Anyone think they might buy an 820 over the 920?

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
The 820 is in the lead right now for me. The size, removable battery, expandable memory, and headphone jack placement on top right. But if Nokia or aftermarket manufacturer don't make a quality extended battery and back cover, the 820 will fall down the list.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I might really be in the 820 camp, depending on price and performance. I sure would rather have the 920, but I am not a photo enthusiast and I may end up paying way to much for the 920. Will decide on price points, screen performance, and the feel between 820, 920, and ATIV. Will at least look at the 8X, though I think the 820 will have it all over it.

Ready to see the release party of WP8 and get some devices in my hand and start some serious playing....

mountainman

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm on VZW, so I am definitely considering the 820/822 whatever it's called.

It has the microSD slot and the removable battery. But the one thing I can't get past is that ppi -- 217. I'll have to see it in action b4 I plop my hard-earned cash on it.

BTW - I would not even consider a closed-system phone.

As usual, the pickin's are slim on big red....

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'll be buying a NOKIA Lumia 820 SIM-Free, but only because the NOKIA Lumia 920 isn't going to be available to non-EE/Orange/T-Mobile Customers until this stupid 'Exclusivity Period' has expired.

So long as I have ?459.95 to spare after shelling out ?379.95 this time then I will then hopefully have a 920 in lieu of the 820.

Basically, I'm getting an 820 to remain patient for the 920 - otherwise I run the risk of eating my own shoes!!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I WAS really very much leaning towards the 820 but a few things made me want the 920 more:

The smaller battery is a concern for me, I'd hope I could upgrade it at a later date but the chances are I'd have to go 3rd party for that. The fact that it doesn't have gorilla glass really is a big concern for me - I wouldn't want to spend nearly ?400 for a device that I could scratch/shatter any easier than a 920. I went into the shop earlier in the week and compared the 920 and the 820 side by side. I was surprised at how thin and light the 820 was but the fact that the size in my hand of both devices really wasn't that different makes me think that I would really notice that the 820 doesn't have a HD screen. I think over time that would bug me a lot.

On the other hand the 820 is a really nice phone and it's removable battery, SD support and replacable covers (which are very sturdy and flush with the rest of the phone - I was very impressed), but I think it's a bit too expensive considering I just need to put up another ?80 quid and get the 920.

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone agrees with me that not have gorilla glass is a deal breaker ? I was thinking about buying this for my wife but I was imaganing that it might come out of the purse full of scratches. :O
Does anyone know if its screen might have any other sort of protection ?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the importance of gorilla glass comes down to necessity. Someone that puts their phone inside a purse full of keys probably shouldn't buy a phone without gorilla glass. Whereas someone like me, who only allows his phone to touch the smooth lining of his inner pocket :D, doesn't need gorilla glass but it's a nice perk.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I think the importance of gorilla glass comes down to necessity. Someone that puts their phone inside a purse full of keys probably shouldn't buy a phone without gorilla glass. Whereas someone like me, who only allows his phone to touch the smooth lining of his inner pocket :D, doesn't need gorilla glass but it's a nice perk.

There alternatives to Gorilla Glass:
Lumia 820 Q&A- Your Questions Answered : My Nokia Blog

The 820 has scratch resistant glass and rather nicely can accept 64GB SD cards rather than the earlier reported 32��

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There alternatives to Gorilla Glass:
Lumia 820 Q&A- Your Questions Answered : My Nokia Blog

The 820 has scratch resistant glass and rather nicely can accept 64GB SD cards rather than the earlier reported 32��

Really appreciate your reply. Especially alternate to gorilla glass being there made my day. Lumia 820 might be in range to buy, I hope they launch it with decent price tag in Pakistan.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone agrees with me that not have gorilla glass is a deal breaker ? I was thinking about buying this for my wife but I was imaganing that it might come out of the purse full of scratches. :O
Does anyone know if its screen might have any other sort of protection ?

I'm pretty sure it has some off brand of scratch resistant glass. It's not as if they made it with regular glass. It may not be as quite as good as Gorilla Glass, but I'm sure it will resist scratching sufficiently.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Well my mind is pretty much made up at this point. If the AT&T price off contract price stay's this low at 400 I am sold. Hopefully by Dec or Jan the price will be even lower has that is when I will be getting mine. For a few hundred more, I could get a 920 . but it is too big for me, just like the ativ. 8x pricing put it out of ball park for me off contract..

The 8s would not seem much like an upgrade from my flash (no nfc, no ffc, 4gb hd, 512 ram) compared to 820 (nfc,ffc,8gb,1gig).

Now if I only had enough to pre-order now, then, I would not have to wait.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Since AT&T completely botched my pre-order for two L920s, and I had to completely cancel it , I've decided to take a fresh inventory of what I really need for what I do, and I think when I walk into the local corp. store on Friday, I may be walking out with two L820s (and, if they have them, wireless charging covers and plates).

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Just got the 820, I intentionally chose it over the 920 after playing with both at the store. I am coming from a 900 and very happy with my choice.

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it has some off brand of scratch resistant glass. It's not as if they made it with regular glass. It may not be as quite as good as Gorilla Glass, but I'm sure it will resist scratching sufficiently.

Yeah that is what I was reffering to. If not inclusion of gorilla glass drops the price tag and still there is some scratch resistanat material I think it is good.

I have been thinking about it because my wife has a ipod touch 4G and it got a big scratch on its screen from a pouch if diamentees on it which was also in purse. That scratch is invisible until you turn off the screen and tilt it to see that scratch but still since screen is everything with current devices I believe there should always be some scratch resistant material.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
If I could, I might consider getting the 820 over the 920. I like:
- the expandable storage for some movies and I like to take a lot of pictures as well as videos so the extra storage is nice
- exchangeable back cover for those times I feel like the phone needs a new look
- and size. since I have the lumia 800 and like the ergonomics of it a lot, I think this size would be ideal

The camera and better resolution on the 920 are something I would probably take over the 820

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo