Removable Battery

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, is the Nokia Lumia 820 going to have a removable battery? I was considering a Nokia phone next, but I really need a phone with a removable battery.

I've read it also comes with expandable storage which is also cool. But the big thing for me is the removable battery.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious about the need for a removable battery. I've been using cell phones since they were the size of Acme Bricks and every one of them had a removable battery until I started using an iPhone 3G. Even though with my past phones, I have purchased spare batteries, I've never needed to use them, so they were just floating around and probably discharged themselves due to lack of use. I've never found a need to swap it out. I charge every night so I've never, personally, needed a removable battery.

Am I a freak of nature?? Seems like a lot of people freak out when phones don't have a removable battery. Just curious.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious about the need for a removable battery. I've been using cell phones since they were the size of Acme Bricks and every one of them had a removable battery until I started using an iPhone 3G. Even though with my past phones, I have purchased spare batteries, I've never needed to use them, so they were just floating around and probably discharged themselves due to lack of use. I've never found a need to swap it out. I charge every night so I've never, personally, needed a removable battery.

Am I a freak of nature?? Seems like a lot of people freak out when phones don't have a removable battery. Just curious.
Batteries fail and/or degrade over time. Some people like to be able to easily swap out failed parts. I have a Quantum, for example, and as of today do not see a phone worth upgrading to. I can replace my battery and Quantum will likely continue working for years. Same with laptops. I have laptops that are 10 years old. I just keep replacing failed parts rather than buying new laptops.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

USB Battery backups have replaced the need for carrying spare batteries to swap out on the fly. But I typically always bought a spare for my phones and swapped out batteries every 3 months, to wear them evenly.

I am a little concerned about my L900, but as I only plan to keep the phone for a year, probably not a big issue. For me at least.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

rkremers

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I for one need a removable battery. I wouldn't really consider myself a heavy user, but I guess I am. I have the extended battery for my Trophy and while I can get 1.5 days out of it pretty easy, on busy days, it's close to empty by the end of the day. For example, I went to a college football game last weekend. After a full day of tailgating, the game, then bars afterwards, it was at 9%. Lots of text messages, twitter, pictures, etc. I will likely buy an extended battery for the 822 once it's available.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I used to always buy extra batteries but now I really have no need for it. I'm usually always close to a power jack of some sort.

There are many portable chargers that will get you some juice when your not around an outlet. Many cost less than an additional battery and will give your phone a 60%-75% charge. Like this Duracell

This fuel cell should be available later this year and be enough juice even if you are camping for a week with no power. Two weeks of smartphone charging in your pocket | Cutting Edge - CNET News

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
If I love a phone I want to keep it beyond contract. The degraded battery would make that impossible.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

It's not a deal breaker for me one way or the other.

I don't keep phones for more than two years anyway and any newer phone that is treated properly will retain most of it's battery life over the course of two years.

The advantage to the removable back and replaceable battery on the 820 that interests me most is the possibility of extended battery options, either from Nokia or in the aftermarket. I had a great one made by SEIDO on my Blackberry a few years back and it effectively more than doubled the battery life. I didn't even have to THINK about charging that phone every day, I could easily go 2-3 days between charging.

dmahone

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I bought my Lumia 820 is because of the replaceable battery. I have always bought phones with replaceables. I don't use the extra battery every day, but when I'm at an all day meeting and heavily using the phone, the battery gets tired by dinner time. So I simply swap out the battery and I'm good to go for the rest of the evening.

Problem is, nobody seems to be selling a replacement battery for the 820, including Nokia.
How lame is that??!

Does anybody know a source? Also need a charger for the battery (outside of the phone).

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
The main reason I bought my Lumia 820 is because of the replaceable battery. I have always bought phones with replaceables. I don't use the extra battery every day, but when I'm at an all day meeting and heavily using the phone, the battery gets tired by dinner time. So I simply swap out the battery and I'm good to go for the rest of the evening.

Problem is, nobody seems to be selling a replacement battery for the 820, including Nokia.
How lame is that??!

Does anybody know a source? Also need a charger for the battery (outside of the phone).

I don't know any sources right now. Hopefully soon we will have one. It would be nice if someone can make a extended battery too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills