Display glass with different surfaces

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a strange problem with my 820.

The glass front does have a stripe (2cm thick and 8 cm long) on the display that has a different surface than the rest of the display.

If the screen is cleaned perfectly you can't notice it. But the stripe attracts fingerprint a lot more.

You cant even feel the difference with your finger. A small piece of toilet paper with a little water is needed to feel a additional resistant when sliding over the surface.

Could not clean it off. It's like micro structure.

Does anyone has the same problem? Not sure if i should return it (bought online with contract)

Worst case with lots of fingerprints and bad light direction to show you the problem.
IMG_0083.JPG

Last edited:

jayman713

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
When I purchased the Lumia 820 I was replacing the Samsung Focus. I tried using the same holster as the Focus and it was a little snug. I noticed almost the same thing you are talking about on the screen of the 820 after sliding in and out of the holster on the first day. I believe it was caused from rubbing the inside of the holster which is pretty worn from 2 years of use. I exchanged the phone for a new one and threw away the holster. I since have purchased a new holster that does not rub against the screen and everything seems OK. However I am concerned as to why this may have happened in the first place. I would definitely exchange the phone for a new one!

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I exchanged the phone for a new one and threw away the holster.
So you could not get the screen perfectly clean again or did it attracted fingerprints more than normal?
I really don't want to return the phone because something that small and first world problem like . But if is really a faulty device... it plays kind of "unfair" to me ;)

jayman713

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
The screen had this haze/streak that you could not really see if you cleaned the screen well, as soon as you had the phone in your pocket for a little while the one area where the streak is would be visible again.

rocknroll2012

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue on my Lumia 820, when the screen is clean everything looks fine, but when it has been touched a few times very fine long lines appear, when I bought my phone I also purchased the O2 Large Universal Smartphone Starter Pack and the holster that came with the phone has these pattern of long fine lines on the inside, the width of the damage is the same width as the magnet.

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I decided to get my device repaired. They might can clean it or i will get a new device. I think something during the coating process of the glass went wrong.
I had this issue since day one but thought/hoped it will clean it self off after a while.

Will post an update when the phone returns to me.

Last edited:

jansink

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Only this 'fingerprints' won't wipe off. Looks like they are on the inside of the glass... Strange, but I myself think there is air behind the glass.

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Update: My phone is back in my hands after a week of repair . They replaced the screen instead of the whole device. The surface of the screen is homogeneous now. I think it was a problem with the oleophobic coating of the screen.

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi what exactly do you mean by "The surface of the screen is homogeneous now"?
I thought the problem was gone. But I'm back with the same problem just at a different spot of the screen. The faulty surface is a fingerprint magnet. The touch and feel is the nearly the same( the faulty part has a slightly higher frictional resistance). Just the fingerprints stay longer.
I might buy a screen protector to protect my screen from getting scratches and my fingerprints.

Bspain

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have exactly the same on my screen. I think it is actually the top laminate has been scraped as mine just suddenly appeared after a drunken night out.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I have this on my 820 and also my wife had this issue with her 620. We have sent her 620 back to Nokia to get them to look at it. We should know in the next few days what they are going to do about it.

mhmdzamir

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I would be interested in the answer to the screen protector question as well.

yes...bcos i dont want to send the phone for check and have to leave the phone there...but just now my friend drop my phone on the table and now there are a little scratch mark on the screen...so sad right now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel