Step by Step Guide to Installing GDR3 on your Lumia 810

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Notes / Disclaimers:
1. My Lumia 810 was unlocked by T-Mobile a week ago.
2. These instructions are based on my experience. Your experience may be different on what firmware is on your Lumia 810 with any other mods that I may not be aware of. In short, I am not responsible if you "brick" your phone when you follow these instructions. As such Microsoft will tell you that as well.
3. You cannot revert back to your old version of the phone.

I created this guide because I am not going to wait around till T-Mobile released the Lumia Black update for the Lumia 810 phone. And all indications point to the fact that they might not release it at all.

Here are the instructions:
Go to
Windows Phone Dev Center

Click on - Register as a developer with App Studio ? Free, and create apps to run on your own Windows Phones
This should open up the following link:
Windows Phone App Studio | Microsoft

Go to the bottom of the page and click ?Start building?

This should prompt you to sign in using your Microsoft Account ? this can be hotmail.com, outlook.com, live.com, msn.com or any other Microsoft account.
Go ahead and sign in. The browser should then open the following page:

Microsoft account

You now have a developer account with Microsoft.

Go back to this web page

Windows Phone Dev Center

Click on the ?Download? icon and download the Windows Phone Preview for Developers app.

It should take you to the following page with your sign on credentials.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/preview-for-developers/ and the screen should look as follows
Preview for Developers.jpg

Click ?install? to phone.
If the phone cannot be contacted via the web app it will ask you to send instructions on how to install the app to your Microsoft email account (primary account on your Windows Phone. Open the email on your Lumia 810 and then install the Preview for Developers app using the link in the email it should automatically open the App Store on your phone.
Once the App is installed follow step by step instructions in the App and you should have GDR3 running on your phone in about 30 minutes after that.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Just to let everyone know: you will not get the release-version of the update, you will get the preview.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
True, it's not the release version of the update since the update released for Nokia Lumias is both the OS (GDR3) and the Firmware update (Black). However, you do get the same updated OS as the one in the release (same OS version number).

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
True that! How I wish our phones weren't discontinued... It's pretty tough! Already dropped it several times (without the case... It's a bit slippery) and just got very minor scuffs/dents

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
True that! How I wish our phones weren't discontinued... It's pretty tough! Already dropped it several times (without the case... It's a bit slippery) and just got very minor scuffs/dents

Did you get your Lumia 810 unlocked by T-Mo?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The preview version works just fine on my 810. I am happy with it. Also I downloaded the Nokia Folder from the App Store, so far so good. It is not the complete version that folks are getting with Lumia Black but it is better than being stuck on Amber on my 810...

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
The preview version works just fine on my 810. I am happy with it. Also I downloaded the Nokia Folder from the App Store, so far so good. It is not the complete version that folks are getting with Lumia Black but it is better than being stuck on Amber on my 810...

It's IS the complete Microsoft GDR3 OS update it just doesn't have the Lumia Black firmware
so it's not a "version" of GDR3 :wink: it is GDR3.
And any WP8 phone can get App Folder, Black, GDR3 or not.

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
the black firmware for me is more important. I don't know with others. but i raised an issue before that Amber firmware made our cameras worse. its not a bad camera. but Amber made it worse. didn't you noticed it? i have a htc hd2 ported with wp 7.8. it has a 5mp cam, pictures from there are better. again, i don't know with the others. firmware for me is important coz, it will be a factor for the OS and for apps on how they work and perform... #justmy2cent

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a question. When you installed the Dev Preview GDR3, can you still download Nokia based apps? Just want to make sure because I use Nokia MixRadio like krazy.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
You can still get the Nokia Apps, but many of them require the Nokia Firmware to work properly. An example of this one is that Play To doesn't have the proper firmware in the GDR3 preview so it will not allow songs to play to streaming devices. They did a patch to get people by for now, but without that permanent fix, Play To is dead to the 810...

I haven't heard too many other issues from anyone, but Play To was a deal breaker for me. Black won't give me much more for the 810 - but I'm waiting for details on the 925 release now.

PS I have the most possessed 810 for Nokia Mix Radio that you have ever experienced if you want to take it for a test drive some day... Plays about 5 seconds of the song and then drops the audio until the next track starts!

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to install GDR3 from a microSD Card? And possibly the Nokia Black? I know that the developer preview app can be downloaded to a PC as an xap file for installation from an SD Card but I think that's only a certificate.

mk1129

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
It's said that "There was an instance with the GDR3 Preview that Nokia PlayTo did not function after the update, but it was fixed by Nokia. The risk is still pretty minimal."
from reddit
r/windowsphone/comments/22doot/windows_phone_developer_preview_and_you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99