Nokia 820 won't turn on or charge

Terbo38

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue. Before I I went to bed the battery was @ approx 40%. When I woke up in the morning the phone was off so I thought the battery had died. Plugged in the charger but it did not charge and nothing on the screen. Left it for about 30 mins and still nothing. Pressed and held all buttons for about 5 seconds, phone vibrated and it turned on. Battery shows 47%

Terbo38

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Just an update. Phone is 3weeks old now and has just switched off on its own (battery still had juice) 4times. The only way to reset it is to either take out and reseat the battery or sometimes pressing and holding all the buttons for about 5 seconds. Service provider has agreed to swap it out for another phone today. Hope the new one plays better

Lauren Emma

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
my fella is having the same problems with his phone, he's only had it 10 days and its already done it twice... ur tips were useful to get it bk on, but we're taking it back this weekend and see if a new one will work, if not then we'll have to get him a different phone altogether... hows your new model holding up??

Lauren x

wilkid

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have had exactly the same problem happen to me twice now and I 've only had the phone 5 days :(
At night it seems to turn itself off and won't switch back on... The only way I have found to switch it back on is to remove the battery and put it back in - very annoying. Thinking of taking the phone back this weekend and changing it.

Dab Denja

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I am also having this problem.
Phone will not turn on although it is fully charged.
Removal and replacement of the battery is the only solution.
:cry:

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This is a software problem, WP8's, to be exact. Other users are experiencing the same problems. Approached Nokia Care about it, they don't seem to recognize that this problem exists.

Next time, save yourself the effort of popping out the battery. Holding the vol down + power button for a reboot and it does the trick.

mark0066

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
My phone is about 3 weeks old and during the last 10 days the phone has 'died' over night a half dozen times although there was life left in the battery. Even more annoying than the re-boot via the 'on' button/volume control combination is that when the phone returns to life I need to correct both time and date which always reverts to 1st SEPTEMBER 2012 at 5.am! Also some of my SMS settings were changed. But strangely not after every re-boot. Not good at all. Very dissapointed over all. :straight:

AudreyL

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My lumia 820 is still refusing to turn on, even when holding the Vol down/power buttons. I originally thought it was a battery issue, and At&t sent me a new battery which has done nothing. Any advice?

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Is it normal that when the battery is low - around 5% - and I plug my 820 in the device just turns off and then turns on again ? Very strange behaviour I'd think.
Also, I can't turn off the device and then charge it without it automatically turning on again, why is this?

ruthietootie

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This has also happened to my 820 on 3 occasions. Had to pull the battery to get it to reboot. Had my phone for about a mth and a 1/2. The "crash" seems to occur while the phone is charging. I hope an os or nokia update corrects this issue and soon as it's a concern

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is it normal that when the battery is low - around 5% - and I plug my 820 in the device just turns off and then turns on again ? Very strange behaviour I'd think.
Also, I can't turn off the device and then charge it without it automatically turning on again, why is this?
The device will turn on whenever it is charging. That is how it is designed. That had been the case with the iPhone too http://forums.imore.com/iphone-4/203498-charging-iphone4-while-turned-off-possible-not.html

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen twice over the last few weeks. I leave it on its wireless charging pad overnight next to the bed and in the morning the phone has been off BUT trying to turn on using the power button as you normally would does not work, you need to hard reset.

Removing the battery or volume down + power + camera reboots it fine. It is NOT a low battery issue as 1. its on the wireless charger and 2. it has full battery after the reboot. I've been wondering if it was a s/w update or just a crash in the OS that causing it.

Last edited:

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think this is more of a Lumia 820 issues than a WP8 issue. I've sold dozens of 820s and 920s and have seen this problem only in the Lumia 820. I think that the random reboot is a WP issue (every WP phone I've had has done this) but it seems only the 820 won't turn on unless you hard reset or pull the battery.

Miekk4

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a single problem with my 3 month's of using 820. My old LG E900 rebooted itself almost on daily basis, but I noticed that after a factory reset it became less frequent. So my guess it's a software issue related to a faulty app.

vaishnav

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
my lumia 820 goes off and to get it back on i have to remove battery:( anybody pls tell me how to overcome this problem

Last edited:

paulwayres

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Had the same problem, seems to be triggered when passing from one carrier to another. Try a hradr re-boot - push all three butoons down together for between 5 - 10 seconds. worked well for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo