Confirmed! No gorilla glass on the 820 :(

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I was attending an online q&a with a representative from Nokia Sweden yesterday and asked if the 820 would also have gorilla glass 2 like the 920, he said no, no gorilla glass at all on the 820. That sucks big time IMO.

"Andreas: Kommer Lumia 820 att ha gorilla glass som 920:an?"

"Klas Str?m: Hej, Nej, Lumia 820 kommer inte ha gorilla glas. Lumia 920 har andra generationens gorilla glas som ?r ?n starkare ?n f?reg?ngaren. Mvh, Klas"

Here's the rest of the Q&A I guess you could run it through google translate or something.

P.S My first post here, nice to meet you all!:)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
That is extremely disappointing. I will find it harder to recommend to my coworkers on T-Mobile and Verizon. Hopefully those users will have options from Samsung and HTC as a fallback.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you guys, almost a deal breaker, they'd better have a reasonable price on the 820 if they're intending to cut stuff like that out. If the 800 would have been WP8 upgradeable I'd go out and buy one today, *sigh*:(

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Well someone said its on Nokia's website that the 820 DOES have it..I wonder why all this confusion...on Nokia's part that is...

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Well someone said its on Nokia's website that the 820 DOES have it..I wonder why all this confusion...on Nokia's part that is...

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

Yeah, well I got the answer straight from an official Nokia rep, good enough for me.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I was actually just about to start a thread asking whether this was true or not.

I'm so sad now that I've learned it's true! :( I wonder why Nokia would choose not to build the phone with Gorilla Glass. I really see no reasonably explenation. Although I have a 800 and won't be buying a new one anytime soon, I thought that the 820 was perfect for my needs should I get one. But without Gorilla Glass I'm not so sure - it would be a catastrophe to break the glass accidently.

I wonder what the alternative is? What glass type does the 820 use and how strong is it? If we put all the disappointment aside and think about it for a sec, we know that Nokia makes quality products and that they won't ship something that'll break instantly. So what kind of glass experience can we expect from the 820 without Gorilla Glass?

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I was actually just about to start a thread asking whether this was true or not.

I'm so sad now that I've learned it's true! :( I wonder why Nokia would choose not to build the phone with Gorilla Glass. I really see no reasonably explenation. Although I have a 800 and won't be buying a new one anytime soon, I thought that the 820 was perfect for my needs should I get one. But without Gorilla Glass I'm not so sure - it would be a catastrophe to break the glass accidently.

I wonder what the alternative is? What glass type does the 820 use and how strong is it? If we put all the disappointment aside and think about it for a sec, we know that Nokia makes quality products and that they won't ship something that'll break instantly. So what kind of glass experience can we expect from the 820 without Gorilla Glass?

I would also like to know the reason, the Nokia rep basically just said "no, the 820 won't have gorilla glass" and then continued by touting the 920 "but the 920 will have gorilla glass 2!". Great, too bad I don't want to spend some odd 200? extra for that. My guess is they are trying to maximize profit on the 820 if the suggested price of 4499 SEK is somewhat correct. I know there's some new nice stuff in the 820 but almost 500? and no gorilla glass? Jebus!

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to know the reason, the Nokia rep basically just said "no, the 820 won't have gorilla glass" and then continued by touting the 920 "but the 920 will have gorilla glass 2!". Great, too bad I don't want to spend some odd 200? extra for that. My guess is they are trying to maximize profit on the 820 if the suggested price of 4499 SEK is somewhat correct. I know there's some new nice stuff in the 820 but almost 500? and no gorilla glass? Jebus!

I know. Forget all the other tech stuff a phone may have, but no gorilla glass and this one is off the list for me. Unthinkable that a touchscreen device wouldn't have it these days.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Why would anybody consider the 820 over the 920? I was at the lumia nyc evening event and I was focused on the 920. I didnt care about the 820 at all. I hardly asked any questions about the 820.

footysr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My last 2 phones have had Gorilla Glass and the half dozen before that didn't. None of them ever had a scratch on them though thanks to screen protectors. I'm currently off contract at Sprint and I am leaving them! However, I'm choosing T-Mobile over AT&T so it looks like I'll have to settle for the 820 come November.
Honestly, even if the 820 did come with Gorilla Glass my OCD would still require me to put a screen protector on it. ;)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Several other companies besides Corning make scratch/shatter resistant glass. And without the brand name it could be (considerably) cheaper. So lets see how this plays out with Nokia before persecuting the 820.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well Gorilla Glass is a brand. iPhone doesn't have Gorilla Glass (and yes i know the history of Gorilla Glass).
I would just wait for the reviews and what Nokia has to say when it comes to the screen.

Like jimski said Nokia might have just jumped out of the Gorilla Glass bandwagon for licensing costs and have something just as good or better.

Btw for future preference use Nokia's developer page for always right specifications.
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/

Why would anybody consider the 820 over the 920? I was at the lumia nyc evening event and I was focused on the 920. I didnt care about the 820 at all. I hardly asked any questions about the 820.

I think many people who are considering Lumia 820 might change their mind when they actual hold Lumia 920 in their hand.
That said there's of course the price difference between the two. Though in Europe i don't see there being any chance of Lumia 820 costing below 400 euros. Lumia 920 will be somewhere slightly above 500 euros.
When it comes to euro prices it's usually €=$.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3