Phone to PC data transfer Issue

Gone Fishing1

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I have an 810 and I would like to back up my phone to my PC rather then to the Cloud (paranoid because of PRISM)... However when I plug in my phone to my PC and click on "My Computer" then choose the Windows Phone I get an empty folder. No hidden files, no mention of size of the storage space or amount used, nothing at all. I have also downloaded and installed the wp app to my computer (Win 7) and still nothing. Is there something in the phone that I have to turn on or unlock for me to have access to my data?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You can't access anything on the phone in this way other than pictures, videos, music files and ringtones. Unfortunately, everything does get backed-up to cloud storage and there isn't an option for offline storage at all.

Gone Fishing1

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Well that sucks. The instruction manual says to plug it in and access it the way I was trying. So I'm lost now. whats the point of the WP app if I cannot back up without using the cloud?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
All the WP app allows is synchronisation of media files to be honest. And that's it. It baffled me when I found out that we couldn't do a back-up to the PC like you could with old Symbian phones. Don't get me wrong, I do like this cloud back-up stuff but the option to back-up to a PC should be there also.

Gone Fishing1

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'd be fine with synchronizing my media files only. But I cannot even do that without using the cloud it seems. When I start the WP app it tells me that "Windows Phone is locked. Unlock your phone to see whats on it." But there are no instructions to "unlock" my phone, unless it means to get the unlock code for taking it to another carrier. But that is ridiculous.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
You can load media and ring tones onto the internal memory

1, Unlock phone and plug it into your PC
2. under my computer double click the image of the phone
3. You will see 2 drives, one labled Phone and the other SD card
4 Double click on the Phone drive and you will see the following folders
Documents
Music
Pictures
Ringtones
Videos

5. Double clicking on the SD card will give you the following folders
Music
Pictures
Videos

IF the phone is locked, it will only charge when plugged into USB port and the PC will not reconize it.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
When it is saying that the device is locked, it means that you need to get to the start screen on the phone before it will sync. You probably password protected your device and need to enter that before it will start any activity besides charging.

Gone Fishing1

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I have no passwords on the phone. I have made sure that I was at the live tile screen before plugging in my phone, and even tried going into my pictures. I have tried everything I can think of. I have zero access to my phone using the data cable. Only way for me to get access to my files is to upload to skydrive then download to computer. For the file on my Micro sd card I have to pull it out of the phone and put it into the adapter, which means shutting down my phone and pulling the battery out.

Gone Fishing1

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
ok -figure this crap out..... I can access the phone if I take the MicroSD card out of the phone.... never thought to test it before because its freaking annoying to have to:
1) turn off the phone,
2) pull the battery,
3) pull the sd card,
4) put the battery back in,
5) restart the phone,
6) sync,
7) turn everything off,
8) pull the battery
9) put the sd card back in
10) put the battery back in
11) turn phone back on.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
ok -figure this crap out..... I can access the phone if I take the MicroSD card out of the phone.... never thought to test it before because its freaking annoying to have to:
1) turn off the phone,
2) pull the battery,
3) pull the sd card,
4) put the battery back in,
5) restart the phone,
6) sync,
7) turn everything off,
8) pull the battery
9) put the sd card back in
10) put the battery back in
11) turn phone back on.

Good lawd....... -sigh- ... i did exactly what you did there before you figured it all out... smh...

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, along the above about removing the microSD, have you tried:
Settings
Phone storage
SD Card
remove SD card
sync
power off
power on
????

Gone Fishing1

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
OK, along the above about removing the microSD, have you tried:
Settings
Phone storage
SD Card
remove SD card
sync
power off
power on
????

Good idea but... I just tried it. I am looking at the phone right now in settings (so the phone is "unlocked") - SD card shows "not found" but it is still in there. And the WP app is telling me to unlock the phone. It seems as long as it is physically seated in the phone, the phone shows as locked.
Settings
Storage
SD card
Remove SD card and waited till it finalized.
Plugged phone into the computer to sync - nothing accessible in My computer, and WP app says unlock it.
Checked settings again, phone still shows no SD card.
unplugged phone.
turned it off,
pulled card, powered back up.
From a black screen plugged it in and had full normal access in 'My Computer' and WP app.

exilegoods

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem trying to access my files on my sd card when i first got my phone. So i read on a blog where someone had the exact same problem as me. Tried pretty much exactly what i did and got no result until he tried something that i hadn't and finally got it to work. So he bascially copied all the files that he had on his sd card and then reformatted it and then connected back to the phone and it then it worked. I did the same thing i finally got access to my files on my sdcard ( music, pictures, videos). But other than that nothing else worked. I tried the zune software and installing that windows desktop app which didnt do anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa