Still worth it?

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
So I have a lumia 521 and since the new 8.1 update I gave issues. Apps force close,random lag spikes, and other minor problems.

So is the 810 a worthy upgrade?
It has 1gb of ram,so that should help with lag. Also a faster CPU.

Not sure if the htc 8x would survive a drop like my 521 lol
Which is better Lumia 810 or HTC 8x.

Also can I wireless charge with the 810? How much is it?

Hope you guys can help.

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I think that if you add a back cover with charging capabilities the 810 can have wireless charging. It's still a great phone. Many people here have upgraded the 810 on 8.1 without problems, and it's built pretty strongly in case of any accidents.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
So I have a lumia 521 and since the new 8.1 update I gave issues. Apps force close,random lag spikes, and other minor problems.

Hope you guys can help.

It is absolutely a worthy upgrade. I did just that for about 6 months and am now thinking of going to the 925.
No lag and the CPU is quite good.

You can find wireless charging shells for it. But with the shell the cases do not fit. Good phones are about $90 and the shell is about $20-25.

PM me, I might be able to help.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Hope you guys can help.

The 810 is still a great phone. I have one and it was my first Windows Phone. Out of the three WPs I have, my 810 is the only one I updated to 8.1 via the developer preview. I'm using it right now, been swapping my SIM out regularly between it and my 925. It's like a whole new phone when you install 8.1. I love that you can store apps on the SIM. The 810 also has better RAM as you said, a better screen than the 521 and a better camera (though the camera is definitely nowhere near the quality of the 920 or 925). Also, there IS wireless charging for the 810 as long as you get a wireless charging cover. T-Mobile used to sell it in color choices of cyan or black. I'm positive you can still find them on eBay and such. I can't say how much the covers cost these days; a friend from this forum got mine at a slight discount and I paid him via PayPal for it. It was around $32 back then, but this was back in late 2012 or early 2013. They might be rare right now and pricier.

But in the long run, if you're interested in the 810, even though it's long since EOL'd, I'd go for it. It's a great phone. :wink:

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's worth it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great phone, but the fact that it has been EOL'd and the fact it's some of the older WP hardware out right now doesn't do it any favors. Go for the 925 if the RAM is such a huge issue.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I think the 810 is worth it. You can get them off ebay around $80 - $100 in great condition, and all EOL means is there's no guarantee of future firmware updates, which for older hardware really bring only minor improvements and occasional features. You can still update the OS using Preview for Developers. All you do is sign up for App Studio or Unlock the device using the Developer Tools (no developer account required), then install and run Preview for Developers.

In all it comes down to ones needs. If you want one with low light photography, higher res screen, and dont mind limited storage memory, get the 925. But, if you need expandable memory, or don't mind Mid-Range and want to save some money, get an 810.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
With WP8.1 for sure.
Despite being EOL'ed the 810 still provides really good performance and if the eBay pricing of $80-$100 is true then why not.
It's better than the low end 52x, has a really good camera, shoots full HD video, 1Gb RAM instead of 512Mb, SD slot for up to 64Gb means massive space for apps.
Works really great as a GPS with the Nokia Here suit.
The screen is 'only' 480 x 800 but the AMOLED screen is so good it doesn't make much of a difference. The extra row of tiles in WP8.1 is still useable.

And..... it even works as a phone!!!

To each his own but for $100 it's still a good option.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the 810 is worth every penny and more. I still haven't made the jump to the 925 and I have a mint one in a box sitting in front of me. Both have identical accessories - wireless charging shells and nice cases but I cannot seem to give up on the 810....

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought 4 wireless shells on Amazon for $20 each (through seller TheBestInClass). Two black, two cyan. They're listed as like new, but aside from not coming in the original packaging, they seemed pristine.
Cyan
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Wireles...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2543408
Black
Amazon.com: Nokia Wireless Charging Shell CC-3063 for Lumia 810 (BLACK): Cell Phones & Accessories

In case the Seller gets bumped down, you can select it in the More Buying Choices. I'm in no way affiliated, just want to share that particular seller because his products came quickly and in good shape. It's nice that they are a fullfilled by amazon so they qualify for Amazon's free shipping.

I had been searching for these for so long I was thrilled to find them. And now that I selfishly got the ones I needed for my family, I wanted to share with you all...

adg5

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a 925 for my wife yesterday. The camera isn't that much of an improvement over the 810. The loud speaker on the 810 sounds way better, especially for music playback. And I like being able to swap out the battery and add more memory. I have been using my 810 for a year and a half and after playing around with the 925, I still prefer my 810.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, it looks like the 925 will be joining us 810 owners for no more support from T-mo.

"T-Mobile rep here. This is true. We had to send back all 925 accessories and were told we would not be receiving new inventory on the device. I hope this is to clear stock to make room foe the 930, however I fear the 925 is being replaced by the 635. We still carry the 521, and seemingly will for a while longer. So it seems like tmobile will carry the 521 and 635. Both low end devices. This makes me sad. I hope I'm wrong."
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ca...umia-930-t-mobile-unofficial.html#post2534271

adg5 - You might want to think about returning the 925, if you can.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a 925 for my wife yesterday. The camera isn't that much of an improvement over the 810. The loud speaker on the 810 sounds way better, especially for music playback. And I like being able to swap out the battery and add more memory. I have been using my 810 for a year and a half and after playing around with the 925, I still prefer my 810.

Are you kidding me?? You must be doing something wrong when snapping photos if you believe that. I have the 810, the 920 and the 925 and have snapped lots of photos with all three phones (especially the 920). The cameras of the 920 and 925 are FAR superior to that of the 810. I've been swapping my SIM between my 925 and 810 (since updating the latter to 8.1 in April) and it is extremely obvious how much better the 925's camera is as I've been taking lots of pictures lately with spring being in full bloom and all. At the moment, that's probably the only thing stopping me from using the 810 as my main phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos