Method for the transfer of music from home PC to Lumia without USB cable

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My main media PC sits in my basement and does not have a monitor attached (just a small build in LCD touchscreen) and I download a number of podcasts daily which I then transfer to my phone so I can listen to them while I'm driving. I just bought a lumia 820 3 weeks ago. I'm coming from a BB torch 9800. I am seriously disappointed in the lack of the ability to transfer MP3's etc.. to my new phone via my home WiFi. This is something I've been doing with my BB for a couple years and I didn't realize these new phones weren't going to use Zune which has transfer via WiFi same as BB.

OK, So I know this method isn't wonderful or fast but at least I don't need to sit at my PC and plug in constantly.

Since I still have my old BB I transfer the files to my BB first which is done on Wifi so it only takes a couple minutes. Then I transfer them to my Lumia via bluetooth. Not very elegant but it's working.BT is slow but I can at least do it while I'm shaving or having my morning coffee and no need to plug in. I did try a direct BT transfer from my PC but the BT signal is too weak to reach my second floor in the house, At least with the cheap USB BT dongle I used. If I find a better one I'll give that another try.

If anyone has a better way to acheive the same thing I'm all ears.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
My suggestion would be to get your files to sync-up with your MS Account cloud storage. There is also the option of using a remote PC access app. Not sure if you can transfer files via those apps.

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion would be to get your files to sync-up with your MS Account cloud storage. There is also the option of using a remote PC access app. Not sure if you can transfer files via those apps.

Thanks, I'd like to avoid the cloud if possible just so I don't eat up my internet bandwidth transferring the same file 3 times. So far I'm not overly impressed with Skydrive and I'm not sure I'll keep using it. I'v elooked a some of the free VNC and RDP apps but haven't found one that would do a file transfer yet.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you have PCs not in your basement? You could map a network drive (or use NFS or whatever) to share the files on the media server, and then sync them to your phone via a cable from the other PC.

tehtog

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Zune was perfect for what you're talking about and would have done this all automatically but I'm given to understand it only works for WP7 now. Teamviewer is a decent RDP type application that does file transfers but I'm going to second mapping the network drive. That way you can add the remote podcast folders to a podcast library on your pc and not notice any difference.

Codemeup

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
You may wirelessly transfer/copy music files to your Windows Phone via a web browser using the updated version 1.0.2.0 of Music Drop by Codeceptive Studios. The first version was great but the new one is even better! And what's best about this app: it's fast, efficient and most of all free ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes