NFC Confusion

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, just been into the Virgin Media Store and been asking about the phones. I was recommended a 920 over the 820 as apparently the NFC is only built in to the 920 apparently. Now I knew about needing a special backplate to get wireless charging on the 820 but according to the rep if I don't get that backplate NFC just will not function period. Could someone confirm or deny this for me please? He said a Nokia rep told him but I can't be certain I can trust him.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't make any sense to me. I think he's confused on the back plate for wireless charging. I don't have a 920 but my wife has a Nokia 808 and there is no special back plate for NFC. Her's is just a plain plastic cover and her NFC works. I could be wrong.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I have an AT&T 820 (same hardware) and NFC works out of the box because it comes with an NFC sticker that works as soon as you power on the device. For wireless charging, yea perhaps because I think the back plates have a special chip or whatever that corresponds with the built in NFC, but the phone itself has NFC built in...

ThisDudePaul

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got an 820 also and was wondering a similar question.
As I understand it, the 920 back plate allows NFC AND wireless charging,
while the 820 only allows NFC.
So if I wanted wireless charging on the 820, I would have to get a separate
back plate that supports NFC AND wireless charging.
OR
Is NFC actually built into the phones and just the back plate allows for
wireless charging?

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
NFC is built into the phone, ignore the crap the rep just told you. You can enable it/disable it in Settings.

The wireless charging shell is called a wireless charging shell and not WC+NFC because it adds wireless charging to its capabilities. So, Paul, it's the latter.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
NFC is built into the phone, ignore the crap the rep just told you. You can enable it/disable it in Settings.

Thanks. I'm not entirely sure why the rep would say such misinformation unless it was a genuine mistake. Reason for this is Virgin Media don't sell the 820 OR 920. So why would he lie? He said aside from the removable battery the 920 was better in every conceivable way, as well. Obviously didn't realise just how big a need a removable battery is for me.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm not entirely sure why the rep would say such misinformation unless it was a genuine mistake. Reason for this is Virgin Media don't sell the 820 OR 920. So why would he lie? He said aside from the removable battery the 920 was better in every conceivable way, as well. Obviously didn't realise just how big a need a removable battery is for me.
Well. There is still the microSD slot and changeable shells. Hope you like your future 820. Waiting for my NFC tags to ship so I can have some fun with my 820's NFC.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well. There is still the microSD slot and changeable shells. Hope you like your future 820. Waiting for my NFC tags to ship so I can have some fun with my 820's NFC.

Yeah, I am looking forward to the changeable shells. I plan to use black for work, and some vibrant colour for partying, maybe purple (I have a habit of ended up being 'whipped' by the lass I get with so a girly colour would be a subtle hint to that. I've included a link to what I mean by being whipped). So looking forward to it though. Will get interesting if I end up with an Apple fan girl though.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whipped

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nice to see you enjoying life but hope you don't party every night though! The case is a serious pain in the @ss to remove, just the thought of changing it every week makes me cringe, imagine everyday!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Nice to see you enjoying life but hope you don't party every night though! The case is a serious pain in the @ss to remove, just the thought of changing it every week makes me cringe, imagine everyday!

How easy is it compared to the HTC TITAN? I have no issues on the HTC getting the back plate off to change it.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
How easy is it compared to the HTC TITAN? I have no issues on the HTC getting the back plate off to change it.
I have no TITAN to compare with, but the gap between the shell and the phone is very small and tight. Even with nails, they've chipped off trying to remove the shell. Takes some practice and it'll be easier.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have no TITAN to compare with, but the gap between the shell and the phone is very small and tight. Even with nails, they've chipped off trying to remove the shell. Takes some practice and it'll be easier.

So do you think my best option is to go to Phones4U and ask there? After all, they will have used the TITAN as they also sold it. It is still a great phone but I do wish it could run WP8. Thank god for SIM-free phones! I can upgrade as soon as I have the money for it. Gonna keep the titan though once I get my Nokia, I need a WP7 device for developer testing. And the titan fits the bill. Got a few friends with a 610 that I can also developer unlock. Presumably a few of my friends will also grab the 620 which can also get the dev unlock. Indeed that has given me an idea. Start a developer society at university. I'm going back to study a PGCE so can start up the society.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The Titan has a totally different mechanism, i.e. The button to unlock the back. The 820 back is very snug and clips into place and you need to prise one of the top corners away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6