Anyone else a little disappointed with the 820?

dukrem

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I think nokia really missed an opportunity to have a second compelling device.

They really needed a smaller high end device to really go toe to toe with the iphone. It needs a 4.0-4.3 inch 768p screen, same camera module as 920 but without OIS, and it needs to be very thin with top build quality and materials. Where the 920's philosophy was getting maximum technology into a phone regardless of size and weight, the 820's could and should have been just the opposite: getting the best tech possible into a small, light, sleek, high quality chassis.

But instead it just looks like they're trying to use up leftover parts from the 900 - 8MP f2.2 non-BSI camera, 4.3" 800x480 screen. Too many phone manufacturers are obsessed with specs and the need to have a single clear flagship device. Why not have 2 flagship models for completely different users and as a result get much better market coverage.

I know Nokia is trying to do it's own thing rather than focus on it's competitors' strategies, but they could really have cornered Apple and co. The internet is abuzz with talk of how the lumia has all this tech that isn't in iphone 5 or G SIII, but a lot of people are now pointing at the weight and thickness as a pitfall. If only we could say to the naysayers 'just look at the 820 then'.

argenys

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I can't say that all your points are valid. The 820 is rumored to have a better camera than the Galaxy S3 and a better construction. The 820 will be the only phone with a changable body, not just removable. This will increase the value of the device tremendously, why? all you need to do is keep the screen protected, the moment you want to sell just change the body if necessary and get a good return from it. The screen is said to include the new sypnatics technology for an extra sensitive screen, something that only the 920 will have in the market. The clearblack tech is also coming to the 820, i'm not sure if the second generation coating and new screen software for color correction. All in all its not the best phone but apart from having an HD screen this device has everything that it needs to compete with other "High end" phones let alone "Mid Range"

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've now accepted the occlusion of gorilla glass 2. I now rather look at the benefits, replaceable covers and batteries, micro SD expansion etc. Also, it has all of the Nokia goodies on it like Music, Maps and stuff. Having the same hardware specs -cpu, RAM etc.- and lower price than the 920 also makes it more attractive for me. Main thing though, it's got WP8 and that is the most important thing of all. Unless there will be a fantastic deal on the 920 with any of the Finnish providers then I'll definitely get the 820, no doubt.

dukrem

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
At least there are a few people interested in it then. I really hope those rumours about the camera are true, the specs make it looks suspiciously like it'll be the same module as the 900. I have to agree that if the screen were higher res I'd feel a lot better about it.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
For me not having any kind of gorilla glass knocked it out of contention for my dollars. I'm a welder and I frequently have small sharp pieces of steel in my clothing and embedded in my hands. Regular old glass will get shredded in record time. I'm fine with WVGA and even if it's the 900 camera it's still an upgrade from my HD7.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
At first I wasn't interested in the 820 at all, but I've watched some videos and read a bit about it and it's pretty nice. I think I could live with it for two years. I would prefer the 920, but I'll have to see what my carrier offers.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Whilst gorilla glass would have been great I think I will manage ok without it, I tend to look after my phones. I will probably get a case or pouch of some sort for when it is in my handbag and that to protect it from keys/coins or other stuff that lurks in there!

I always use screen protectors too.

It's a lovely wee phone I think, the changeable covers appeal, typing with gloves on on cold winter days whilst waiting for the train to work etc also appeal.

The camera will be good enough for me I think for everyday kind of shots that I normally take with a phone. It will also be much much better than the camera on my BlackBerry Bold 9900 so it is an upgrade for me that way.

Pity these phones aren't launching next week! :lol: I must be patient.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Whilst gorilla glass would have been great I think I will manage ok without it, I tend to look after my phones. I will probably get a case or pouch of some sort for when it is in my handbag and that to protect it from keys/coins or other stuff that lurks in there!

It's a lovely wee phone I think, the changeable covers appeal, typing with gloves on on cold winter days whilst waiting for the train to work etc also appeal.

The camera will be good enough for me I think for everyday kind of shots that I normally take with a phone. It will also be much much better than the camera on my BlackBerry Bold 9900 so it is an upgrade for me that way.

I also look forward to be able to use it with gloves, after all, we almost have 6 months of winter here.:confused: I hope we'll get some kind of announcements next week but I'm not holding my breath though. Gotta be patient! gotta be patient!:)

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I also have a BlackBerry Bold 9900 and it is a horrible camera. It doesn't even have autofocus so anything would be an upgrade from that. I love my Bold but its time to make a move and I can't wait for the Lumia 820. I just hope WP8 won't disappoint in the business category as there are a lot of features missing in 7.5.

ankitsagwekar

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
i was plainig to buy 820 without looking any other option. but is don't have Gorilla Glass so now i m looking for any other device before buying 820
if price of 820 is same as 720 while 720 was launch i will buy it or wait for any better deal .

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Considering the fact that the overall performance of the 820 will be on par with that of the 920, I don't think it's a letdown at all. Providing such a solid phone at a cheaper price point is a smart move on Nokia's part.

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Price will swing it for me. Seems like a nice enough device, but there's enough of a gap between the 820 and 920 that I'd expect the 820 to be significantly cheaper. While I'd love a 920, if I can get the 820 on Vodafone on my current price plan, I'd certainly have something to think about.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I was really hoping the 820 was going to be a similar relation to the 800 and 900. I love the features of the 920, but what is with the obsession of making these massive phones? I'd love to have the 920s features, in an 800 package, and sadly the 820 isn't that. The 800 can easily be used with one hand.... the 920 is about the same size as a Galaxy S3, and that thing is massive.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to have the 920s features, in an 800 package, and sadly the 820 isn't that.

And to be fair, Nokia are skint. They can't afford to have a range of 50 different phones, to suit the needs of every single consumer.

They've rightly got a hero device, and a mid-spec device. Do them both properly, and if WP8 performs well, they'll then have the ability to diversify into more phones to capture more of the market.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I was really hoping the 820 was going to be a similar relation to the 800 and 900. I love the features of the 920, but what is with the obsession of making these massive phones? I'd love to have the 920s features, in an 800 package, and sadly the 820 isn't that. The 800 can easily be used with one hand.... the 920 is about the same size as a Galaxy S3, and that thing is massive.

It may actually be a few mm shorter.

I have a HTC One X, dimensions are:-

height 134.36 mm
Width 69.9
Depth 8.9mm
weight 130g

I think the Sgs3 is marginally taller than the One X but I may be wrong.

Nokia 920:-

Height 130.3mm
Width 70.8mm
Depth 10.77mm
Weight 185g

Nokia Lumia 820

height 123.8mm
Width 68.5mm
Depth 9.9mm
Weight 160g

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
And to be fair, Nokia are skint. They can't afford to have a range of 50 different phones, to suit the needs of every single consumer.

While true, they don't need to make a variation for every single consumer, the current direction of being able to only get the best features on the massive phone is getting annoying. Gizmodo just posted an article on this very issue, why are the "smaller" variation phones, also crappier from a specs perspective?

When Did Small Phones Become Crappy Phones? - Gizmodo

I would love a Lumia 920 in an 800 sized package, not a feature stripped, smaller phone.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 820 is looking pretty good in comparison with the HTC 8S. 4.3" instead of 4.0" screen, 8 gb instead of 4 gb onboard storage, 1 GB instead of 512 mb ram, and an 8 megapixel, f/2.2 camera instead of 5 megapixel, f/2.8. I think the 8S's case is more attractive, but other than that, the 820 walks all over it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3