned Microsoft phones since my first, the Treo 700WX..then the HTC Touch, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro2, HTC HD2, HTC HD7, and now the Nokia Lumia 810....regardless of the carrier, Microsoft has abandoned these phones as well...I'm looking at these phones as I type, I think I've shown loyalty to the platform long enough and all I have are a bunch of phones that still would be great with the proper support...loyalty only goes so far before you start to feel foolish, Microsoft has a very bad habit of starting something but not fixing it and just moving on to something else that they will drop support on. My morning rant.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure we'll be able to force firmware updates on our phones as time goes by. All I know is I'll be buying unlocked phones in the future. TMO really was to fast in dropping this hot potato.
IMO, they can easily force firmware update, but if you ask them, official statement would be 'Carrier has to approve it'... doesn't make sense if carrier is not at all interested... better make it carrier independent in that case with firmware update...!!!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I think since the carrier has already eol'ed the phone they won't support updates, hence ms/nokia would be free to bypass them and push updates as needed. I hope this happens, in that case we will actually be saved from delayed updates :D

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
This is what really annoys me, I've been tweeting all of them, Nokia and T-Mobile said "hang tight, a fix is coming!"...then EOL the phone instead...I'm actually speechless.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is what really annoys me, I've been tweeting all of them, Nokia and T-Mobile said "hang tight, a fix is coming!"...then EOL the phone instead...I'm actually speechless.
TMO told me that they have no plans. Nokia Care said they have no details for now, but hold on.

al DERY

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
i really pains me to say this but if they cant simply provide firmware updates than the phones become useless and it hasnt even been out that long what really stinks is that because of this you either keep buying the new phones when they come out or get an iphone when you know there will always be updates or a google phone which also gets updated.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft promised 18 months of support on their new WP8 devices. This was a carrier-independent promise. Now we all get the chance to actually call them on this... and they better not be bluffing!

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
i really pains me to say this but if they cant simply provide firmware updates than the phones become useless and it hasnt even been out that long what really stinks is that because of this you either keep buying the new phones when they come out or get an iphone when you know there will always be updates or a google phone which also gets updated.

Android is not updated like iPhone. It's a very fractured platform

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Android is not updated like iPhone. It's a very fractured platform

Apple = ONE iPhone. Android OEMs = More than One Phone, with OEMs having more leeway for updates. WP8 = standard hardware for 1 OS. This means in theory better OS updates. Well, my 810 got EOL'ed so we get to test this theory out.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Of course now you can't download paid apps because the marketplace is having problems...now I pretty much have a blank phone...gotta love Microsoft....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)