NFC Wallet Payments - Why Not?

Sario27

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty new to the NFC world as this is my first phone with it, but I don't understand how our Lumia 810 can have an NFC chip and not allow payments. Is this a hardware issue, or just more firmware problems for our poor Lumia 810?

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
This is a VERY GOOD question. I have the same problems with my 920.
People tell me the provider has to support it. its the same **** as with data sense.
MS didnt learn. As soon as the provider is allowed to interfere - they will and cause the customer a pain in the backside!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I was just researching this. From Microsoft: Wallet FAQ
Credit or debit cards – Purchase apps and games in the Windows Phone Store, or simply keep track of your card account info. And if your service provider and phone support it, you can even set up credit or debit cards to make NFC purchases in stores. (This requires a special, secure SIM card.)

Now, the question is Does T-mobile have a "Secure SIM card"? I'm still researching.

More info:
Why can't I make NFC transactions with my phone?
While every Windows Phone 8 has a Wallet Hub, not all support NFC transactions. The easiest way to check and see if your phone supports NFC transactions is to go to your Wallet settings. In Wallet, tap More
basic-icon-ellipses.png
, and then tap Settings+PIN. If you don't see an option to turn on "NFC transactions," then your phone doesn't support it.
At the moment, only a small number of mobile operators offer phones that support this feature. However, we're working hard to get additional mobile operators on board, and we expect the number of Windows Phones that support NFC transactions to grow.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, more digging.

Most of the mobile carriers (Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile) created ISIS Wallet. BUT, it is still in it's infancy. You have to have a special secure SIM (and possibly a "Secure NFC/SIM" which has it's own NFC on the SIM card, but not the NFC already in most WP8 devices, maybe. Still not sure about this), and also live in either Salt Lake City, Utah or Austin, Texas. They are the test locations right now.

And supposedly, Windows Phone 8 Wallet is ISIS compatible.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
It is. The problem here is Rogers doesn't support it. Rogers worked with CIBC to make mobile payments available through NFC on sh*tberries... I mean blackberries, but no other bank or carrier supports it in Canada.

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
It is. The problem here is Rogers doesn't support it. Rogers worked with CIBC to make mobile payments available through NFC on sh*tberries... I mean blackberries, but no other bank or carrier supports it in Canada.

I just picked up a Rogers SureTap SIM card (it's supposed to be a "Secure SIM") for my Lumia 1020 hoping it would enable the NFC Transactions option inside of the Wallet app. I just activated the SIM card, and unfortunately there is no option available inside of the wallet to enable "NFC Transactions". I'm sad :(

Last edited:

CalEvansGuy

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up a Rogers SureTap SIM card (it's supposed to be a "Secure SIM") for my Lumia 1020 hoping it would enable the NFC Transactions option inside of the Wallet app. I just activated the SIM card, and unfortunately there is no option available inside of the wallet to enable "NFC Transactions". I'm sad :(

I was thinking of doing the same thing with my Lumia 920. Thanks for the feedback. I've researched this NFC payment thing for that past few days and I'm discovering that even if you have the correct SIM card, you'll still need the mobile payment app to make purchases. Unfortunately, there is still no word on when exactly any of the big 5 banks plan to release a mobile payment app for Windows Phone 8.

Entegy

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Reviving this. I just went out and got a Virgin Mobile Canada NFC SIM card for my Rogers Lumia 920. I have the tap-to-pay option in Settings>NFC. But I would still need an app to complete transactions? Payment options in the Wallet aren't good enough?

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Reviving this. I just went out and got a Virgin Mobile Canada NFC SIM card for my Rogers Lumia 920. I have the tap-to-pay option in Settings>NFC. But I would still need an app to complete transactions? Payment options in the Wallet aren't good enough?

This is what I can't figure out. I don't know if AT&T supports it, but assume I get a secure SIM from them. I also enable tap-to-pay in the NFC settings page (on WP 8.1). So now what? Can I use it...and if so, where, exactly? This is all very mysterious.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
On American carriers, Mobile Wallet will not work for tap to pay. Microsoft caved on this. The american carriers did not want to have people paying with thier phones unless they got part of the transaction fee. So they came up with ISIS so they could get their cut, and disallowed the use of Google Pay or Mobile Wallet. The exception is Apple, that has the b***s to stand up to the carriers and insist that the OS and phones work the way Apple wants them to instead of crippling it as the carriers want.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
ISIS wallet? so we're supporting terrorists -time for a name change.

Yes, this ISIS is the real terrorist group!

On American carriers, Mobile Wallet will not work for tap to pay. Microsoft caved on this. The american carriers did not want to have people paying with thier phones unless they got part of the transaction fee. So they came up with ISIS so they could get their cut, and disallowed the use of Google Pay or Mobile Wallet. The exception is Apple, that has the b***s to stand up to the carriers and insist that the OS and phones work the way Apple wants them to instead of crippling it as the carriers want.

Google did a year ago what Apple is doing. You can use Google Wallet tap to pay on almost all NFC equipped Android phones with KitKat, carrier locked or not. There are a couple exceptions due to hardware limitations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss