Can I update my Nokia Lumia 810 to windows 8.1?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can I update my Nokia Lumia 810 to windows 8.1

Doesn't look like T-Mobile are supporting that phone. Perhaps investigate getting the Developer Preview?

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

The developers preview is your only option. T-Mobile had ended support for the 810 for over a year and a half

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Actually just under 14.5 months, but who's counting :wink:

Good snark! Yes, OP, the 810 via Preview for Developers has had full featured 8.1 Update (GDR2) for a long, long time. And it's totally worth it!

When I got my 810 perhaps 15 months ago, I absolutely hated it! As just one for instance, when idle the screen was just black. You'd have to fire it up just to see if you've missed a call or something. With PforD, you will run 8.1 Update and you will LOVE it!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

I've had the developer preview since it first became available and love it (I have a 920). Have never had the bugs I've seem people complained about. But keep in mind almost any bugs people had was due to running wp8.1 without the 8.1 drivers (cyan) which no longer applies for most phones. Its well worth it and breathed more life into my phone!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

While he can get the developers preview for the 810 he will not be able to get cyan. T-Mobile will not be doing any updates for the 810. Its a shame as the phone was a very good performer on T-Mobile.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

While he can get the developers preview for the 810 he will not be able to get cyan. T-Mobile will not be doing any updates for the 810. Its a shame as the phone was a very good performer on T-Mobile.
That's too bad. The developer preview will release cyan in the future for the phone. Best to just keep an eye on the release of it for that model. Carriers can be really frustrating. Luckily at&t released cyan for my 920 months ago. I think its shameful t-mobile and verizon are dragging their feet.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

I've had the developer preview since it first became available and love it (I have a 920). Have never had the bugs I've seem people complained about. But keep in mind almost any bugs people had was due to running wp8.1 without the 8.1 drivers (cyan) which no longer applies for most phones. Its well worth it and breathed more life into my phone!

Cyan has nothing at all to do with being "drivers" for 8.1. Black and 8.1 are 100% compatible.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

That's too bad. The developer preview will release cyan in the future for the phone. Best to just keep an eye on the release of it for that model. Carriers can be really frustrating. Luckily at&t released cyan for my 920 months ago. I think its shameful t-mobile and verizon are dragging their feet.

Cyan would require teamwork with TMO and MS. It won't ever happen on the 810. Nevertheless, a damned fine phone.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone successfully upgraded an 810 to Windows Phone 8.1. Want to upgrade my wife's phone -- but terrified that it might "brick" or some functioning since it's not running Cyan (TMo never offered it). She would like to be Bing Maps back and also Cortana -- but is there a risk that the upgrade might go badly?

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone successfully upgraded an 810 to Windows Phone 8.1. Want to upgrade my wife's phone -- but terrified that it might "brick" or some functioning since it's not running Cyan (TMo never offered it). She would like to be Bing Maps back and also Cortana -- but is there a risk that the upgrade might go badly?

Isn't that what this whole thread is about? Have you read it, or did you just post? Hard to believe.

Summary: It works fine, you won't brick your phone, this is not a ROM change. It will never get Cyan, so what? Can't see that Cyan changed my life one whit on my other phones.

Do it.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi Paul. Thanks for the reply. Was just looking for definitive confirmation -- more than a discussion to be 100% sure. If this phone bricks -- I'm headed to the doghouse. Mad wife = bad life.

It's just that you get mixed messages on the Developer's Preview. Some people say that DP is the way to get around the carriers sitting on their hands and holding back software updates. But when some users report having issues with DP builds, some users yell at them for not realizing these are not "official" releases thus not for your daily driver.

Thanks for the clarity. I'll update this weekend and report back on how it goes.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You can always revert back with the recovery tools (used to be called Nokia Software Recovery, but not sure what's being called now).

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Paul. Thanks for the reply. Was just looking for definitive confirmation -- more than a discussion to be 100% sure. If this phone bricks -- I'm headed to the doghouse. Mad wife = bad life.

It's just that you get mixed messages on the Developer's Preview. Some people say that DP is the way to get around the carriers sitting on their hands and holding back software updates. But when some users report having issues with DP builds, some users yell at them for not realizing these are not "official" releases thus not for your daily driver.

Thanks for the clarity. I'll update this weekend and report back on how it goes.

As much as I've wasted so much of my life on phone forums - I'm only blaming myself, grin! - I've yet to see issues with PforD. It's solid, it works. PforD changed my 810 from something I hated to something that is wonderful.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You can always revert back with the recovery tools (used to be called Nokia Software Recovery, but not sure what's being called now).

It's called Nokia Software Updater for Retail. Occasionally I've had issues with it not "seeing" phone that is definitely plugged in, but somehow I've always gotten around that. Usually be rebooting the PC.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
It's called Nokia Software Updater for Retail. Occasionally I've had issues with it not "seeing" phone that is definitely plugged in, but somehow I've always gotten around that. Usually be rebooting the PC.

NSU for Retail and NSR have merged into one application: Lumia Software Recovery Tool 5.0 . Open either of the previous applications I listed and they will both merge into: Lumia Software Recovery Tool 5.0

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
So, thanks to the guidance and insights here, took the plunge this weekend and upgraded a Lumia 810 to Windows Phone 8.1. You guys were right. Works great! Got Cortana and the maps application and all the other improvements. It's like having a brand new phone!

Thanks everyone. And it's great that Microsoft continues to support older hardware with Developer's Preview. That's a great bonus to the ecosystem.

And if anyone discovers this thread in the future -- go ahead and upgrade your 810 to WP 8.1. It's totally worth it! Runs great.

Thanks everyone!

Slyworm123

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site

Good snark! Yes, OP, the 810 via Preview for Developers has had full featured 8.1 Update (GDR2) for a long, long time. And it's totally worth it!

When I got my 810 perhaps 15 months ago, I absolutely hated it! As just one for instance, when idle the screen was just black. You'd have to fire it up just to see if you've missed a call or something. With PforD, you will run 8.1 Update and you will LOVE it!

I got a Lumia 810. It tried the preview for developers. It not working. It just tells me it need a update. But my 810 says it up to date.... Please help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss