(UK) Lumia 820 at Carphone Warehouse - FREE wireless charging pad!

Markerton

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
For those looking to upgrade to the Lumia 820 in the UK, Carphone Warehouse are offering a FREE wireless charging pad.

Deal located here.

If you scroll down to the Wireless charging section, it's in the brackets:

"(wireless charging plate now available for FREE with your order)".

Thought I'd let you all know. Maybe a tip for the site?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Been looking around for pricing info and this seems like a good deal to me. As far as I can tell the Nokia Lumia 820/920 wireless charging plate will retail for ?54.99 inc. VAT ($88) when sold seperately, which makes this quite a good deal!

Only thing holding me back from getting this is whether the phone browser has Adobe Flash with it and if the lack of Guerilla Glass is going to let the device down.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You cannot buy any phone these days that supports Flash. Not Android *, not iPhone.

(* i did read an older version of flash was still available in the UK, due to iPlayer issues, but is unsupported)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
You cannot buy any phone these days that supports Flash. Not Android *, not iPhone.

(* i did read an older version of flash was still available in the UK, due to iPlayer issues, but is unsupported)
I was wondering about this. A friend of mine has a Samsung Galaxy S2 and he told me he's got flash support on his phone. I know my current HTC Hero will only play Youtube videos through the dedicated app and won't really play anything through regular internet sites, I trust this is the same on WP8 version too regardless of phone, then? Or will IE10 for WP8 play any HTML5 videos?

peterjr1boom

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I find the unlocked price ridiculous considering it; doesn't have Gorilla Glass, no beats audio, no HD, no puremotion, no built in wireless charging etc. I would have expected the price to be around ?300 to be honest

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping it would be a little cheaper too but considering it comes with a charging pad it is maybe not so bad .

CPW shop is only 5 minutes from my office so I will be checking it out and maybe purchasing it on launch day.... Sometimes the Belfast stores get the devices a day or two after mainland UK.*sigh*

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Rubbish tariffs unfortunately, and not available on Three :( I wanted to jump from Vodafone - I can get Three signal at the gf's house and the unlimited data is a massive boon!

I was wondering about this. A friend of mine has a Samsung Galaxy S2 and he told me he's got flash support on his phone. I know my current HTC Hero will only play Youtube videos through the dedicated app and won't really play anything through regular internet sites, I trust this is the same on WP8 version too regardless of phone, then? Or will IE10 for WP8 play any HTML5 videos?

Flash is available to install on Android handsets. Adobe abandoned it a while back though, and it no longer comes baked-in to Android handsets. Basically, they gave up trying to get it to run efficiently on mobile devices - it's wasted energy when HTML5 is advancing so quickly.

IE10 should be able to play HTML5 video - IE9 could. The problem with Windows Phone's browsers is some sites identify it as Internet Explorer - the desktop version. They then feed out the Flash version of the video on the assumption that you have Flash :dry This should hopefully change - the problem happens on Windows 8's Metro IE browser too. The more widespread the problem, the more likely it is that sites will fix it.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing comments (but am unable to confirm) that both the 820 and 920 are delayed for at least two weeks.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Done! :D

No estimated delivery date. Free delivery applies to mainland UK only. Hmph! Selected free delivery to store and I would imagine my new phone will be in their first batch of deliveries.

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Im now considering the 820 instead of the 920... people who have already decided please let me know what you like about the 820!

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
1. Price

2. Slightly smaller form factor

3. Nokia apps

As it is it be my first windows phone I decided to go mid range and now that I have checked out one on display in Phones 4 U I'm very happy with my decision. It sits very comfortably in the hand..

Go and check them out too if you can, it will help you come to a decision.

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
1. Price

2. Slightly smaller form factor

3. Nokia apps

As it is it be my first windows phone I decided to go mid range and now that I have checked out one on display in Phones 4 U I'm very happy with my decision. It sits very comfortably in the hand..

Go and check them out too if you can, it will help you come to a decision.
Oh nice i hope you enjoy the windows phone experience. Ive had a windows phone since it all started and i absolutely loved it. Now its time for me to try a nokia wp but im really finding it hard to decide between 820 and 920, have you seen any decent hands-on videos on the nokia 820?

Also how is the screen on 820? did you get to hold the 920 too?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss