New Lumia - need suggestions

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I have been rocking a 810 shortly after it came out. The phone is not running particularly well - I now need to reset it about once each day. I have a birthday coming up in February, and am looking to replace it, but being on T-mobile, the choices seem limited. Guess I could order a 925, but I'll miss the charging (don't like the look of the snap-on back).

I've read that various newer Lumias (830, 930) don't have LTE on TMo. I'd like to pick up a newer phone with a better camera, but am having a really problem figuring out what to do. Anyone on TMo (I'm in Chicago) have any suggestions?

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Switch provider? That'd be my suggestion honestly. 925 is old and has the exact same hardware as the 810. Not what i'd call an improvement.

Funny note is that the HTC M8 for Windows ... the name, omfg HTC. Actually does support band 4. Which is one of the bands tmobusa uses.

Or just go for 3g and hope tmobile fixes their silly network some day. With the quality of USA networks 4g has little value now anyway.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Depending on how much money you want to spend, I'd go with the Lumia 1520.3. I switched my HD7/810 line to AT&T for better signals and happened to pick up the 1520, but I'm looking for the 1520.3.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I would do one of two things. Wait to see what is coming next for new Lumia phones. Or research and find a non carrier branded phone, that isn't tied to a carrier for updates.

I'm in same boat, and personally I'm going to do both, wait and see, and find a non branded phone.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all of the suggestions. My current thought is to purchase a used Lumia Icon off ebay - they go for $200-$220. I called TMo tech support, and they confirmed that it will get HSPA in Chicago, perhaps even LTE. Specs are damn good (processor, camera, etc), and if it doesn't work well on TMo, I suspect I should be able to flip it for (hopefully) only a small loss. Thoughts?

squibcakes

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Oooh! An Icon? I'd probably recommend something else. I just had dinner with a client who has had it with the Icon because of the lack of support for it. The deals are out there if you keep looking. I actually got a 1520 new for $200 - but only after looking for quite awhile.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Where did you find the 1520 for $200?

Rumor is that Verizon will release denim for the Icon shortly. Am keeping a lookout.

Thought about the 1520, but it is flat out too big for me. I know many love it, but I am not a fan of phablets.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For anyone interested, I just bought an Icon off eBay and updated to Denim. Had to change some settings to get MMS working properly with my TMo sim, but other than that, the phone is amazing. A really, really nice upgrade from the 810. You don't realize how slow apps open, etc., until you try something else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney