Verizon: Nokia Lumia 822 vs HTC 8X

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure why ANYONE would pick the HTC 8x over the Lumia 822

which phone are you going for and why?

I currently have the trophy and my battery has pretty much crapped out on me at this point it wont stay charged for longer than 35-45 mins and shorter than that if im browsing the web or using apps and thats off of a full charge. I get random reboots and freezes at times too. At this point im done with HTC phones.

The lumia 822 has a better battery life rating, 16 gbs of storage in the phone with a microsd slot for MORE memory,cheaper price Nokia's support and exclusive apps. the only advantage the 8x has over the 822 is the screen resolution.

why would anyone get the 8x with limited storage space over the 822?

Now im thinking about adding a line to get one or either just selling my trophy on ebay or something and getting the 822 for full retail because i have to keep my unlimited data.

anyone else going with the 822 over the 8x?

blindfromthesun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have debated this question quite a few times. There are definitely more pros for the 822 imo. Expandable storage, Nokia support, superior battery life (look at talk time compared to the 8X) and super sensitive display are all selling points.

The screen, design, and camera are the only "minuses" I can think of. Even so, the differences aren't deal bfeakers.The design isn't too bad- the curves are starting to grow on me, although I dislike the carrier branding. The camera has a smaller aperture 2.2 as opposed to the 2.0 in the 8X. The 822 should take similar quality photos to the Lumia 900. Lastly, the screen in low resolution but amoled. It should be a huge improvement over our Trophys'.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the trophy and my battery has pretty much crapped out on me at this point it wont stay charged for longer than 35-45 mins and shorter than that if im browsing the web or using apps and thats off of a full charge. I get random reboots and freezes at times too. At this point im done with HTC phones.

For what its worth my wife has the Trophy and loves it. In fact I may end up with marital issues if I force her away from it to a new device that she doesn't like as much (she constantly says great things about it, and it has truly been our most stable device ever...still has great battery life). Don't get me wrong - I want a Nokia (considering jumping to AT&T for the 920) or would likely get the 822 on Verizon, but I have nothing bad to say about the Trophy. My HTC Thunderbolt that cr@pped out on me...that's another story.

If I didn't own NOK (at a substantial loss at the moment) I might even consider the 8X :)

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I saw a Lumia 820 in person the other day, which should have the same screen. It didn't look bad, but the HTC 8X and Lumia 920's screens were definitely noticeably better.

I can't go back to an 800x480 screen; even the 960x540 screen on my RAZR isn't doing it for me at this point.

I'm likely picking up an HTC 8X on day one.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I can easily see why people would pick the 8x! I was all about the 8x at first but then after much consideration the only thing holding me back from the L822 was the screen resolution. After much though I decided the battery life and expandable memory (with the Nokia exclusive apps being a bonus) was worth it to get the 822 instead. Glad they both have the same processor and ram so I know the OS will be just as smooth on the L822.

However I completely understand if people chose the 8x over the L822. Both are great devices and each have their pro's and cons. I will however say that I do enjoy the looks of the 8x A LOT more than the L822.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Definitely going with the 8x, I'm a big fan of HTC my Trophy rocks. I did replace the OEM battery with a mugenpower battery almost immediately after getting it so i've never had a battery problem. I hope that the battery in the 8x will be sufficient, but with the addition of wireless charging I will probably end up topping it off all the time anyway. IMO the only draw back of the 8x is the non-expandable storage, and I'm seriously considering just paying the $100 a year for xbox music and be done with worrying about storage.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am worried about the low res screen. Has anyone seen one in person to comment?

I thought the screen on the 820 looked pretty great. I've seen similar specs on an Android phone and this is definitely much better looking. Maybe it's a slightly different spec but the same 800x480? Not completely sure but I wasn't disappointed with the 820 screen in the least nor was I blown away by the 920 screen. I'm guessing it makes more of a difference when watching an HD movie on your phone, so you might consider how often you plan to do that or similar activities and how important it is to you.

Go see the screen in person. With all the worrying I've seen over the low res on the 822/820/810, after seeing it, seems like people shouldn't be nearly as up on arms about that aspect of the phone. It will depend on the person, for me, on this phone, this screen won't be an issue.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Aesthetics could be the main reason to go with one device over the other.

All those positives, but if the person only uses it for calls, sms and email, music (beats... yes it is overrated), the 8X might be the best option. The wireless charging might also be a positive for them as well.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I chose the 822 for the cheaper price ($450 vs $550 full retail), Nokia apps, and for the fact that it'll probably get better battery life since the screen isn't pushing as many pixels. I almost never watch videos on my phone so the resolution shouldn't bother me at all. Considering the fact that the 822 has essentially the same guts (processor, RAM, etc) it will have very good performance as well. Also, I'm 11 months from an upgrade so this doesn't have to last me the duration of a 2-year contract (20 months until an upgrade).

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
You're gonna have a whole new issue to worry about then...Data charges.

I would if I relied on streaming solely, but with the ability to download and store locally (like Spotify) I can download what ever im listening to mostly at any given time then if I want to listen to something random from my full library I can stream it

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the 8X because of the design, screen, and the headphone amp. I have it for my work phone and its great. Thinking about using my grandma'S upgrade to get an 822 for my personal phone though just because its cheaper and I just dropped $200 on my Intuition, which is glitchy and way too big.

As for colors, the white 822 is Way too glossy for my taste. The black is bland, but the gray. My lawd. So Sexy in gray.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb