Pointless expandable sd card

bobo616

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
What is the point of having an expandable sd card slot if your are restricted to what you can save on it, basically the phone only has 5gbspace for you to save all your apps to, this is a tiny amount?

Plus it seems the os won't let you import videos into a private app, so any videos you might not want anyone seeing(in my case videos of my kids) could be accessed by any app or person that can access your photo area. I may have to go back to ios for these reasons.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Its pretty simple.

The whole reason people moan about lack of storage, is they want to put huge music, video and/or picture collections onto the phone.

This is completely possible with the removable cards. Private apps will definitely be able to access the content, but they'll likely need to be WP8 apps using APIs that weren't present on WP7.

5GB just for apps should be plenty.

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with your point, but I also think this is less of an issue, especially now that so much of the content digitally is steaming, like Pandora, Spotify, Xbox Music, and so on.

I do forsee this being "fixed" or updated in a future update. I'm almost certain of it. Remember that Android didn't allow this functionality until a later update either.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
There was a WPCentral podcast months ago that covered this. Basically due to security within apps and the api's you won't be able to store them on a card. They are to easy to hack.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Huh. One of those issues I knew about, but didn't make the connection how little space there is to work with. It may not be a deal killer, but it is a strike against it. I do not download a ton of games, but I do download a ton of tools. Will have to really check into how much space I use.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The average WP app is 3.5 megabytes. With 5 gigs of free space, that means you will be able to store "only" about 1,460 apps on your device before you run out of space...

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I got my 820 last night and already I only have 2.6GB left; apps are only taking 1GB so I'm losing space somewhere else. My big question is; will this be enough space for me (all music and pictures are saved to the SD card)?

haggishunter81

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got my 820 last night and already I only have 2.6GB left; apps are only taking 1GB so I'm losing space somewhere else. My big question is; will this be enough space for me (all music and pictures are saved to the SD card)?

I have the same issue, I got rid of stuff that's never used but when I go into the storage options it's telling me that I have almost 2gb of 'other' being used, this plus the almost 2gb of system memory means I have just over 4gb, I cannot find out what this 'other' memory being used is for, it's not apps, music or pictures, if I can reduce that the memory situation would be,much better...

haggishunter81

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's overhead, etc WP OS is using to run your phone.

Ok thanks, only thing i don't get is that my girlfriend got the same phone a few days before me and her phone is using almost 1gb less in this memory field than mine.... Same carrier, contract etc. I don't understand why there is such a massive difference since everything about them is the same. Dunno if this helps but if on the main screen and you swipe to the large list of apps, hers are indexed alphabetically, i just have a long list.... Any thoughts on that? I had a big rant earlier about this phone, i really want to like it but don't want to regret keeping it.

Hammered Pizza

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok thanks, only thing i don't get is that my girlfriend got the same phone a few days before me and her phone is using almost 1gb less in this memory field than mine.... Same carrier, contract etc. I don't understand why there is such a massive difference since everything about them is the same. Dunno if this helps but if on the main screen and you swipe to the large list of apps, hers are indexed alphabetically, i just have a long list.... Any thoughts on that? I had a big rant earlier about this phone, i really want to like it but don't want to regret keeping it.

Are you using any apps that are saving large files to your phone - a podcaster, or YouTube downloader for example?

haggishunter81

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you using any apps that are saving large files to your phone - a podcaster, or YouTube downloader for example?

no, don't think so anyway, no podcasting apps, i have the Microsoft youtube app but i thought that was just a quick link to the browser. I have removed every single app that i can and just put on what i had on my old phone. What about halo waypoint? I have that but i started to check how much they took up and they're all small apps...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss