Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 63
Like Tree3Likes
  1. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    I was all set to get the 8X but you guys are confusing me now. I don't really listen to a lot of music on my phone unless it's streaming, so neither the expandable storage nor beats audio matters much to me. Never had a Nokia so I don't know what I'm missing with Nokia apps, not too concerned about that. I definitely would like a high res screen, but some people are saying that the 822's screen actually looks better than the 8X. I'd like to see a camera comparison but I'm guessing it'd be close, maybe with the 8X having a slight edge.

    One thing I don't understand is the battery life. VZW's website says both phones get about 15 hours of usage time. But there's a huge difference in standby time - 12.5 days for the 8X vs 20.25 days for the 822. Why would there be such a big difference in one but not the other? In real world usage, am I really going to notice the difference in standby time?

    This is all very confusing to me . It'll probably come down to me just going to a store and handling the phones and seeing the screens for myself. I think that'll be the only way I can decide.
    I'm really leaning toward the 822, but I'm going to have to handle them in the store too. I don't think the 822 looks as good as the 810 and 820, but hopefully it looks better in person.
  2. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,409 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,768 Global Posts
    #27  
    Crap, Verizon just called me... they don't have Grey so I'm getting Black... sucks.
  3. dakranii's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    394 Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Crap, Verizon just called me... they don't have Grey so I'm getting Black... sucks.
    What do you mean they don't have grey? In store, available for preorder? I was eyeing grey too.
  4. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,409 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,768 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dakranii View Post
    What do you mean they don't have grey? In store, available for preorder? I was eyeing grey too.
    I don't know. It's through our corporate account. I'm a single point of contact on our account( SPOC), but they called another SPOC and said they don't have grey was black ok? So I told them yes.
  5. Shadai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #30  
    What pisses me off about the 8x which doesn't make it a slam dunk easy decision for me is that 16 GB of memory.

    Really HTC? 16GB?

    My trophy has 16 GB. What is this, 2005? What you just couldn't squeeze in another 16 in that frame? The guys that sold memory sold all the 16 GB chips to Nokia and Samsung?

    Great screen, sexy design, fast, powerful, beats audio with the better jack to amp the music I'm playing.... And not even enough space to, you know, f-ing store music.

    I have over 18 GB of music and was hoping these new phones would allow me to stop having to carry my Zune. Instead HTC does me no favors. I mean, BEATS Audio, that thing that makes music sound better? Yeah but you can't store it here.

    Hey HTC, you could have tossed in an expandable memory card slot. You'd have made customers happy and not have to pay more per phone from rising memory costs.

    F-ing honestly HTC. This is supposed to be the top of the line flagship phone. Freaking act like it.

    The fact I even have to debate between these two phones is a fail on two levels. One by HTC for stupidity in being so short sighted, and one by Verizon for being flaming idiots and not bringing the 920 to the "best 4G network".

    The 920 may sink a ship or collapse a bridge if you have it on you when on either, but at least it has enough space to store my music.
  6. Unicron109's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #31  
    I would say that if you are in the market for a lumia device and can deal with leaving Verizon then 920 on ATT is the way to go. It offers so much more than the 822 and at the same price point. To that point if you are stuck I concede there are some valid points to get the 822 though I feel either way you can't go wrong.
  7. BigCTM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron109 View Post
    I would say that if you are in the market for a lumia device and can deal with leaving Verizon then 920 on ATT is the way to go. It offers so much more than the 822 and at the same price point. To that point if you are stuck I concede there are some valid points to get the 822 though I feel either way you can't go wrong.
    No way am I leaving Verizon for att. I get reception all the time when people with att cannot. The 822 is good enough.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    11B1P likes this.
  8. nwildcat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    104 Posts
    #33  
    Well I'd say a knock against getting the 8X is also now that HTC's new Droid DNA, a 5 inch, 1080p phone is going for $199 on contract. How in the world can Verizon and HTC charge the same price for this and the 8X? Maybe this won't matter to those who are already sold on the 8X but to me it's a new negative I didn't anticipate. Means that even if I fall in love with it in person and want it over the 822 that I plan to get at the moment, I probably won't get it at the current price.
  9. Honestabebread's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by nwildcat View Post
    Well I'd say a knock against getting the 8X is also now that HTC's new Droid DNA, a 5 inch, 1080p phone is going for $199 on contract. How in the world can Verizon and HTC charge the same price for this and the 8X? Maybe this won't matter to those who are already sold on the 8X but to me it's a new negative I didn't anticipate. Means that even if I fall in love with it in person and want it over the 822 that I plan to get at the moment, I probably won't get it at the current price.
    Verizon is obviously much more comfortable subsidizing an Android phone that heavily rather than a WP8. I wouldn't feel too threatened by the DNA though. I think the true intention is to undercut the Note II, rather than stifle the 8X.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S
  10. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #35  
    I guess the 8X/822 argument comes down to better design or Nokia apps. I think the 8X is a nicer looking phone from the pictures I've seen. In pictures the 820 and 810 look better than the 822 also. I can't wait until these phones hit the stores so I can make up my mind.
  11. db4williams's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcraft View Post
    i guess the 8x/822 argument comes down to better design or nokia apps. I think the 8x is a nicer looking phone from the pictures i've seen. In pictures the 820 and 810 look better than the 822 also. I can't wait until these phones hit the stores so i can make up my mind.
    +1
    I love selling WP8 to my friends and colleagues!
  12. himurastewie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #37  
    I guess I'm one of the oddballs in that I actually like the design of the 822 over the 8X. Not sure why, exactly, but the 8X(at least in photos) looks kind of oddly tall and thin and I'm not sure I'm entirely a fan of the smooth unibody type design.

    As for specs and other things, for me, it's a no-contest. At $99 for a device bordering on (at least for VZW) flagship status I'm just not seeing the extra $100 of value in the 8X. The 822 has expandable storage, removable battery, hypersensitive display (leave it to the Finns to design a smartphone that can be used with gloves. Necessity really is the mother of invention after all.), and otherwise the same CPU/GPU, memory, and internal storage as the 8X. As has been said before in this thread, all I'm getting from the 8X is a higher resolution display, and the addition of Beats, and if it's anything like the THX sound processor in my laptop, it's a negligible bonus and just another flashy logo to stamp on the device. Is the 8X a higher quality device in less concrete terms(build quality, materials, construction method)? Possibly but having held neither I can't make that determination.

    Some others had brought up a valid point too, regarding the upcoming DNA. Yes, it's an entirely different ecosystem, but let's be honest for a moment; Android is vastly more recognizable than WP, and the spec sheet on the DNA blows any WP device out of the water. Granted, the GNote2 does the same (and was my original choice before I cancelled my order and picked up an 822). That said, it's not all about specs, but if I were a know-nothing consumer out to grab a phone either for myself or as a gift, for the same price the DNA is the natural choice. 5" is big, but not close to the 5.55" of the Note2, but dramatically larger than the 4.3" on the 8X and at 440some PPI, the clarity on the DNA will outshine the 8X as well.

    I think it comes down to Verizon's oft-speculated on feelings about Windows Phone. Verizon cut their smartphone teeth with Android and I get the feeling that they're loathe to overly promote another platform over it (especially considering the abject failure that was Kin), not to mention they must be heavily invested with manufacturers to get them to keep bringing VZW-specific Droid devices to market.

    In the end, though, hopefully we(consumers) prove VZW wrong on this one and help to make WP8 a success, but I can't say I'm holding my breath. I didn't use WP7, but I'm going to give this new version a shot. If Microsoft plays their cards right, is fast and consistent about updates and bug fixes, and if they don't play from Apple's deck and lock down the platform tighter than Fort Knox then I think they've got a good shot at being a real third player. I'm getting tired of the Samsung v Apple patent slap-fight and am happy to not be a part of it.
    Thanked by:
    Shadai 
    tk-093 likes this.
  13. BigCTM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #38  
    Well said...I keep thinking I am crazy for getting the 822 over the DNA! It's not all about specs though as you said.

    Quote Originally Posted by himurastewie View Post
    I guess I'm one of the oddballs in that I actually like the design of the 822 over the 8X. Not sure why, exactly, but the 8X(at least in photos) looks kind of oddly tall and thin and I'm not sure I'm entirely a fan of the smooth unibody type design.

    As for specs and other things, for me, it's a no-contest. At $99 for a device bordering on (at least for VZW) flagship status I'm just not seeing the extra $100 of value in the 8X. The 822 has expandable storage, removable battery, hypersensitive display (leave it to the Finns to design a smartphone that can be used with gloves. Necessity really is the mother of invention after all.), and otherwise the same CPU/GPU, memory, and internal storage as the 8X. As has been said before in this thread, all I'm getting from the 8X is a higher resolution display, and the addition of Beats, and if it's anything like the THX sound processor in my laptop, it's a negligible bonus and just another flashy logo to stamp on the device. Is the 8X a higher quality device in less concrete terms(build quality, materials, construction method)? Possibly but having held neither I can't make that determination.

    Some others had brought up a valid point too, regarding the upcoming DNA. Yes, it's an entirely different ecosystem, but let's be honest for a moment; Android is vastly more recognizable than WP, and the spec sheet on the DNA blows any WP device out of the water. Granted, the GNote2 does the same (and was my original choice before I cancelled my order and picked up an 822). That said, it's not all about specs, but if I were a know-nothing consumer out to grab a phone either for myself or as a gift, for the same price the DNA is the natural choice. 5" is big, but not close to the 5.55" of the Note2, but dramatically larger than the 4.3" on the 8X and at 440some PPI, the clarity on the DNA will outshine the 8X as well.

    I think it comes down to Verizon's oft-speculated on feelings about Windows Phone. Verizon cut their smartphone teeth with Android and I get the feeling that they're loathe to overly promote another platform over it (especially considering the abject failure that was Kin), not to mention they must be heavily invested with manufacturers to get them to keep bringing VZW-specific Droid devices to market.

    In the end, though, hopefully we(consumers) prove VZW wrong on this one and help to make WP8 a success, but I can't say I'm holding my breath. I didn't use WP7, but I'm going to give this new version a shot. If Microsoft plays their cards right, is fast and consistent about updates and bug fixes, and if they don't play from Apple's deck and lock down the platform tighter than Fort Knox then I think they've got a good shot at being a real third player. I'm getting tired of the Samsung v Apple patent slap-fight and am happy to not be a part of it.
  14. 11B1P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,083 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,401 Global Posts
    #39  
    Will we be able to perform the Internet Sharing hack on the 8X like we have on our Trophy?
  15. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak228 View Post
    I am worried about the low res screen. Has anyone seen one in person to comment?
    I haven't seen the 822, but I got to see and handle the 820 on Monday. Believe me, the screen did not look low res at ALL, and I'm coming from an iPhone 4. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the screen if they were to go with the 822.
  16. himurastewie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCTM View Post
    Well said...I keep thinking I am crazy for getting the 822 over the DNA! It's not all about specs though as you said.
    You're not. I had a Galaxy Note 2 on pre-order through VZW for two weeks before cancelling it and ordering a Lumia 822. I'm sure the DNA will be a lovely device, and from everything I've read and watched, the GNote2 is a lovely device also. But a little bit of soul searching and smoke-from-my-ears thinking I came to the conclusion that all those features and extra specs and this and that just don't add up for me and the way I use my phone. Yeah, it would be way cool to draw pictures and hand write notes with an S-Pen, but I'm an awful artist and my handwriting is atrocious. The best part of the S-Pen in my usage would be for using it as a hover for nested menus on web pages. That isn't worth $350 to me. Then add that awful brand on the home button, the delayed release, and a few other factors (the social awkwardness of a phablet is not one of them) I ultimately had to drop my pre-order. And yes, I was greatly tempted to dump VZW to the curb and grab a Note2 elsewhere, that's how much I wanted one.

    I already went over my reasoning for choosing the 822 over the 8X and I suspect I'm not going to prove myself wrong, but in the case that I am, that's what the return period is for. Though, if I ultimately decide against the 822, I may just indulge and pick up that Note2 anyway. I'm currently using an HTC Incredible and I can say that I'm thoroughly tired of it. Maybe I'm having a little bit of anti-incumbent bias but at least in my own fantasy-land, my logic is solid. :)
  17. MarineDawg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #42  
    When this devices were initially announced I concentrated my battle between the 8X and ATIV-S. SD card the ATIV was the clear winner without confirming it was going to essentially be a clone of the S-III or watered down. SD card trumps all.

    Then, like a hero's silhouette cascaded amongst the clouds of billowing smoke the 822 is described in depth. Bam as late night infomercials say, this is my next phone. I am a Win Mo convert and current HTC Trophy user. While this is my fourth HTC and I can't say I have had any issues (barring one Imagio) I could lean that direction. What sealed the deal though is I never sad down looked at my phone and said, "damn, I wish this was just more crisp." Larger yes, better res...it never crossed my mind.

    I can mull it over back and forth but the reality is from a cost standpoint versus feature coupled with what I am used to and didn't complain about...822 for me. In black, I'm boring.

    Three weeks the countdown starts tomorrow
  18. spiff_p239's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    I haven't seen the 822, but I got to see and handle the 820 on Monday. Believe me, the screen did not look low res at ALL, and I'm coming from an iPhone 4. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the screen if they were to go with the 822.
    I agree that the screen on the 820 looked a heck of a lot better than I was expecting. While I initially went with the 822 for the Nokia apps and figured that I'd just deal with the lower resolution screen, I can't see myself noticing too much that it isn't an HD display.
  19. kart38's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #44  
    I've got a Samsung Droid Charge and it uses an extremely similar screen to the 822, Super AMOLED+ at the same resolution, and can confirm that the screen should be a non issue with the 822. Is it as pixel dense as the new stuff? No. It is a great looking screen and one that will require less from the CPU/GPU and that will lead to better battery life. I know that isn't necessarily the end all for some people but for others it is quite important.

    Jason
  20. Polychrome's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    237 Posts
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    #45  
    I ended up choosing the Nokia over the HTC because despite the higher resolution on the 8X, I preferred the color saturation of the Nokia. When side by side with the 822, the colors of the 8X and even my poor 'ol Trophy just look terribly washed out.

    There's a lot that goes into a good picture, and let's face it, resolution isn't everything. LCD has always handled color terribly. Especially greens. I can't wait until we start seeng OLED TVs and stuff.
  21. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Polychrome View Post
    I ended up choosing the Nokia over the HTC because despite the higher resolution on the 8X, I preferred the color saturation of the Nokia. When side by side with the 822, the colors of the 8X and even my poor 'ol Trophy just look terribly washed out.

    There's a lot that goes into a good picture, and let's face it, resolution isn't everything. LCD has always handled color terribly. Especially greens. I can't wait until we start seeng OLED TVs and stuff.
    OLED TVs are stunning, and have been on the market for some time here. Saw a demo unit and at first I thought it was a glasses-free 3D set, but it was just a 2D OLED set. Amazing picture!
  22. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Same screen as the 900, if you've seen a Lumia 900 then you've seen the 822 screen.
    Or a Samsung GS2. Better chance seeing one of those in the wild... (minus CBD of course)
  23. mcdonsco's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #48  
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me a link for that hack! When I had my droid maxx I had free hotspot thanks to a hack for that; this was my main concern in getting a WP device is not being able to have free hotspot...
  24. Joshua Jackson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak228 View Post
    I am worried about the low res screen. Has anyone seen one in person to comment?
    Just to test the theory that 800x480 isn't much different than 1280x720, I did a test.
    Last night, I grabbed a friend's Nokia Lumia 900 (800x480) and sat it right next to my HTC 8X (1280x720).
    I couldn't tell a difference on the lock screen (with it's small notification icons and text) or the start screen (with it's small tile text).
    I was actually surprised.
    I figured that I would be able to tell on edges and small text, but I couldn't.
    I didn't dive further into things (pictures, video, web pages, etc...), but it was fairly conclusive, to me.
    From what I found with older, Windows Mobile phones, higher screen resolution needs to increase with equal higher processing power.
    My HTC Touch (240x320 and 400mhz) performed much smoother than a friend's HTC Touch Pro (480x640 and 528mhz).
    That's 1.32x the CPU and 4x the resolution (not scaling equally).
    So, the exact same processor with 2.4x the resolution should perform worse.
    I have the HTC 8x, but I will have to tip my hat to the Nokia Lumia 822 for theoretical performance.
    JJ

    Edit...
    I forgot to mention the reasons why I chose the 8X.
    Most importantly, I hate these wide phones.
    To be honest, I wish the 8X was 4" instead of 4.3".
    This is the narrowest Windows Phone 8 phone (I want to smack someone every time I have to say that).
    It fits really well into my hand, though.
    If the sides weren't as tapered as they are, I might have been swayed to the 822.
    Secondarily, it was the resolution.
    I really thought that I'd be able to tell the difference.
    It turns out, though, that I can't.
    JJ
    Last edited by Joshua Jackson; 11-24-2012 at 10:54 PM.
  25. Joshua Jackson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    #50  
    As a follow-up post...
    I went back to the Verizon store, today, to play with the 822.
    I absolutely hate the form-factor of it.
    It feels wide, squatty, and thick.
    The term that I would use to describe the 8X is "svelte".
    The term that I would use to describe the 822 is "pudgy".

    It's odd that I am having such a hard time wanting the 822, though.
    I'm, normally, heavy on the "form follows function" side.
    I just can't seem to get over the way the 822 looks and feels, though.
    I want the ability to wear my gloves and operate the phone (I've had multiple cold mornings, this past week).
    I want the microSD slot (I ran out of space the first night and had to remove mp3s, two times after that, to install programs).
    I want the AMOLED display.
    But, crap, I don't want to give up how my 8X looks and feels.

    Oh, and I want the free phone and the $100 gift card, from Walmart, and the free earbuds, from Nokia!!!
    I paid $200 for my 8X and got jack-diddly!!!
    JJ
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions