Anyone think they might buy an 820 over the 920?

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't at all plan on getting a new phone yet. I bought a Lumia 800 back in february and I like keeping my phones for about 2 years before I get a new one.

That being said I actually thought about the Lumia 820 over the 920 for a couple of reasons. First of all, I relly like the size of the 800 (and thus the 820). I fear that the 900 and thus the 920 will be too big. I need to carry it around in my pocket after all. Reason two: I like the changeable covers. It allows for the back to be replaced should it be scratched. Three: It will be cheaper but still be a serious smartphone experience with full WP8 integration and everything.

So, my five cents. ;)

Edit: What do you think? Which would you prefer, and why?

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
820 is very high on my list at this point. Without seeing the other offerings from htc and samsung yet..

820 has a removable battery and removable cover's and wireless charging. The 920 does not have a removable battery so no removable cover. but colors and wireless charging.

Removable battery is a plus in case of battery problems replace battery itself on 820. On 920 would have to send phone back.

The Screen Size is important for me so comparing to 900. The 900 I could barely function one handed, but managed if held right. which is pretty much the same has size has 820.

The Titan I could not hold comfortly in hand and work right without risk of slipping out of hand. Which the 920 is about the same size has if not smaller etc.

Specs Wise CPU,HD..

Both have same Chipset - CPU at 1.5ghz, Same amount of ram 1gig. so no advantage for either here.

HD Space 8gb on 820 but SD Card Support. If I needed more hd space on 820 buy sd card.
32gb on 920 but no SD Card support listed..

I manage hd space on my flash already..swap music out has needed..never more than 2gig's at a time..But could keep it all on SD Card..

But still have offering's from HTC and Samsung to see has well..But 820 is very high on my list..

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
if im going with contract then its going to be 920 but im going to buy it off contract so 820 for me
it might be cheaper "i hope so" and it has some common specs (cpu - ram - gpu ) + SD Card + Removable Battery + design both are great but i think i like 820 design more + replaceable covers if i find some damages on cover i simply through the old cover and replaced with new one

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If so, why?
I am SERIOUSLY considering the 820 over any other device(until I see what HTC has in store) because:

-4.3 is the sweet spot IMO and the device is very close to the size of my Focus S, which I love.

-Has SD support so with 32+8, we get 40 gbs total and that sounds amazing to me. 16 has been more than enough but I wanna start storing movies on my device as well.

-interchangable covers, I love the way they work and I love the colors, wife is already eyeing the purple and I would love to have the blue....total football colors for us...(shes a raven, Im a charger)

-920 is just TOO BIG but I will hold it in my hands before i decide, feeling about the same with the ATIV S.

-Love the design !!!

Specs wise, aside from an HD screen and pureview on the camera, its still one **** of a device, and one that I would be happy to rock.

fraincs

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I come from a Focus and love the removable battery and the micro SD sort of support that it provides, it'll depend on my budget and if I choose to go with a contract or not but the 820 is slimmer which is a good thing.

Love the camera on the 920 and the display though... it'll all come down to budget and if my mobile phone provider gets the 820 or the 920.

davebwi

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I will buy whatever Verizonwireless has first... My Motorola Android is terrible
But The 820 looks awsome. IF I got to choose

Guakala

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't take the 820 over the 920 because of the screen resolution and camera but I might have to buy the 820 unless T-Mobile gets the 920, which is most likely going to AT&T.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Being with T-mobile, I have no hopes of seeing the 920. Based on the specs of the device I'm really considering jumping from my 710 when this is released. However I want to see the HTC offering before I make up my mind.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 820 or Mid-Range Works...

If so, why?

I'd rather know why not?

I'm currently sporting the Verizon HTC Trophy which is by far (comparatively to the new WP8 devices) a low-end device.

I'm perfectly happy with my HTC Trophy. Let's take a look at the specs that I care about:

HTC Trophy Specs:
3.8" Display
1300mAH Battery
5 MP camera + 720p HD video recording (with auto focus and LED flash)
16 GB Local Storage
576 MB RAM
1GHz Qualcomm

(All specs listed here at HTCs website: HTC Trophy )

Nokia Lumia 820 Specs:
4.3" Display
1650 mAH Battery
8 MP camera + 1920x1080p HD video recording (with auto focus and Dual LED flash and Carl Zeiss lens)
Forward facing camera lens
8 GB Local Memory (32 GB expandable memory card slot)
1000 MB RAM
Dual Core 1.5 Snapdragon Qualcomm Processor

(All specs listed here at Nokia's website: Nokia Lumia 820 Specifications - Nokia )

What should I not like? I simply want a more impressive upgrade. It's better than my current phone. While I will say the 920 is wonderfully sexy and impressive with its PureView, I don't need it and the 8 MP upgrade and HD factors of the Lumia 820 will still be a major impressive upgrade from the specs of my HTC Trophy. I believe the 820 still features all the wireless functions that the 920 does which I highly desire. In addition the 820 has more plate color options which are removable and a battery which is removable. These features in my experience have been very essential to a phone's longevity. I think the better question is why should I get the Nokia 920 (or better yet Samsung ATIV/HTC 8X?) (I kinda agree with what infamousdaveman said)

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
You're drastically underestimating difference that an HD display will make, if you're considering this. My advice would be to make sure you do yourself a favor and compare the two in person before you decide.

bb_gonzo

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I kind of like the design of the 820 better then the 920's. I don't really need a fancy camera as i rarely use it and I like how thin it is. BUT, the screen just worries me. I like that is's OLED but the resolution just isn't what a modern should have.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Being with T-mobile, I have no hopes of seeing the 920. Based on the specs of the device I'm really considering jumping from my 710 when this is released. However I want to see the HTC offering before I make up my mind.

+1

I too am on T-Mobile. At first I was jones'n for the 920, but the more I look at the 820, the more I like it. The removable battery and the SD is a HUGE plus for me. I would like to know if the T-Mo version (822?) will have UMA/WiFi calling. That takes precedence over everything for me, on a prepaid, low voice minute plan.

So another person waiting to see what other stuff will be coming out.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I did entertain the idea at first. Mainly because of the smaller size, but also because of the SD card. Being able to change colors is a nice extra as well. However, the screen and camera on the 920 are more attractive to me and I'm sure I could get used to the size. However, no Gorilla glass on the 820 is a deal breaker for sure. So definitely the 920 for me.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I did entertain the idea at first. Mainly because of the smaller size, but also because of the SD card. Being able to change colors is a nice extra as well. However, the screen and camera on the 920 are more attractive to me and I'm sure I could get used to the size. However, no Gorilla glass on the 820 is a deal breaker for sure. So definitely the 920 for me.

Are you sure that 820 doesn't have Gorilla Glass? I ask because both the 800 and 900 have so it seems weird if the 820 wouldn't have.

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
Are you sure that 820 doesn't have Gorilla Glass? I ask because both the 800 and 900 have so it seems weird if the 820 wouldn't have.
Interesting. The specs for the 920 say Gorilla glass, but not for the 820.

I seem to remember a similar error in the specs for the 800 though... time will tell.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

The 820 is nearly a possible for me as the removable battery and SD card are high on my list, but the screen res of the 820 puts me off big time as everything seems to be point to the 920 having a much better screen and Im used to higher res on my GS3, so feel it would be a step down

also, even with the SD on the 820, that only gives 40gb max which is only 8gb more than the 920, so sacrificing the better screen, camera apps etc for the 8gb seems a hard sell for me personally, even though I have concerns over the non-removable battery in the 920

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb